Great drives in the southwest... in August... | FerrariChat

Great drives in the southwest... in August...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Jun 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    With a trip from Texas to Monterey and another trip from Monterey to Texas (hopefully following a different path), I need to do some route planning. The direct route is 1700 miles in 2 really long days of absolute boredom cruising I40 (snore). Blech! I'd rather find some fun, twisty, scenic roads to drive! Even if that means an extra day of driving. Hopefully not lots of extra days though... so no major-delay detours. And of course, 4-lanes better than 2; and freeways better than stoplights. But typically you have to trade efficiency for scenery and fun. Only those with experience can help make those trade-offs right.

So, if you have any expertise with these southwestern states, PLEASE tell me about the best drives for a Ferrari (no SUV or 4WD drives) in California, Nevada, Utah, southern Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas. Or F-car-guy attractions that may make a particular route attractive (e.g., a Ferrari or F1 museum). Also, please tell me about the major east-west byways through those states:

New Mexico/Arizona:
    I know I40... just lotsa dull straight slab. (Just did that back from Vegas.)
    How about I10... is it just as dull? Looks worse on the maps, actually.
    Any good alternatives?
    How is US60?
    Any great side-trips off I40 to break things up?
    How is US89 in AZ? Looks more interesting, but may be a major delay?
    And Alt89 vs US89?

Colorado/Wyoming:
    I know I70... eastern boring; middle great; western moderate.
    Is there a good alternative for the western half of I70?
    How is US40 from Steamboat west to Utah? Looks boring.
    How is I80 through Wyoming? Worth the major trip to the north?
    How about the trek 191 north to 44/43 to I80 for just the westernmost Wyoming?
    I know many great side-trips in central Colorado; a few listed below.
    Any great side-trips in western Colorado? Or in southern Wyoming?
    Feel free to suggest other side-trips that make general east-west progress.

Utah:
    How's I80? Better or worse than I70?
    How's US40? Better or worse than I70?
    How's I15 from I70 to I80? (I15 is pretty fun from I70 to Vegas.)
    Is there a better way to jump from I70 to I80??
    How's US6 from I70 through Price to I15?
    How's US6 west of I15?
    Any great side-trips? I hear Utah12 near Bryce Canyon is awesome.
    How's Utah24 from I70 thru Hanksville over to Utah12? Make sense?
    And then from Utah12 at US89? Take 89 south to Mount Carmel Junction and then west to I15??

Nevada:
    How is I80?
    How is US50?
    How is US6?
    How is US95? Is there any good way west into California? Perhaps hopping from 95 to 395 in CA and then through Yosemite?
    Any great side-trips?

California:
    How is I80 down to Sacremento?
    How is US50 across to Sacremento?
    Is there a side-trip around Tahoe that is efficient and fun?
    What's the most enjoyable trek from Tahoe or Sacramento to Monterey?
    How is US395? Any good way to make the east-west trek through Yosemite? How is the drive through Yosemite if you're just breezing thru? And what is the most enjoyable trek from Yosemite to Monterey?
    How about CA1 or US101 or I5 to approach Monterey from the south? Are any of those worth the trip through Los Angeles?
    How is I40? Looks as straight and boring as AZ and NM. I40 to Monterey?
    How is I10? Looks even more boring than I40. Is it?
    Suggestions?

On the side-trips, just list them with reasonable directions from a start point to an end point... I'll then do the work to figure out how to string them together.

Here's some mid-Colorado ones that I am familiar with:

1) I70 from west Denver to Vail - beautiful and twisty, despite being an interstate; Eisenhower Tunnel is long enough for two runs up and down the gears

2) Loveland Pass - Hwy 6 - much prettier and twisty than Eisenhower Tunnel - takes you by A-basin, Keystone and then to Lake Dillon, and then to either I70 or detour Sapphire Point...

3) Sapphire Point - jump from Hwy 6 to Hwy 9 on south side of Lake Dillon

4) Hoosier Pass - Hwy 9 from I70 in Frisco or from Sapphire Point thru Breckenridge up Hoosier Pass and then around to 24 to 82, Leadville or Vail

5) Independence Pass - 82 from 24 over the pass and into Aspen - stunning climb and very twisty road with just enough room to facilitate passes - tallest mountains in Colorado here - worth the detour and trek back up 82 to I70 (though you end up missing Vail and the great drive on I70 west of Vail)

6) Freemont Pass - 91 from I70 to 24 and on thru Leadville to 82; or 24 back to Vail as a detour off I70

7) Berthoud Pass - 40 - two-lane on climbing side making passing a breeze - very twisty and pretty

Please add any side-trips you love in these southwest states... especially if they can be done efficiently in an east-west trip.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Let's please keep this thread focused on the drive options, not specific plans for who's making the trek to Mecca, errr, Monterey this August. For that, go here or make a new planning thread. Thanks.

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't talk now, but... I'm here in Albuquerque, New Mexico -- intersection of I-25 and I-40. There are some very nice back roads--New Mexico State Road 14, for example. There's also a formal "Scenic Byway" US 550 to NM 4 called the Jemez Mountain Trail, through the Bandelier National Monument, through Los Alamos (spooky stuff! spooky stuff!), then through Santa Fe and back to I-25... Then there's a nice drive up to Sandia Peak (nice mountain roads, my favorite) right off of I-40...

Count me in for the New Mexico / Arizona leg!

--Mike

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    The whole of scenic route 12 in Utah is stunning beyond belief. I took me ages to drive the road as I kept having to stop and gape in awe! Probaby bunged up with SUVs and RV in the summer though....

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Brian, I'm going out of town for a week so I'll have to wait until then to respond further. But as a point of beginning, find Pueblo on a map. Then find Sacarmento. The line connecting the dots is US 50. It is the old Pony Express Trail. My thought is to get up to US 50 somehow, either boogie to Pueblo or to cut up through 4 Corners. US50 accross Nevada is a trip. It is the high desert and is relatively cool. When you get to Tahoe, you can take US 50 all the way to Sacra-tomato or run South by Southwest through some of the greatest driving country around.

Dale

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What could be more appropriate for a bunch of Ferraris?! The Pony Express Run! ;)

Interesting. I'm familiar with US 50 from Pueblo to Canon City... nice scenery. Getting a pic of my Ferrari in front of Royal Gorge would be sweet... I'd already been trying to think how to swing that. The roads north from there to Cripple Creek are outstanding in an SUV! May be a bit too scary for a Ferrari.

US50 along the gorges in Gunnison is certainly a good alternative to the western segment of I70! After Montrose, US50 heads up to Grand Junction where it joins I70 through most of Utah, right? It splits off at Salina and heads north to I15; joins I15 south and then zigs back north from Greenwood up to Delta where it joins US6 to continue its westerly trek to Nevada. Just looking at the maps, US50 through Utah looks fairly dull. Any Utah'ers care to elaborate?

To make Utah more interesting, we could dive off I70 and do the Utah24 to Utah12 side-trip... but then to get back to US50 before Nevada, we could take Utah21 across. What's Utah21 like from I15 at Beaver over to US50 at Majors Place, NV?? Or would it be better to take Utah56 out of Cedar City since it runs near Dixie National Forest... take that to US93 north, which takes you to US50 in Ely, NV?? Utah 56 does go through Modena!!!

Dale, is Montrose where you are suggesting a detour to the four corners area? (You said "up", but I assume you mean "down"?) US550 through Silverton and on down to Durango is a pretty sweet drive. And then US160 west is not bad. Its a shame you can't travel through Mesa Verde... just in and back out... but might be worth some time. US160 would take us to four corners and then across northern Arizona... looks pretty dull on the maps... and then to US89, which I asked about earlier. We can take that or shortcut AZ98 up to Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell, and then on thru Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, and then ??? Its not clear to me how you get efficiently from four corners back onto US50 through Nevada. :confused:

Moving way back north to US50, assuming US50 is a great way across Nevada, that takes us right by Lake Tahoe which is definitely great. It then proceeds on to Sacremento... looks like a fun drive to there. Is that where US50 ends/starts?

Those of you familiar with US50 in CA, NV, or UT care to offer advice/opinions??

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Tough choices in CO, but maybe you can do different roads each direction?

When I drove my car from Salt Lake to Denver I took I-15 South to Highway 191. 191 was great fun, the first 'twisty' road I'd taken my car on. It also had some wide open straights where you could see for miles. That was the first time I took it over 120mph! I then caught I-70 to Minturn, just West of Vail. Hwy 24 over Tennessee Pass was great, probably the most fun I'd had yet. From 24, I got on Hwy 91 to Copper Mountain and back to I-70. Then over Loveland Pass, back to 70 into Denver.

If you're going to be near Pueblo, there are some amazing roads just South of there. I grew up driving these roads in my Dads RX7, they go right past my parents cabin. From I-25, about 30 miles South of Pueblo, take the Colorado City exit. Turn West. This will put you on Hwy 165 towards Rye. Stay on 165 through San Isabel. Past San Isabel about 15 miles (?) you'll come to a wide spot in the road called McKenzie Junction. Turn right at this T intersection to get on CO 96. 96 will take you down a fun canyon. When you get to Wetmore, get on CO 67. 67 will take you to Hwy 50, just East of Canon City. Stay on 50, the drive from Canon City to Salida is another canyon that is great fun. Then take 50 over Monarch Pass into Gunnison. OR, cut back to the North through Leadville and Hwy 24 and Tennessee Pass to I-70 and Vail.

I can't help you past Gunnison, I never went any further West than that. Depending on the time of day you're in Gunnison, it might be worth the extra 30 mile drive North to Crested Butte to spend the night.

I wish I had a map, I could come up with some others, but I know these roads well and they are worth the drive.

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Okay, putting a US50 trip together with the UT12 and Durango side-trips, I get the following Texas-to-Monterey trip. The times are Mapquests and should be pessimistic unless the group needs extra stops (gas tanks or bladders too small).

Aug8 - Texas to Pueblo - 9-11 hours - roughly 287 to Dumas, 87 to Raton, 25 to Pueblo - unavoidably dull through Texas, but run on I25 over Raton Pass is nice, plus nice mountain views.

Aug9 morning - Pueblo to Montrose - 4.5 hours, 250 miles - US50 across with stop at Royal Gorge and along Black Canyon in Gunnison area.

Aug9 afternoon - Montrose to Durango - 2.5 hours, 110 miles - US550 thru Silverton to Durango with photo stops along the way.

Aug9 evening - Durango to Blanding, UT - 2.5 hours, 127 miles - US160 to US491 to US191. Do you see much of Natural Bridges National Monument from 191?

Aug10 morning - Blanding to Boulder, UT - 4.5 hours, 210 miles - UT95 to UT24 to UT12. Lunch between Dixie Nat Forest and Grand Staircase Nat Monument, in middle of highly acclaimed UT12.

Aug10 afternoon - Boulder to Beaver, UT - 3 hours, 140 miles - UT12 to US89 to UT20 to I15

Aug10 evening (long day!) - Beaver to Ely, NV - 4 hours, 180 miles - UT21 becomes NV487 back to US50

Aug11 - Ely, NV to South Lake Tahoe, CA - 7 hours, 350 miles - US50. Perhaps add some driving time around Lake Tahoe in the evening.

Aug12 morning (early start!) - South Lake Tahoe to Carmel - 5 hours, 290 miles - US50 until it becomes I80, then I680 to US101 to CA156 which becomes CA1. See the Pebble Beach cars at lunch time, then go check in.

Questions:
    1) Is there somewhere nice to stay in Ely? Or in one of the smaller towns on the way to Ely?
    2) Is there somwhere nice to stay beyond Tahoe an hour or so, to shorten up the morning drive?
    3) Is this just too much longer a drive for scenery rather than straight interstate? Skip UT12?

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Brian, it looks like we were typing at the same time.

Instead of Pueblo overnight, stay at the little hotel right on I-25 at Colorado City. The next morning, take the route through San Isabel to Wetmore, then pick up 50 between Pueblo and Canon City. I promise it will be a worthwhile diversion.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Definitely going to do different roads in each direction...

Interesting option as I am thinking the drive back should be a more northern route.

Sounds like a good revision to the Pueblo to Montrose stint... US50 west from Pueblo is okay, but certainly not "amazing".

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I'll post more about some of the roads across country later.
    But

Go to this website.

www.pashnit.com

It is for motorcycles but it lists ALLLLLLLLL the great driving roads in California.
    Make sure you use these roads to get from the Sierras down to Monterey.
    Or plan day runs out from Monterey.

Enjoy
    Erich

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Erich, killer site, thanks for posting this little treasure! I am off to hiway 36 soon, looks like the 550 will love that one. John

12. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    This thread seems to have stalled... so, I have decided to go to the local experts for advice on the pieces of the puzzle... but I'll pull it back together here. For those wanting to follow along, here's the local threads:

California
    Rockies & Utah
    Arizona & Nevada

13. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    i used to drive from Amarillo to/from San Francisco
    (if you can believe that!) many times/year, and one leg
    thru California i'd recommend is:

* go thru little dippy town named Arvin, to connect between
    I-5 and Bakersfield.
    Has some mildly scenic spots, relieves the boredom a bit,
    and is the shortest route i've found for that jog when
    trying to get from I-5 to I-40.
    Plus, along the way, you drive by the 'airplane graveyard',
    where airline co.'s store mothballed airliners...

WHATEVER YOU DO, if'n you come into Texas on I-40,
    watch your ass from Adrian into Amarillo, especially
    between Vega(32 mi. west) into Amarillo.

DPS -always- running out there, snagging drugs and
    whatever else wanders by. They are particularly
    interested in out of state license plates...

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

From a trip last Sep/Oct.

Get off both I-10 and I-40 and try the NON-Interstate roads. They are less
    travelled, better scenery, and, for the most part, in excellent condition.
    In most states, the speed limit is almost always 65-70 mph, as well.

We recently took a trip (not in the C4, sadly) and put 4200 miles on the car
    between TX, CO, UT, AZ, and NM. Only 500 miles was on I-roads.

Texas:
    Hiway 87 from San Antonio to Lubbock, esp Sterling City to LaMesa. Typical
    Hill Country transitioning to West Texas roads. Straight and flat. An
    acquired taste, I admit!! Try the BBQ at The County Line restaurant north
    of Lubbock. Lovely grounds and great food. This is NOT an acquired taste!

Hiway 62-285-67 from El Paso to San Angelo. Stop off at Guadalupe Nat'l
    Park. Side trip to Carlsbad is also possible

Hiway 90-Alt from Rosenburg to Seguin. Some good, fast curves. Beautiful
    in wildflower season (Apr).

Colorado:
    285 - Denver to Santa Fe. More traffic than some others, but spectacular
    through the San Luis Valley.

Utah:
    I-70 (OK...here's where some of the 500 I-miles were!) Grand Junction to
    Cove Fort, esp west of Green River, UT. Stop off at the Big Rock Candy
    Mountain for a cool one. This is Utah...that means, lemonade or soda.

Arizona:
    Hiway 89 - Flagstaff to Page. For REALLY back country, side trip to
    Kayenta. Watch out for Indian Reservation HP.

New Mexico:
    Hiway 180 from Edgar, AZ to Deming.
    Hiway 209 from Clovis to Tucumcari. Big change here from West TX plains
    down to NM desert. VERY little traffic.
    104 from Tucumcari to Las Vegas, NM.
    285 from Clines Corner to Carlsbad. Skip Roswell, unless UFOs are in your
    vocabulary.

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mike now you are talking!!!! I remember going up that route many times in my Ford E-150 van taking corners at 60-70 MPH plus. My girlfriend did not enjoy it until we found a nice quite place to park ;)

You going out to Monterey Mike??? I am going out there with my dad who still lives in Querque.

Rob

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Brian,

one of my favs is Az 89 and 89A from Wickenburg,AZ up to Flagstaff, AZ lots of hills and twisting sections of road. If you drive it on a weekday it should not be to crowded. on the weekend forget it nothing but bumper to bumper hell.

Beast

17. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I lived in NM for 10 years prior to moving to CO. One of my all-time favorite roads is highway 152, that runs from Silver City, over the Black Range Mountains, and meets up with I25 between Hatch and T or C. Especially east to west, the curves are perfect and go on for a long time.

If you are cutting up from I10 to Albuquerque, another way out of Silver City is Hway 211 leading to Hway 12 through Reserve. Once past Mogollon the road really opens up and I have yet to see cops on this good, low-usage road. I have gotten in some great high-speed running along this route.

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Another good route is to take NM 78 thru Mule creek NM over to Safford AZ I like the run from Hillsboro to Silver city except it seems that every time i drove that route i found several large rocks on the road way :(

Another interesting route is take US 82 out of Artesia, NM up to Alamogordo, NM then take US 70 past the white sands national monument over the oregon pass into Las Cruces