2021 F1 changes | Page 17 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    We know your a secret fanboi LOL:D

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It’s the one thing I worry about with that morphine they give me, it makes you crazy, so if I’m ever on here praising Elton, you know to ring my doctor and tell him to cut my dose, before I cut my wrists!

stavura, Ferrari 308 GTB and Bas like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144688/f1-teams-concerned-indycar-aero-means-spec-bodywork

Formula 1 cars should move to more of a ground-effect style from 2021 but there are concerns this could lead to stock bodywork like in IndyCar.

F1's bid to improve the quality of racing as part of its major new rules package in two years' time includes trying to make it easier for cars to follow one another.

One way to slash the 'dirty air' effect cars currently encounter without reducing the overall performance is to produce more downforce from underneath the cars and potentially reducing how much teams can do with the bodywork on top.

Racing Point technical director Andrew Green says the technical regulations for 2021, which are still being debated, "do take some of other formulas technology" like IndyCar.

"Moving towards more of a ground effect car going forward, that definitely comes from the north American series," said Green.

"If we're looking at trying to have the cars race closer together then I think that's the right thing to do, that makes complete sense.

"But I think at the same time, we need to keep Formula 1 at the pinnacle. It needs to be a technological amazement really.

"That's where I think the sport needs to be. It's not just about having cars that are close, it's about a bit more of a Wow factor and we need to make sure we don't lose any of that."

Red Bull's chief engineer Paul Monaghan agreed that "the way they [Indycars] generate their downforce is of interest to us".

Bas, william and 375+ like this.
  4. DF1

Bas likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Brilliant. But also they need to tackle aerodynamics still...smaller wings, clean bodies, gain aero back using ground effects.

That, combined with refueling, would be fantastic.

7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What exactly is supposedly amazing at the moment, I wonder? The way Mercedes win every race? The way the stewards only have eyes for Mercedes? The way the tyre company does an amazing job for Mercedes? The amazing number of people switching off the tv? The amazing number of people like me that instead of watching the whole of qualy, switched on for the final run just to see where ferrari ended up, then switched off again before the interviews???? Yeah, amazing

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

JLF, jpalmito, 444sp and 2 others like this.
  8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Bas likes this.
  9. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144843/f1-2021-blueprint-to-improve-racing-explained

Discussions about Formula 1's 2021 rules package have centred around bold plans for regulations designed to make grand prix racing closer, more exciting and more popular with fans.

While talks with teams to finalise F1's future direction have become very advanced, senior figures have kept many of the details locked away until now.

But as those talks progress in a bid to reach approval of the new rules by September 15, for ratification by the FIA on October 31, the first details about exactly what will change for 2021 have emerged. Here is a summary of what is being planned.

The car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

As revealed earlier on Wednesday, the car concept itself will be completely overhauled, with a new ground effect design being introduced that it is hoped will allow cars to follow each other more closely.

The series of Venturi tunnels under the car that feed a large twin diffuser will help produce much more of the car's downforce, and will help make cars less sensitive to turbulence than the current generation.

F1 still has some issues to solve, because an initial design of a simpler, wider front wing has not won everyone over.

The FIA's head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis said: "The front wing, we are still not completely pleased about. Both from an aerodynamic point of view and from an aesthetic point of view.

"So we are trying to make it better in both aspects. There are good reasons why the wing is very wide, aerodynamically, but we agree it is not the best visually."

The tyres

F1 is looking to ensure that tyre characteristics do not hinder racing either, in the way that drivers are currently held back in battles because their tyres overheat when they follow other cars closely.

"We are into very deep consultation with Pirelli about how to make the tyres really step up and be at the position that they enable people to race," added Tombazis.

"[That means] they don't degrade, they don't force people to manage the tyres so much, and they have a broader working range so as to not be as sensitive as they currently are.

"This is something we are working very closely with Pirelli and we have understood a lot of things that will make a significant different in that aspect."

F1 will also ban tyre blankets for 2021, when it switches to 18-inch wheels.

Other rule changes

There will be a host of changes to the technical rules too, both to bring down costs and help level the playing field. These include:

- A simplified fuel system
    - Simplified radiators
    - Frozen specification of gearboxes for five years
    - Hydraulic suspension banned
    - Standard wheel rims
    - Standard wheel hubs/nuts and pit equipment
    - Standard brake systems
    - Restrictions on the use of certain materials
    - 40% reduction of windtunnel time for teams

What's still up for discussion

FIA president Jean Todt revealed at the British Grand Prix that he has asked F1 to evaluate whether or not refuelling should return for 2021.

