212 Chassis #0235 | FerrariChat

212 Chassis #0235

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bertocchi, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #1 Bertocchi, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need some help and/or advice. I am finishing up the restoration on a 212 Cabriolet and am stuck on a few Concours items. The car was delivered to me without a brake fluid resevoir. I have purchased one but do not have a mount for it. There are two original holes next to the steering column that I believe are the mounting holes. What does the bracket look like?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #2 Bertocchi, Mar 23, 2004
  3. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    #3 Gilles, Mar 23, 2004
  4. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
  5. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Very interesting! I would like to know the story too...

Amongst the photos are some of the best I've seen of the front suspension/chassis on a 212. Also the chassis re-stamping doesn't look too good.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why do you say chassis restamping?

Very plain looking car IMO.
    Pete

7. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins

I mean the chassis stamps don't look to me (and I stand to be corrected) like original factory stamps, especially how they've been hit so hard they've dented the tubing.

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    What a terrible Shame. Economic difficulties prevented the current owner from allowing David to finish the restoration he put his heart and soul into. He was VERY close, there was talk of taking the car to Amelia and Cavallino to get things completely sorted for a possible run at Pebble. The pictures currently posted don't do David's work total justice - I have seen the car numerous times, and it is truly stunning compared to what David originally had to work with. One of two in the world? The second Pininfarina-designed car ever?

9. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    While the denting of tubing at the chassis stamp is pronounced in the photos of this 212 (and this is not a comment of any kind on the originality in this case), I have seen examples of other original chassis stamps that have put slight dents in the tubing.

10. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    It is the second Pininfarina-designed Ferrari, but by no means the second Pininfarina-designed car.

Interesting early history, but like the PF coupes of similar design that followed it's quite bland (other than the front end).

Sad story for the owner and the shop, but at this level someone will undoubtedly do the car justice. The intriguing question is at what price. Mario Bernardi has had the Rosselini/Bergman 212 PF coupe on the market for years, and the ask on this project some months ago was considerably higher. Here the buyer will need to evaluate the history and condition of virtually every element of the car. Good luck to FJ, this is likely to require a disproportionate amount of their time.

11. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Correct, what I was meaning to post.

12. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    Hello, I have an question about(Bertocchi), the man who started the famous thread here : More old Fotos.
    David Castelhano,
    Does enybody has contact with him?
    The reason:I bought an Ferrari 250 colombo part from him.
    But after 8-10 weeks of waithing nothing arrived
    I try to reach him the last 4 weeks on this 2 emailaddresses.
    but no succes.
    Maybe he is ill. or something else
    Normally nothing dissapaered ,and the object will be send back to sender.
    I am willing to pay extra postalcosts
    Please Info on my PM.

Thanks inadvance.

Cornelis Leendert Buurman
    Germany

13. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

14. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    #14 buurman, Jun 29, 2009
  15. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    #15 M.James, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    I contacted David regarding your missing part, here is his response:

Yes, he did not want to pay for any type of special handling so it went parcel post and ended up who knows where? Fortunately I had another and mailed it last week. Can't get unlucky twice?

David

Perhaps, Mr. Buurman, if this part is so important to you that you would be so bold to attack the character of the person who is attempting to ship it to you, you could have the decency of not being so CHEAP to pay for more-reliable shipping from the US to Europe? Just a thought.

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Mr. James,

in the text you quoted there is no attack at all on the character of Mr. Castelhano, AND Mr. Buurman says he is willing to pay any additional postal costs - at least at that time.

So pipe down, will you. As an impartial viewer I find your inflammatory reaction more questionable than Mr. Buurman's post.

Onno

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Perhaps you should re-read posts 13 and 14 before posting further on the subject, skippy?

18. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Dear M. James,
    What you say may be the case, (or not), but in many instances all it would take from the seller to clear up the story is communication. How many times have we all had misunderstandings that were built on a lack of responsiveness. I think Buurman wrote that he ordered a part and when it didn't come could not get David to respond to him. Hence he asked here if anyone knew what was going on about David. i looked online to see if I could find him a phone number and there was the story posted above about another misunderstanding that ended up in a lawsuit.

19. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert

I am so sorry , that I did not read this thread for over 10days.
    Well that can happen.
    I was never interested to disgrace somebody,
    Only to find a way to contact somebody.
    At the first of july 2009 david answered by mail.
    After my question if: It was return to sender?
    His answer:it was send.
    So the communication is repaired I think.
    Thanks to all

Cornelis

20. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Exactly!
    These are Cornelis' words:

''I am willing to pay extra postalcosts
    Please Info on my PM.''

Clearly he was not looking for public comments on the seller...

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
  22. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    #22 buurman, Jul 7, 2009
    back to the org topic.
    David,I know its a little bit late perhaps.
    see pic that how an original bracket schould look like.
    All the best.

Cornelis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Stradalerod

Stradalerod Rookie

Oct 16, 2005
    Orange County, U.S.A
    Full Name:
    Ken Roath
    I am the current owner of #0235EU which I purchased from Fantasy Junction a few momths ago. I am looking for any information or old pictures of the car to assist in the restoration project. There is a YouTube video of the rock band "QUEEN" playing the song "I'm In Love With My Car" that has two very brief shots of the car racing in the 1000km race at Nurburgring on August 30 1953. Would anyone know how to obtain a copy of the race video?

24. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    There certainly may be more straightforward ways to go about it, but it you can determine the director- or even better the production company- for the Queen video, I'm sure they would be able to connect you with the source material.
    Best of luck on the search.

Best,
    Dave

25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I have just seen this thread for the first time in a very long time. The part in question was received by the purchaser. I do not believe this fact has been acknowledged.
    The legal proceedings mentioned are in the process of being settled as we speak, none of which were my doings. None the less I have kept my mouth shut, as directed by my attorneys. Tamposi has contacted me and is singing a very different tune than originally quoted in the Nashua Telegraph article. Attorney Gormley made some major legal errors and his malpractice insurers are anxious to clear this all up.
    Unfortunately I will end up with nothing. Due to this nightmare I have lost my home, my wife of 20 years, and suffered irrepairable damage to my name and reputation. The legal people will get all the funds obtained from the insurers.
    I apologize for any difficulties suffered by Buurman, all of this over an oil pressure relief valve seems a bit obsurd. Thanks to Mjames, a loyal friend.