F8 - 2023 F8, Battery dead after 10 months, consistently kept on tender | FerrariChat

F8 2023 F8, Battery dead after 10 months, consistently kept on tender

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XredlineX, Apr 30, 2024.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XredlineX

XredlineX Rookie

Feb 9, 2023
    Oakton, Va
    Full Name:
    Wasif Shakeel
    Hi all. I purchased my F8 brand new last year in June. I have consistently kept it on the battery tender. Have taken it for a few weekend drives but is not my daily driver. It’s never sat for more than 2 months. I went to start yesterday (last start was in January) and unfortunately it was completely dead. Have others experienced issue with a dead battery while on tender? I disconnected the tender and reconnected and it’s blinking red. Is this something easy to change myself or does it require me working with the dealer?

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Do you remember what it was showing before you first disconnected to start? I wonder if it stops charging after some time?
    A friend told me that you shouldn't leave a tender connected all the time, or to put a timer on it so that it only runs every few days but I have never gotten around to trying that advice.

3. XredlineX

XredlineX Rookie

Feb 9, 2023
    Oakton, Va
    Full Name:
    Wasif Shakeel
    It was blinking red at that time as well. I couldn't remember if that meant charging, fully charged etc. The reason I kept the tender on all the time is that is what the sales guy at the dealer told me to do. He emphasized it as "the most important thing I will ever do". While for any other car, swapping the battery is something I would just do on my own. I am not as confident on the F8.

4. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Don't the modern ones do this on their own?

5. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Linking ted is NOT charging— bad connection. And you said you never let it sit for more than 3 months but last start was January so…. Mine is original battery and 7k miles and just fine…. Leave charger connected- should be green light(s) at end always.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JanStuart likes this.
  6. Try "jumping" it with the tender to see if it will wake up the battery.

7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Change to an Interstate battery. The Ferrari branded battery in my 488 lasted around 1.5yrs from new. Put in an Interstate battery and 3yrs later still going strong when I traded the car 2 weeks ago. I left mine on the tender but drove the car every week or 2 weeks. I had the dealer but a Interstate in my F8 I just got...not dealing with the awful Ferrari branded battery again.

Cigarzman and vraa like this.
  8. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Old school dumb trickle charger? Sure. Modern battery tender? No. Dead arm your friend.

9. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Blinking red on the Ferrari branded tender (or pretty much any other tender) indicates it's not charging

I assume given yours is a 2023 that you have the black charger?

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don't believe the tender story is correct. It might depend what type of "tender" you have used. I use a Cytec 7002 & got 6+ yrs out of my Interstate Battery. Never failed. When I finish my drives which are 40-50 miles ea. outing/weekly. Minimal stop & goes for the most past. I did have early battery problems(different battery), with the stock Ferrari tender initially when i had occasional prolonged inactivity. I set the 7002 charger to snowflake mode, installed the Interstate, bought the 7002 cytec & no more problems. Just bought a new Interstate as was beginning to note some electrical gremlans.

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    FIAMM has had a long history with Ferrari. Every Ferrari I’ve bought new came with a FIAMM. And every single FIAMM never failed to disappoint, going flat in spite of being on the tender.

That is why after the FIAMM in my F8 went flat after a 35 minute drive while parked for a quick grocery store stop lasting 15 minutes, I switched to Braille Li Ion. I also upgraded to the CTEK LiIon tender. Very happy with my decision

(I also have a Braille LiIon in my 458 spider. This is a great match with far fewer weird error messages which most believe are due to a weak battery)

12. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    We really like the Interstate batteries for these cars as well. Definitely want to start the car every once in while and inspect the tender every week or so if possible.

AD211 likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Thing is it isn't that you didn't leave it off the tender the reason is because you don't know how long it was off the tender before you had delivery of the car.

Once the damage is done on the battery it is just a matter of time when it totally fails.
    Bad cell , cells.

Those OEM Factory Batteries are crap.

docster likes this.
  14. XredlineX

XredlineX Rookie

Feb 9, 2023
    Oakton, Va
    Full Name:
    Wasif Shakeel
    Hi all, just wanted to give an update in case it helps anyone else. I called Ferrari of Washington dealer service and they sent a tech (Tony) to my house the next day ready to take the F8 in for testing the battery. The tech was able to jumpstart the car. He showed me how to access the battery from the footwell of the passenger seat. He recommended to me not to change it myself because of the danger of shorting the system. He used a NOCO Boost Pro GB150 to jumpstart the car and said that is the only one they recommend. He wanted to load it into his tow truck with a winch. That gave me anxiety so I said I would just drive it into the dealer which I did with no issues. After a couple of days, they said the battery tested fine, no issues noted, did the one year service, and state inspection. The cause of the issue was because I had a license plate holder that prevented perfect connection. I was a bit skeptical since it was clearly charging with the same license plate holder earlier. They gave me a new tender just in case (the same they gave me before, black one with Ferrari insignia, rebranded CTEK). They did not think I should proactively change the battery which I was willing to do. If they did, they would have used an Interstate but had other options as well. All is running well. My only cost was $20 for the state inspection. I am now more vigilant about keeping an eye on the tender light (as sfcarguy mentioned, blinking red means not charging). I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied and took the time to give me advice and guidance. I love my car and this community!

15. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Small correction: the black Ferrari charger is NOT manufactured by CTEK. It’s a Chinese generic charger manufactured for Fix-a-Flat with a Ferrari label.

16. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Mine is red and silver and says ferrari for my 21 F8.... who makes that one? It works perfectly, even if it's by Fisher Price.

17. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Red and silver is CTEK. You can also just look at the labels on the side (or the bottom for the black charger).

05F430F1 likes this.
  18. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    I have a ‘22 Tributo and it looks like Ferrari started using the black battery tender for 2022. Does anyone know whether the black tender is an improvement over the red one?So far I haven’t had any battery issues going on 2 years and it’s always hooked up to the black tender. Thanks for any replies.

19. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    The black version is FAR worse. Numerous reports of much shorter batter life due to the less than internals and charging algorithm (if you can even call the firmware on the black charger firmware). They began to switch over in 2019 actually.

20. uniqueMR

uniqueMR Karting
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    O
  21. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    @uniqueMR I can provide you with the same setup (adapter only or adapter + charger) for much less. PM me if you're interested.

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Now can I offer this advice CHANGE THE BATTERY.

Fact is it will fail however when ?

Every FERRARI owner should MUST have a Noco starter. Guaranteed one day YOU will need it. It will get you out of trouble and AVOID being towed . However this is the point , when you have used the Noco it gave you the free out of jail card. Its telling you your battery is damaged ( cell or cells ) and to change it.

Change it and if its still under factory warrantee demand that it be changed.

Noco GB 90 is big enough.