2021 F1 changes | Page 22 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

375+ likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    william likes this.
  3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Getting back into a 20 year old manual transmission (and everything else) car...after five years of DSG and ZF 8 speeds and electronic steering and braking and suspension management, I realized that the modern cars had turned me into a weak, automotive version of a couch potato. Driving an analog car makes me actually have to drive it. My age isn't making it easier to regain lost skills...but it feels good to be trying and growing, even if little by little. I don't think you could put the current modern F1 drivers into a 1980s early 90s F1 car and see them come anywhere close to the laps times of the Prosts and Laudas and Sennas of those days. My conclusion is simply to make the sport about driving mechanical cars instead of digital ones. Throw out the computers, the electronic controls and adjustments...and we'd be back to finding out who can really drive a real race car, vs piloting a drone.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is for exactly these reasons I hold onto my 1995 F355B.

Bas likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Igor Ound, stavura, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    FIA being openly and gleefully corrupt is pretty amazing. I said several years ago that FIA are going to ruin F1 like they've ruined everything else, and so far they have not done anything to change that.

05011994, stavura, fil and 3 others like this.
  8. DF1

Billionaire International Assistance via Toto on behalf of Mercedes and FIA!!

stavura, Bas and 375+ like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep...WRC, F1, LMP1, single seater series all with DRS, their constant assault on every single race track getting rid of what makes them so great and fill it with parking lots....

And that's just recently.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, you convinced me. The end is near.

Nott.

william likes this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For me the glass is still half full at least.

I think the biggest mistake for many is the failure to adapt to change.

I still enjoy F1 like I did before.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For me it is a mixed bag: some things got better, some got worse

Worse:
    - too many restrictions for the designers which leads to a spec series
    - too much PC (too much focus on keeping it safe e.g. the head protection bar), political messaging
    - no testing

Better:
    - hugely improved TV coverage with Sky and all the new statistics and visuals
    - more races than ever, new tracks
    - DRS
    - on board cameras

The same:
    - still the fastest racing series in the world
    - continued connection to its long standing history
    - WDCs is still what it is all about
    - drivers are heroes and drama queens
    - intrigues and scandals

So yes, overall I still enjoy it the same way overall as before. It's just that I now enjoy somewhat different things. Change is the only constant in life, so deal with it or bail out.

kraftwerk and william like this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Hang on; a 355 has power steering, ABS and electronic engine management. If you want a 'proper' driving experience you need to swap it for a pre-78 carb car (like a 308).

16. DF1

He knew Honda was leaving

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, no chance of getting a half-decent engine now ! :(

18. DF1

What model can “F1” use for future. 3 teams + private like DTM ??? Declining viewers matter. Turkey will not pay for F1. The resource pool for F1 has not increased but declined in real terms.

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I happen to want the structural safety of an air-bag car.

But I do like the gurgle sound of Weber carbs one barrel per cylinder.

DF1 and G. Pepper like this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yep, I had a 308 for a few years and I just can't go back that far and be satisfied with the performance and safety features. I find the 360 manual to be a great balance. It's a manual, but it has 400HP, ABS, Traction Control, and power assisted steering. Now I need something like a 456M manual to go with it. :)

DF1 likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 should look at something like a F2+ with simplified engines, and limited aero changes during the season perhaps?
    Perhaps chassis design could be kept for several years. That should reduce cost, so team budget could be reduced.
    So Liberty would have to redistribute less, but instead lower the TV rights and the circuit fees in an effort to recapture the audience?

That's what I would propose if I had a stake in F1.

22. DF1

Liberty is structured with shareholders and they tend to want returns in short timeframe vs years. Liberty are facing an interesting dilemma. The sport today is shrinking. Honda has confirmed such a situation. They are the first to leave.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    How about exactly 1 aero package where you could trim the wings to {low, medium, and High} downforce settings. You may have several copies of that one aero package, all constructed to "as close as you can make it" specifications. {And that 1 aero package does not allow for floors, barge boards, winglettes, monkey seats,......}

Even in 2021, every team will start out with new chassis--they will be constructed from the same "blueprints" but they need to be new in order to absorb the stresses of racing (and banging off of things.) CF has an inherent lifetime due to delaminations. Many teams change chassis several times in a year.

I don't even see how race tracks can afford to "hoist" and F1 event at $25M per year cost to them. COTA needs support from Austin's "Events Funds" account.

william likes this.