3.2 Magnaflow exhaust Video and construction | FerrariChat

3.2 Magnaflow exhaust Video and construction

Discussion in '308/328' started by snj5, Nov 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought would put this here from comments I had gotten in another thread. This is a street Magnaflow 3.2 exhaust I designed with some help from experience, two exhaust textbooks and FChatter GCalo; Here are some really crappy videos to give you an idea of the sound. It is much lower in tone, much smoother and quieter than most of the usual aftermarket suspects, but gets louder as the throttle is opened. I do not like the high pitched and harsh metallic tone of most all aftermarket mufflers, and this one does not have any of that. I like long trips in my car rather than short blasts, but when you open the throttle she does sing.

The construction is all stainless steel that is flat black ceramic coated, using two 2.25" dual in/dual out non-mixing Magnaflow mufflers with resonated tips. Entire assembly is about 15 - 20 pounds, so a bit of a weight saving.

The videos:
    1. accelleration/decell. I've tried to show the tach. You can figure out what gear. Not quite like a V-12, but close
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dknY5U122o4

2. Cold start. At idle, the most noise you really hear is engine noise rather than exhaust noise.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt11rkCJDrc

3. 70 mph cruise. A bit boring, but to show that it only gets louder as the throttle is opened, and that it's pretty quiet off throttle, mostly hearing road noise...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoLbdHYPJo

Thanks also to James Patterson at Norwoods who built and installed - excellent fabricator!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Thanks for the information! Especially the audio clips.
    I still need to fix the exhaust on mine, it's way too loud at freeway speeds, and I hate the tinny note of a lot of other aftermarket exhausts as well. A more mellow growl is what I'm after.

3. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Great minds do think alike! I have been figuring to do nearly the exact same thing. Question: what did you use for tips? Are they just for looks or do the tips have resonators also?

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #4 snj5, Nov 10, 2008
    yes, the tips are the largest resonated resonated Ansa dual tips.

5. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Sweet! Thanks! P.S. your sound is great - exactly what I am looking for.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #6 snj5, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Oh, and if it was not clear, 2.25" stainless tubing and mandrel bends were used throughout, then everything but the tips ceramic coated.

7. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    #7 oliv928, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
  9. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Yeah! How did you get Ansa to sell you anything? I emailed them through their form twice starting about 10 days ago and no reply. No other contact information is provided. They are on vacation. They miss Italy. They went skiing somewhere. Probably the folks at Norwood have a connection, yes? Sheesh.

Anyway, I found these that I think are interesting: http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=55

10. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    The JC Whitney tips are not resonated. I don't think you will get the sound you are looking for with those.

11. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #11 randyleepublic, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
    JFTFOI I had a look at one of the Ansa pdf Catalogs.

Found this contact information at the end of the catalog:

Corporate Office and Distribution Center
    7649 Airport Drive
    P.O.Box 10215
    Macon, GA 31297
    (478) 788-6653
    fax: (478) 784-16904

Western Distribution Center
    Commerce, CA
    (800) 367-2672
    (323) 726-9923
    fax: (323) 726-7387

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Sorry for late response; I have been away supporing the Parisian economy and getting lost around Gare D' Est. I found the folks incredibly pleasant, obtw. I even bought a beret. :)

I called Ansa in Georgia off of the website phone number. Tell them you want to talk about some Ansa parts for a Ferrari, then they will forward you probably to a guy named Paul, I think. I told him what I wanted ("...largest single or dual slash cut resonated exhaust tip like on a Ferrari Daytona, or the TurboKrome (TK) 5768"). He then looks at his list of national dealers and their inventory, tells me who has some and gives me a number to call.

Alternatively, Hooker Headers also makes a near identical resonated exhaust tip to the Ansa part. I would recommend this if the OEM Ansa unavailable, as I have heard the similar tips made by Monza are not built well.

This system is primarily designed for a 308/Mondial, 308/Mondial QV or Euro 3.2 exhaust system with the two exhaust feeds at either side of the muffler area and without the single cat that joins both header feeds.

Although a tad expensive, ceramic coating the entire exhaust system in flat black and leaving the chrome tips really looks and lasts much much better than paint.

I will also tell you that this system is a little difficult to build well (according to James at Norwood's - a terrific fabricator) so get someone good to make it.

Happy to help anyone with questions - we are all a team here.

rt

13. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
  14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #14 snj5, Nov 30, 2008
    Sure -We're all in this together.

The Hooker resonated ends are even available from the Wal-mart of performance parts, Jegs; here is one of the sizes available:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker/520/31407/10002/-1

Just to repeat, this is for if the Ansa is unavailable.
    I would remove the Hooker name tape and replace it with red... :)

Heck, you can even order the muffler cans from there:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/11379/10002/-1#

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Russ, is this a NEW custom exhaust? Didn't you have an OLD custom exhaust too?

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes, the old one was for the single outlet headers and this is for the dual Tubistyle headers.

The old one is still at Norwoods for sale CHEEP for you 3.2 US guys!

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yet another crappy video.

Although this may not add much to what you have heard before, it does show that it is not too loud at small openings, but as you progressively open the throttle, she starts singing more. Although dependant on your speakers/headset, the tone is actually quite lower than stock and the other aftermarket systems (except perhaps the Capristo) and is a lot smoother without the tinny modern F1 sound, but closer to a more classic Ferrari sound. :) (which was the idea).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TsxLSNeVdc

18. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    You're not going to win any Oscars, but that sound is better than any opera! Me next. Sometime after the first of the year...

19. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Russ a quick question here. Why did you go with 2 Magnaflows instead of using the single unit similar to the Camaro/Firebird muffler. I like the concept , nice job.

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #20 snj5, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks!

This came from studying the textbooks, some advice I had gotten, and looking at a lot (almost every) of classic Ferrari exhaust systems.

The theory here is called "dual resonance cancelling", and was even in the much older exhaust textbooks. To simplify, it's the proven fact that two mufflers of volume X are more effective than one muffler of volume 2X. You will see this used on the older cars. They are also more expensive to do and technically more difficult to construct in this installation than one muffler.

I also did a little experiment using the counterflowing but non-mixing absorbant mufflers based on the characteristics of the firing order of the Ferrari flat crank. The evenly spaced bank pressure waves were kept separate in the true dual system allowing optimum scavenge pulsing, but the sound wave peaks being perfectly interpolated each saw the entire volume of both mufflers without an overlapping peak, not "sharing" it with other sound peaks. This also allowed muffled sound from one side to fill in the 'valleys' of the other side giving a more constant, or smoother sound that you hear.

Of course, this could all be crap, and there is some degree of luck and magic in these things. :)

21. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Great Answer!

Ciao,
    George

22. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Russ,
    What would you say about an odd-fire engine?

Ciao,
    George

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If we are talking about your Merak, that engine is a 90 degree V-6 developed from the Maserati V-8, so it will fire like a V-8 missing two cylinders. This is unlike the Dino V-6, which is a smooth firing 120 degree with even pulses. Here's a partial explanation:
    You can see this on your distributor cap as it should look like a v-8 cap missing 2 connectors, i.e. 2 groups of 3; The Merak firing order is 162534, firing every 90 degrees with two spaces as it goes through the 720 degree rotation:
    1-6-2-space-5-3-4-space

If you divide this by sides, you have:
    1---------space-----2-------space----space----3--------space-----space
    space-----6--------space----space----5--------space----4---------space

So the point I am trying to make, is that you can't even out the firing pulses by splitting or mixing sides. In this setting, I would also initially try the counterflow non mixing to fill in the sound peak holes to make it sound as smooth as possible.

24. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Russ,

I'm afraid you lost me on that one. Currently both exhaust manifolds run into one large common muffler. Overall the exhaust does not sound to shabby. I at first thought why not one day run two seperate mufflers, one per side. That would probably be a bad idea with it being an odd firing engine. So what would the real world effect be with your dual Magna Flow arrangement?

Ciao,
    George

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    In short,

It would sound deeper in tone - which is what the 2.25" magnaflows do; and a bit smoother - which is what the resonated tips do. :)

Good luck and let me know if I can help!