2021 F1 changes | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The usual hard negotiating stance... As usual, it will get sorted. Nothing to see here apart from bluster and posturing.

shawdut likes this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well Ross is not so gorgeous as all of us here LOL :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Williams-Cosworth? Dear Mr Stroll....

6. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I like that he questions whether it will result in a huge collision at corner 1 if there are more cars starting at each row. While it might not every time, I bet it will at least half the time (if not more) as Max plows not just into one car, but into at least two! But hey, it might help the bookies' business: we can now bet on whether our favorite driver or team will make it through the first corner (which even currently is no guarantee).

7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

As an indepedent no way, but in collaboration with someone else.....possibly.

Cosworth wants to partner with Aston Martin for its mooted #F1 engine project:

[​IMG]

Long-time Formula 1 engine builder Cosworth says it would like to work with Aston Martin on a potential F1 project and has had discussions about joining forces.

Aston is keeping a close eye on developments with F1's 2021 engine rules, and is keen on re-entering grand prix racing as an engine supplier should the new rules substantially reduce costs.

Red Bull is open to running an engine supplied by its new title sponsor in future, and Aston says it has entered discussions with potential partners about developing an engine to the future regulations.

Cosworth powertrains boss Bruce Wood made clear his firm would like to collaborate with Aston.

"We would have to take on a lot of additional staff and there would be infrastructure that we'd need to increase and that in itself is a year's work, so the reality is 2021 could become 2022," Wood explained.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133955/cosworth-wants-aston-martin-f1-engine-tieup

8. DF1

Bold words!! https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134285/mclaren-f1-must-be-prepared-to-lose-teams

Formula 1 owner Liberty Media has been urged by McLaren chief Zak Brown not to pander to Mercedes and Ferrari over future rules.

McLaren's executive director wants Liberty to consider the benefits of the whole of grand prix racing during what he believes will be a 'turbulent' period of discussions to frame F1 regulations from 2021.

Brown believes that means being willing to allow unhappy teams to leave.

"I think Liberty needs to focus on what is best for the sport and what is best for the fans," he said.

"If that means a team or a manufacturer doesn't support that - then they need to be prepared to recognise that they are not going to make everyone happy.

"Their centering needs to be on what is best for the sport and if someone feels that is the detriment of their racing team.

"I would rather lose one, replace them and have 10 teams, than have one or two teams [only] in the championship."

When asked by Autosport if there was a danger that in doing that both Mercedes and Ferrari could walk from F1, Brown said: "I think that is highly unlikely, but I think anything is possible.

"Therefore we need to land on a set of rules that allow those that are looking at the sport to be able to come in.

"In the unexpected and hopefully highly unlikely situation that they [Mercedes and Ferrari] would leave, the sport needs to go on.

Bas likes this.
  9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Todt wants 2021 F1 rules resolved as soon as possible

14 Mar 2018

FIA president Jean Todt says he is "optimistic" that a resolution for F1's future rules will be found soon.

FIA president Jean Todt says he wants Formula 1’s regulations for 2021 and beyond to be agreed upon as soon as possible.

F1’s landscape from post-2021 is currently under discussion, with teams and manufacturers holding negotiations with the FIA and FOM over how the future direction of the sport should look.

An emphasis has been placed on a bid to improve the show and reduce costs, while also building a set of regulations that appeal to possible new entrants. Last year new F1 owners Liberty Media unveiled a blueprint of engine regulations for 2021, which was met by criticism from leading teams Mercedes and Ferrari, and led to the Scuderia issuing its latest F1 quit threat.

McLaren boss Zak Brown and Red Bull team principal Christian Horner recently suggested that F1’s rules for 2021 need to set in stone by midway through the 2018 season, in order to provide teams and engine manufacturers with enough time to prepare.

“I would say the soonest is the best. It’s fair to everybody,” Todt replied when asked if a mid-season resolution target was realistic. “Everybody should know what will be the rules of the game, so as soon as we can do it we will do it.

“It’s a work in process. We are just starting the 2018 Formula 1 season and we are now also working on the 2021 regulations. Clearly - and it’s something I’ve instructed our people - I think it would be very unfair to destroy all of what has been done on the engine to start with a completely white piece of paper.

“So for me it is essential that we optimize what has been developed, what is known. We know that technology is progressing very much. Not only on complication but also on simplification, so the whole idea is to work on what are the engine rules now and make them better.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/891530/1/todt-wants-2021-f1-rules-resolved-soon-possible

Despite facing opposition from the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari, Todt said he is confident of reaching a solution that everyone can agree to.

“Unfortunately there is a very selective memory and a few months ago we all sat together and we all agreed unanimously on certain adaptations of the engine for the future.

‘The parameters were on the global framework of the actual engine we should have a cheaper engine, more revs, no fuel consumption limitation - being able to go from the first lap to the last lap on full power - increase the fuel flow, improve the noise, hybrid, simpler and to encourage new entrants.

“Everybody agreed on this mandate. So I’m intending that they will respect what they agreed and I am intended that we will respect what we agreed.

“I am optimistic that we will be able to find a solution. I think we need to be fair to the investments which have been done in Formula 1. Clearly we don’t want to use anybody as a whole or anybody as an engine supplier.”

Though Todt does not feel F1 will necessarily have an resolution in place by the next Strategy Group meeting, which is scheduled to take place on April 17.

“Let’s forget the Strategy Group. I do believe that we will find a solution. I believe so. Are we going to find a solution on 17th of April? I do not think that on the 17th April suddenly we will have a solution which will suit everybody but I am convinced that we will be able to find a solution.

“For me, in life, if you have some shared good sense you will always find solutions. If you are with lunatic people then you never find solutions. But I think if we put some sensible people around the table we will find solutions.”

Ryan... and Finlander like this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    So a turbo-hybrid V6 with higher revs that can run on full power for the duration of a race. It's a start.

Ryan... and 375+ like this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    “For me, in life, if you have some shared good sense you will always find solutions. If you are with lunatic people then you never find solutions. But I think if we put some sensible people around the table we will find solutions.”

LOL:rolleyes:

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely right he is.

Presumably this is to do with Ferrari/Merc not wanting to scrap the expensive engine now they've invested heavily in it. So be it. Call their bluff. If Liberty wants to dump the expensive and complicated bits from the engine, and Merc/Ferrari say ''we'll leave''....let them. I still doubt Ferrari actually will. Mercedes very well could. So what. Cheaper, simpler engines means cost will be much less, and new teams will come. If Liberty can achieve a ''anyone can win'' championship, and one that's not as expensive as the current one, there'll be teams. As long as money can be made (and just not viable right now, lose one sponsor and you can close your doors....)

13. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Yes please!

ferrariformulauno likes this.
  14. DF1

Im sure Sergio Sweater will be happy about this lol - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134824/ferrari-should-lose-f1-rules-veto--todt

FIA president Jean Todt believes Ferrari should lose its right to veto Formula 1's rules, as part of the long-term shake-up that is going on right now.

Ferrari has long had the right to stop the implementation of regulations it is not happy with - and last used its veto in 2015 when it blocked plans to introduce a maximum price for engines and gearboxes.

It has been known that the issue of Ferrari's privilege would be up for discussion as part of a new-look F1 from 2021.

But speaking to media in London this week, former Ferrari team boss Todt believes that the veto - which Ferrari has had since the 1980s - is past its sell-by date.

"The veto was at the time of Enzo Ferrari, and he was isolated in Maranello," explained Todt.

"That was the only team supplying engine and chassis against some other teams that were all powered by Ford.

"So at this time, it was decided that being away from what is called the silicon valley of motorsport, they needed to have a protection. That is the story about the veto.

"But personally, I feel now I am not in favour of that. Times have changed."

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So much talk about the veto, and according to Ross Brawn Ferrari has never used it...

I bet that Marchionne is only interested in the veto issue just to get more money from Liberty.

16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What specifically are Merc and Ferrari so upset about? What are they changing that's their so disagreeable about?

17. DF1

The potential to hold their monopoly over the sport and the investments they have both made = their influence to counter the sports governing body and owners.

18. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I meant about the proposed engine rules

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Both feel the proposed 2021 engines rules are a step "backwards" given a more simpler and cheaper formula. Renault might leave as well due to their investment.

I say let them leave. Others want to join.

20. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    I fully blame the FIA for that route they choose. Choosing hybrid route was a bad idea cost wise. Add it to the regulations on very tight allocations before penalties and you have a very expensive formula. I can't fully blame the Manufacturers on refusing to change cause of how expensive it is and how much time was devoted for developing the engines. Though I do blame them for settling for it. If the FIA wants to decrease cost well then they need to plan it more carefully. Innovative, and cutting costs can't mix in the present day.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #199 Ferrari 308 GTB, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    In '89 there were 39 cars competing..47 drivers

22. DF1

Almost empty now in comparison. Certainly not good news as a trend. Todt admits 6 teams are in financial trouble.