2021 Bentley Continental GT - New Purchase - What to pay? | FerrariChat

2021 Bentley Continental GT - New Purchase - What to pay?

Discussion in 'British' started by 348SStb, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Looking for some guidance from experienced Bentley buyers and others “in the know” about this model specifically. I am looking to buy new from inventory or else order a car.

I recently was made privy to information on dealer invoice. Apparently the base price has a margin of 7% from MSRP down to invoice. Options have a margin of 13%.

1) I don’t believe Bentley dealers are working on a margin of only 7% on the base price of the vehicles. There has to be trunk money or other incentive/back-end money. Can someone expand?
    —>Dealers of Ferrari and Maserati have margins of over 20%. Luxury brands have significant margins. Again- I am not buying the 7% thing.

2) Wondering what an acceptable offer would be on a $250k new Bentley. Please chime in.
    —>If Aston Martin and McLaren can mark down cars by the tens of thousands, I don’t see why the same shouldn’t hold true in certain scenarios in connection with a new Bentley. Yes, it’s a new model. But cars need to move, and not every deal is the same deal or the optimal deal. There are average deals, great deals, mediocre deals, and bad deals; and no deal is often the worst deal.

3) In my opinion there should be at least 20% there for the dealer to work with. Given what the competition is doing, to me it would seem a sale at $20,000 off should be well within the cards. Thoughts?

(Disclaimer: Given my experience with ordering many, many new cars at discount, I am not a believer in the cliché that an ordered car is less likely to be significantly discounted. It’s less likely for a poor negotiator, maybe. I’m by no means an outstanding negotiator- I think I’m merely above average approaching very good. But a sold unit in advance at a discount is better than a sold unit after several weeks or months of interest paid in addition to markdown. Some managers want to sell cars, and whether they discount it now or later is immaterial to them. The point I make when negotiating is the only difference between a staffmember configuring an allocation for the showroom or me configuring an allocation for myself is the dealer takes far less risk in the second scenario. It doesn’t make sense to say the customer should obtain an inferior deal when by ordering a car he is removing all the dealer’s risk.)

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    7% of $250,000 = $17,500, so you are starting to get into the $20K ballpark. Then there is the dealer "holdback" which is paid later and thought to be in the 2%-3% range. So, bingo, you're there in the $20k ballpark as you surmise. Then there is the trunk money you mentioned that the manufacturer may grant to a dealer (out of their manufacturing margins) from time to time to move inventory. Last month, Lexus was supposedly granting $5,000 on the new LC 500 which is about a $100K car. Scaling up, a Bentley might be double or more that, but it really depends on overall business conditions and is a wild card.

As for ordering a car, that can possibly cut either way. When I was in the market for a Lexus in 2019, their delivery time was so long that 1/4 to 1/3 of the model year would have passed before the car would arrive leaving little remaining time before the next year would come on the scene. By contrast, it appears that persons ordering a new Corvette C8 receive their cars in about 2 months (1/6 of a model year).

Car buying sucks!

3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I specced and ordered a new bentayga for my wife and got £15k off a msrp of £195k

MB224 likes this.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Curious if there is any update on your purchase?

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Stepped aside for now- didn’t order. Might be back in the saddle but not sure.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    so, I’m kind of looking at the same car, never owned a Bentley before, always skeptical of the depreciation and maintenance. Any idea if the new ones are any more or less reliable? Considering a lease over purchase, not sure if that’s smart or not?

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I’ve been told by various people in the business that the new ones are much better cars. A service manager who was very candid with me during a tour of the shop boasted about how good these new cars are as compared with the older ones, which he readily admitted were maintenance headaches. Another service manager I know for many years who was previously involved with Ferrari told me candidly that the new car has been bulletproof with very few warranty claims.

Naturally, if you’re leasing, the only service money you’ll need to take out of your pocket is the 2nd year service (first year included), which is an oil change and brake fluid change. Spark plugs are done at year 3 (costly job due to inflated labor hours and labor rates and ripoff spark plugs markup), but you can let the dealer take care of that one after lease surrender :)

Hawkeye likes this.
  8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ve owned a number of Bentley’s inc Conti GT, Flying Spur, and a Mulsanne. In my experience maintenance is included for the first year or three depending on model. For the ones that didn’t have extended maintenance I don’t recall the cost being out of line... a couple grand a year plus consumables (they do eat tires). Depreciation should be less severe for one immediately after a body style change so if you buy new you’re probably ok... although if you lease the residual may be weak because they’re forecasting with some sales data out of older style cars that have a sharper drop from msrp precipitated by the new style. Speaking for myself I haven’t had any reliability issues with them. In fact I sold my last GTC speed to a neighbor at 18k miles and the car now has 145k on it... he drives the hell out of it and hasn’t had major repairs. I think with VGoA behind them they’re pretty robust and you’ll be fine.

9. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    the new bentayga arrived on march 1st , 3years servicing and warranty included in purchase price- I believe this applies to all brand new cars (not sure about the usa though)

10. RJJJ

RJJJ Rookie

Apr 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Reynold
    Hi OP, is there any updates on your continental GT order? I am looking for the same car, but never bought any car over 200k before. Not sure how the negotiation works and what %off should we aim for. It is said Ferrari usually only MSRP or higher, lambo and Mclaren can have some discounts. quite confused with Bentley though, as I didnt event find a bentley forum....

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Don't know where you got your Corvette info but it is incorrect. Literally NO ONE is getting an ordered C8 in 2 months. Multiply that 2 months by 6-8 (if you're lucky) for C8 delivery times.

BJK likes this.
  12. chopschopschops

Nov 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anybody been in contact with any Bentley dealers recently? How long is the wait for a MY22 base GT coupe, ordered from the factory? Are custom orders marked up same as cars on the lot?

I'm looking for an itemized price list of all the options as well if anyone has. Haven't found anything online.

Thanks!