208 GT4 dismantling problem | FerrariChat

208 GT4 dismantling problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pero, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Hi all,

Having problem. Have tried to think, that did not work.

Project: new piston rings and perhaps pistons, honing etc., whatever comes up.

Problem: Removed conrod base from crank shaft and was going to pull the pistons and conrods upward. Didn´t work. The base of the conrod itself is something like 75 mm and the pistons on a 208 is like 68 mm. Ok, so I will have to remove the crank shaft to be able to pull the pistons down instead. Removed crank shaft, was in the plan so no extra work, tried to pull the pistons and conrod downwards instead but the pistons get stuck on the upper crank shaft bearing base. Blue circle.

So: I feel really stupid. How did they assemble a 208 in the first place? On a 308 I guess you just pull the piston/conrod upwards for dismantling and drop it down for assemling. Can´t do that. From what I know, the crank shaft and conrods are the same for 208/308 so the distance between individual pistons would be the same.

What am I missing?

/Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'm sure there are exceptions, but every car motor I've worked on had the piston and rod assembly drop in through the top. Heads have to come off.

3. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Absolutely agree, but this is confusing. I am missing something. Heads are off.
    /Peter

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I guess the pistons were installed into the liners then the liners installed in the block? So removal would be the reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Portofino likes this.
  5. jdjagguy

jdjagguy Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    Enid Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Richard Crump
    I have not worked with a 208 motor but what you describe sounds like you may have to bring the piston up, remove the wrist pin, and then pull the piston up and out and the rod down and out. Sounds really odd but that is all I see to do.
    Richard

6. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    That could be. Sounds absolutely terrible to do in reverse. I will ruin the liners...
    /Peter

7. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

I had that in mind but you can't get the piston high enough to see the pin. I think. Will check it tomorrow !
    /Peter

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Sorry, I misunderstood your issue. The issue is the rod end doesn't fit through the bore. What's the o.d. of the liners? Pulling them does seem like the only other way.

For those that have inserted rods into a 308 engine, is the big end a pretty close fit through the cylinder?

9. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

No problem. Checked some measures. 308 has a 81mm bore so the 75 mm big end will be no problem. The 208 has 66,8 mm bore so there is no room. Since the stroke is the same, same crank shaft, so for Ferrari to reduce the volume to 2 liters, special Italian tax issue, they had to use much smaller bore. Unfortunately some problems seems to have followed. Like kiwioke said, they must have made a ready unit with sleeve, piston inside with conrod. Then insert everything from top. Another thing to press it out from below with a conrod in the middle. Have checked the engine again and can't see any other way. I would be very happy to be wrong.
    /Peter

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Some consolation may be that the liners came out of my block without too much effort and the thicker liner wall on the 208 could make it less likely to damage the lower lip. Would just need to secure the connecting rod out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

What did you use to press them out? Pictures?
    /Peter

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's a problem my mechanic told me about: the bore is smaller than the rod, so you can't take out the piston+rod assembly from above. But they did it, I don't know how: I suppose they pushed them down, but I don't know if with a tool or something else

Ciao

13. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Hi Alberto, I was thinking of you. I thought you must have come across this strange situation with your 208 turbos. To remove, I think they must have pushed sleeve, piston and rod as one unit upwards. Pistons have no room to move downwards, rod can move upwards following the sleeve upwards. Sigh..
    /Peter

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    First: you have to remove the engine from the car, put it on a swivel stand and rotate it 180 dregees. Then you remove the sump and the gearbox. Then you can access the rods and remove the rod nuts bolts (part 10 and 11, right). Then you remove the main bearing caps (part 2, 3, 4, left). Now you can remove the cranckshaft. Last: you can now pull out the piston + rod assembly

ciao

15. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Done all that, but it doesn't work. Only solution I can see is to press all, sleeve, conrod and pistons out upwards. Back in garage tomorrow!
    Cheers!
    /Peter

16. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Here is the tool I used to knock the liners out from below. You could make the same from hardwood and remove a section to avoid the connecting rod end.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    You can see it is stepped with larger diameter to fit the block bore and the inner diameter to fit the liner bore.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pero likes this.
  18. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Yes! This is what I am loking for. Great work!
    /Peter

19. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I like the cutout you have made. I was thinking of cutting it in two halves and make a hole for the conrod. Your idea is much better. I guess you rotate it around the sleeve when removing. I have found an excellent piece to work with. It is for inserting bearings etc. and already has the diameter of 72 mm and 65 mm in the same piece!!! Unbelievable....
    /Peter

20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The automotive gods are smiling on you! The cutout is necessary to accommodate the upper half of the main bearing cap.

Pero likes this.
  21. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    :):):)