2021 US GP - wondering if it will happen. | FerrariChat

2021 US GP - wondering if it will happen.

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Aug 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I 'm making plans for the USGP - I'm on the Paddock Club list, but my sponsor keeps getting the confirmation date pushed back. My personal take is they are hedging bets on the USGP even happening. so basically I've been told we'll know in late September???? with all the COVID stuff, resurge etc.. I'm really wondering if it will happen. I know its two months away but with no ICU rooms in Austin ... that cant be sending a good message for F-1 - and having fans etc... ??? has to be the pessimist but TX does not seem to be that focused on COVID mitigation ... like the EU... as it is I've got hotels resos & air booked... but not feeling great about it.

375+ likes this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin is currently in a stage 5 level of pandemic of COVID; 83% of which seems to be Delta. Hospitals are full (3 ICU beds available as of this morning) thousands of new infection per day, hundreds of hospital admissions per day. The curve is still on the up swing, school starts next week, and delta seems to infect kids unlike the earlier variants.

I will be surprised if we get into stage 4 by the scheduled time of the event.
    I won't even go to a local (nearly empty) bar until we get under stage 3.

Its bad...........

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I wouldn't count on it being held. I don't think the Japan GP will be held either.

Isobel and 375+ like this.
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its a shame. I just am shocked at how stupid we Americans are - that we allow ourselves to fall back into this mess. I guess there is always Miami coming up in the spring of 22... if it was only somewhere else... I was talking to my "sponsor" and they are now considering NOT going to Austin - because they don't want the COVID responsibility... and I guess Paddock club members will not get a garage or paddock access tour to keep the Bubble people separate. so for me that means its better to watch on TV. there will be one more room available at the Austin ATT conf. center hotel coming soon.

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    #5 GTHill, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Discussing COVID is ok but discussing the politics around it are not.

3 day ban for Spirot and Mitch for P&R in F1.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's no way, medically, to tell Delta apart from any other variant. It's just Covid. Doesn't diminish from the tragedy of Covid in general.

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd plan on not going. You won't get the great F1 experience even if they do. Miami 2022 will hopefully be ok. I'm banking on writing off 2021/2022 however and hoping Covid burns itself out by end of 2022. Maybe wishful thinking but, what else can we do? I hate swimming against the tide with this stuff and going places hoping to have a great time only to be let down. I went to COTA for the Nascar race this year as a guest of Joe Gibbs racing. The actual race day was fine, but Austin was pretty dreadful. Stayed at the fairmont. Nice hotel, understaffed (no turndown service!), half open. Subpar experience. We LOVED Red Ash for dinner, but Austin itself felt like a dystopian version of the town I visited a couple years prior.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Austin F1 will happen, based on Delta spread in other countries ahead of us by September it will already be on the steep decline and by October almost completely gone. Of course the next variant could be kicked off by then.

9. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    I'm confident that there will be a race, but 50/50 on spectators.

Nortonious likes this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is no way I am going to see another Max cult event.

F1 needs to really start to promote racing and racing teams and not celebrities.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It won't be the state that nixes spectators.

12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Baseball Stadiums are being sold to capacity nationwide. So far football stadiums have sold tickets to capacity for the upcoming season as well, including the University of Texas in their 100k+ stadium in downtown Austin. UT has 4 home games prior to F1, I'd keep an eye on that as a bellwether for other outdoor events (ie F1). Staying away from the political, but the Texas governor is unlikely to direct cancellations and would likely push back on any local government attempts to cancel F1.

My real question will be regarding COTA hiring enough staff for the event. It's hard enough to find a coffee or get fast service at restaurants in town. There's a real entry level labor shortage.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I cancelled my hotel yesterday. Won't be using my grandstand ticket. Oh well.

That said, not so long ago there was speculation that we might see two Austin GPs in back to back weekends with the Rolling Stones on Saturday. Who knows?

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You can and will do what you like. Obviously .but where did I discuss the politics around COVID?

donkost and ricksb like this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree. the last place we went - the staffing was terrible, ( price the same) so I can imagine what Austin would be like. F-1 has been still promoting Paddock Club, but I just don't see how they will do this, with it being right on top of the paddock and pit complex. for me that is the only reason to go, is the close access. its FAR better on TV otherwise.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think it will be F-1 vs. anything local that Cxl's Austin or makes it no fans... just racing for TV.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

Thecadster likes this.
  18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    how on earth is that political?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, answer this question. Are Americans stupid right now for falling back into this because we're A) not vaccinating and social distancing B) unnecessarily locking down which has delayed herd immunity and risk cancelling the Austin F1?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    paulchua likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Please keep P&R in P&R - kind regards.

22. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I'm not going to repost what you said. That would defeat the purpose. But here are some words from your post. "Republican" "RINO" "Tea Party" "Far Left"

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I dont know. Based on F-1's policies, in The EU, and their policy to travel and maintain a COVID bubble, and given the current situation in the USA with COVID Delta, I don't see how the USGP will happen. the country and the ability to have an international sporting event was on track, and now does not seem to be. given the logistics of holding the USGP, and paddock club my opinion is that it will not happen, or that if it does happen, it will be a closed event. I was commenting that it's a stupid situation that seems likely to affect F-1 in the USA for 2nd year.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't know where you got that - or where those words are in my post?

375+ likes this.
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay