2020 WEC: Hypercar Class | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2020 WEC: Hypercar Class

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    And then there is FIA rally. Very double standard for safety within the FIA.

As for photographers, just don't allow them to get close to the cars. Would you like than instead Peter? Otherwise although they are still important William is half right.

william likes this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, I got that, but what avoids that someone put a license plate on a prototype and tries to run it as road legal car, like in the GT1 days? It would be extremely easy specailly for those who already have built a prototype.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I have seen some photographers refusing to move from very dangerous areas, and marshals having to forcibly "evacuate" them at severall tracks.
    Once at Silverstone, they manage to delay the start of some races thanks to their foolishness.
    They think they are immune to danger because of their press card and wearing a tabard!!
    Don't expect me to shed tears for people with that attitude.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's the job of the series organisers to close all these loopholes.
    It would be up to the rule makers to impose requirements for a car to be acceptable as a Hypercar before it's allowed to race.
    Like having a minimum production quantity in its road version, also proof that it is marketed in different countries during a minimum period .

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yeah right... you know very much about them... I can only shake my head about your generalization

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    That is exactly what happens... after McNish´s brain fart at Le Mans the section behind the Dunlop Bow became simply a red zone. Whenever someone has an off no matter how stupid it was that section becomes a red zone. There are tracks out there were you have more red than green zones...
    And I don´t question that standing in front of a FIA-fence is more dangerous than standing behind a FIA-fence but I think to post that only the lives of spectators matters and not those of the marshalls is way off. Keep in mind that those marshalls are volunteers and without them there would be no racing.
    Even if Mr.William does not care about the photographers...

bigodino, F1tommy and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They just said on the LM24 broadcast that there are 1,800 marshalls there. Crazy. I think that is more than the number of spectators at most SRO events.

8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But they are not important ;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

The spectators at SRO events? I agree..

:D

GuyIncognito likes this.
  10. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    On the subject of photographers, on the other hand we have long-time marginal talents working
    on contract with major manufactures whom have been kicked out of tracks for (get this...) walking
    on the track surface at night while races were still going on. But, wackos such as this get their
    contracts extended year after year after year.

This and the fact that there are press rooms full of low-life no talents whom worm their way into
    the scene on the perception that they're going to make a fortune in racing photography. We know
    the kind, they wear tight fitting photo vests, use point & shoot digis, set up a Facebook or Instragram
    account, think that this is real media and makes my skin literally crawl walking into a media center room.

These are the very wankers whom are always going into areas where they're not authorized, causing
    event organizers headaches and among the reasons track's insurance rates are skyrocketing which
    is why access is eroding at tracks around the world.

BHW

william likes this.
  14. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think i read/heard something about minimum 20 road cars need to be produced within 2 years.

If you do it clever as a manufacturer, your customers going to pay the bill for the program... immagine a production of 50-100 ferrari wec hypercars, road legal, 3-4M each...

15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And why are the press officers around the world not able to differ between them and those who are actually working? Isn´t that their job to look into the portfolio and the usage of their images???
    But I guess it is easier to give an accreditation to everybody bringing a letter of a "publisher" and have the work done in 5 minutes to do different things afterwards...
    I can tell you that I have dealt with about the same number of unknowledged press officers as I did with colleagues....
    That said it still does not justify the posting that their lifes do not really matter....

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The same old problem that there's always been on the PR end of racing...

Too many people with no knowledge of racing. Rather, they're usually recent college
    graduates with shiny new communications degrees and their father knows someone, etc.

The ALMS had just such a communications director back around 2006 or so. When she
    was introduced to the attending media at Sebring, she was being asked some rather pointed
    questions which the poor thing had no answers for. One of my British colleagues said,
    "Congratulations on your high school diploma sweetheart, welcome to racing" under
    his breath.

Sad as it is, this is the state of things pretty much globally.

BHW

88porsche944 likes this.
  17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Could Porsche use the 919 tub to create a new minimally road legal race car, a la the GT1?

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think the LMP1 cars are too narrow to fit a passenger seat, but I am not sure if that is an actual requirement of a road car.

But why bother, since a road going car isn't a requirement of the hypercar class. Full prototypes and road based cars are accepted. Given the lap time targets, couldn't Cadillac just enter a DPi and say it is their hypercar prototype?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    For what reason would anyone put a passenger seat in a hypercar? Let her sit on your lap !;)

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I suppose her airbags could be used as yours?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    watch the video of the Toyota test mule above...it has two people in it.

granted, their shoulders are touching and they'd knock each other unconscious in a crash, but still....

part of the ACO's goofy rules.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They could impose minimum cockpit dimensions, and also minimum doors dimension like they used to have years ago.
    In the 60s, the prototypes had to have 120cm cockpit width, 25 cm windscreen, and "luggage space" for two 40x60x20cm suitcases, also carry a spare Wheel !
    The cars had to be designed around these requirements.
    I can't see why something similar couldn't be imposed for the Hypercars.
    Why not impose a minimum frontal area to avoid excessive designs?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  23. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    With the word "goofy" being the key word in describing the ACO.

william and GuyIncognito like this.
  24. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The last set of LMP regs I looked at has very specific requirements for the cockpit of the vehicle. They are symmetric across the center plane of the vehicle, so in theory, you should be able to fit a second person on the other side from the driver if there weren't a bunch of electronics filling that space. A very tight fit? Absolutely, but it does appear that a "two seater" design is considered as a premise of the regs.

william likes this.
  25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I agree that this whole scheme is far from perfect, and share many complaints about racing in general and the rules and whatnot, but I also admit that I find this one of the more exciting ideas in a long time. Who doesn't want to see what different groups are going to produce?

Historically, prototypes were purpose-built cars for racing, while GT cars were converted road cars. Early on, the "conversion" process was minimal.
    Today, even entry level sports cars can only be enjoyed to their fullest on track, so the line between "race cars" and "road cars" has gotten somewhat obscured.

Look at the Valkyrie - is it really a "road" car? What road would that be? And why does a road car have to have 2 seats? Why are prototypes prevented from using center-mounted seats? Why is it unimaginable to start with a prototype race car and modify it to be street legal, while building a road car with performance that can't possibly be exploited on the road is commonplace?

The one thing I think is crap is bringing BOP and any form of cost containment. BS. These are hypercars, so have at it. I don't even care who wins, I just want to watch the spectacle.