But that is not the only major rule change being evaluated, with even the format of a race weekend being looked at to see whether changes can be made. Other major topics up for discussion include:

- Reduction in the use of driver aids and electronics
    - Reduction in the use of car-to-pit telemetry
    - Introduction of more standard parts
    - Simplification of the lower part of the chassis
    - Reduction in the number of personnel at race weekends
    - Reduction in the weight of an F1 car

Fine-tuning will continue

F1 is constantly evolving its 2021 concept as its research continues, and F1 managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn stressed that even once the rules are finalised in October it will not mark the end of F1's work.

"The group we have at FOM will not stop work when the rules are issued," he said. "That group is going to carry on working.

"As we see the team's solutions evolve, we will analyse those solutions and understand if they are starting to negate the objectives and steer it back again.

"This is not a one-stop shop: we will monitor and develop and tune the solutions to make sure we maintain these objectives."

jpalmito, kes7u, Finlander and 2 others like this.
  10. DF1

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Looks great so far to me. Really does. front wing too wide but that's it

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I already see some contradiction there: the FIA wants to reduce budgets, but thinks about bringing back refuelling !
    Also, how refuelling fits with a reduction of personnel at race weekends ?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great.
    So we are still stuck with these stupid ass powerplants and aero porcupines?

Remy Zero likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, in the name of stability, I believe.
    Don't expect any breakthrough from the FIA or Liberty anymore.
    A change of formula would wreck F1 at this point, so they may as well wallpaper over the cracks and hope these amended rules carry them over for 5 more years.

15. DF1

In 5 years, the pace of tech change, F1 will need a new Formula in total. Toss the auto makers in that mix and what will F1 be or need to be??? Enjoy the “show” now.

william likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Closer to Formula E than Formula ICE.

william likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It maybe that today's Formula E was in fact launched as a pilot series for the future Electric F1.

It certainly attracts more interest among manufacturers than F1 !

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I never think "wow" when looking at these current cars.
    I do however go "wow" when there is close and tough racing.

I cannot see the electronictrickey that lurk inside, so I do not care.

And the flimsy aero bits are more pretentious than a Prada handbag, and fall off if you sneeze within 12 feet

19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Because FE is R&D for Laura's next shopping wagon

20. DF1

A strong potential for this I think!

william likes this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What a crock of crap F1 will be in 2021..... standard everything?, well, why not ask dallara for chassis, and get Citroen to give engines to everyone, and be done with it.... Formula bollocks 1

stavura, jpalmito, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Anything is better than another engine lock-out for Mercedes.

Did someone mention tokens....

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Yeah, IF they change their dominance, bet Mercedes put the fix in before the rules are final

24. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144881/f1-set-to-abandon-highdeg-tyres-in-2021

Formula 1 looks set to abandon high degradation tyres from 2021, as its bosses now admit it was "not the way" for the championship to go

The FIA and F1 owner Liberty Media are working on a revamp of the rules for 2021 that they hope will make the racing better and boost F1's popularity.

Earlier this week, a blueprint for the new 2021 car was revealed, with F1 chiefs committed to implementing a ground effect concept that should allow cars to follow each other more closely.

It has also emerged that F1 is looking at a whole new approach to tyres, as it prepares for a switch to using 18-inch wheels in 2021.

Rather than pursuing the push for high-degrading tyres, which has dominated the Pirelli era, F1 wants to head down a route that will allow drivers to push harder for longer.

"We want to have tyres that enable people to fight each other without degrading or only giving a short interval for the person attacking to attack," said the FIA's head of single seater technical matters Nikolas Tomazis.

"The current tyres are a product of what has been asked of [Pirelli], and I think we need to ask them to do different things to what they have been asked in the past."

F1's chief technical officer Pat Symonds said discussions were underway with teams and Pirelli to settle on a plan that will deliver better tyres for racing.

"In the past we have maybe asked for the wrong things," he said. "It is a very complex problem, but it is something that we don't have a clear idea on yet.

"We are doing a lot of simulation and there are many things you can do, but we do believe that pitstops are important in F1.

"We know our fans enjoy these two/three second pitstops so we do want to have a level of pitstops.

"Perhaps an easy thing to do would be to have a Le Mans tyre that would go on and on and on, but then we would lose the pit stops.

"I have spent a lot of time talking to some of the teams who are going to help us with this task through simulation, but it is a difficult one.

"I completely agree with Nikolas: we were asking completely the wrong things of Pirelli over the last few years. The high degradation target was not the way to go, I think."

Degrading tyres are intended to produce a big enough variation in lap time that they increase overtaking opportunities, but they are prone to overheating when a driver is attacking, and this can hurt racing.

Pirelli has long been clear that its approach to tyre characteristics is based on what it has been asked to do.

Mario Isola, Pirelli's head of car racing, told Autosport: "If we have to modify the targets for 2021 we need to know quite soon because we are going to start the development of those tyres.

"If F1 wants to go to low degradation tyres, or to have bigger delta or any other idea, if it is feasible we are happy to go in this direction."

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes please !

Pit stops are unnecessary.

classic308 likes this.