What would a 355 engine look like in a 308?? [pics] | FerrariChat

What would a 355 engine look like in a 308?? [pics]

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by h22gordo, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    #1 h22gordo, Jun 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Wow thats crazy, Is the 308 alot lighter then the 355. ? Sorry not to fimilar with the 308. ?

3. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is awsome, I wonder how it handles now, consiering curb weight and everything from that of the 355 are different. Who was doing that I wonder?!

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    That would certainly alter the cornering aspects I would assume! Looks like the storage compartment went bye bye.

With the 355 engine filling the engine compartment to the brim, would it have been more feesable to go with a bonnet lid, like that of the 512BBi ?

I could only imagine how well that engine would toss around that tiny car!

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That second last pic of ther car on the hoist does not look right. The entire cradle fits too low in the car. Unless that is just a prefitment to get the mounting points and then they will modify the rest accordingly. Very cool though,,,,

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am going to sound like a nerd, but hey:

I wonder how they adapted cooling? I wonder how the trany fits into the car.

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    OMG! My pants would have a few extra deposits in them driving that! I would like to understand the details of the suspension, etc. needed to properly handle that engine....Gotta be a hoot!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, something is not right here.

Are we sure somebody is not playing a bit of a joke on us here, ie. had removed the 308 engine and suspension, etc. and had a 355 engine + subframe for another car and just put them like that for the photo and a good laugh.

Lets remember when Ferrari made the 288 GTO they had to extend the wheelbase to turn the engine 90% ... and one can see where the top of the 308 struts would have mounted and in relation to the 355 engine are too far forward or are they ... ??

Thus driveline wise they are going to have to run very angled drive shafts (ie. that point forward quite a few inches) and thus rob horse power as the special constant velocity joints get a work out ... then they have to worry about the increased angle on suspension movement, etc.

The other option is to cut into the bulkhead behind the seats ... I guess.

Thus this car has a very good chance of turning into a pigs ear as I still come back to the fact that the factory did very close to the same thing and they had to increase the wheelbase ...

Pete's needs further details of installation and suspension, etc. before convinced that this is not a joke.

10. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Don't think this is real. The engine components aren't all hooked up and the rest of that 308 is stripped. Looks like something the mechanics have tried for a laugh while the cars are in bits.

11. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    What does that make it?
    A F358 ?

// Peter

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe this is a real deal? Look what I found on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=7905927660

Hmmm let's see a 308QV rear frame removed for "custom work", and a 308QV with a 355 motor stuffed in it.

Also found this, if it were cheaper I'd be all over it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7907272076

By the wat, same seller for both items, and if you read the second one you see ...drum roll please.......................Black Horse Motors Tah Dah!!!

OOh look they also have a 360 motor..would that fit in my 308??

Who knows, sure would be fun though!!!

13. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Good eye Jdubbya!
    This is not a joke. The car is at the shop for any of those interested in taking a look...

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!! Blasphemy!!!! Sorry folks, I'm just such a righteous purist.

However, can a stock 308 handle all those extra horses?

15. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    You may remember a post showing a "Quasi 288 GTO spotted in Malibu" a few months back? I'll find the pic and post later- Lyle tanner just delivered to Blackhorse Motors my fresh 360 engine / gearbox last week. She'll be a real BEAST and together running in a few weeks just in time for the Italiano-

HLL3 out-

16. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    who said they are using all stock parts? if they are anything like me they like to do what people say can't be done and have to fabricate alot. ever seen a rear engine cobra? you will when mine is done, and u don't know how many people say it can't be done

17. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    You may remember a post showing a "Quasi 288 GTO spotted in Malibu" a few months back? I'll find the pic and post later- Lyle tanner just delivered to Blackhorse Motors my fresh 360 engine / gearbox last week. She'll be a real BEAST and together running in a few weeks just in time for the Italiano-

HLL3 out-

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    How about a 308 engine in a 355? I'm still waiting for a Fiero with a Ferrari engine. Okay, I'll go back to the padded room now.

Ken

19. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    LOL!!!!!!

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

already happened. no pics though.

21. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Everything looks like it is sitting too low in the last pic

22. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    It might look that way, however the car was in the air when I took the pictures.

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Easy, The 308 is under powered by at least 100 HP to begin with. The GVW on my GTS is over 3600 LBS., probably heavier than a 355 anyway.

350 to 400 HP is common for a track car so, no big. Just use judicious application of power.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I agree with all of the above. Unless the 355 engine is signifigantly shorter than the 308 engine they will need to lengthen the wheel base at least the 4 inches the 288 was.

Another thought is there may be the possibility that the distance from the front of the 355 engine to the drive axle centerline is shorter than the set up in a 288.

Another question is; How is the added weight of the transmission and clutch hanging out AFT of the drive axle centerline going to affect handling? Remember, The trans and clutch on a stock 308 are FORWARD of the centerline.

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Cool. This looks like a great project. I can tell you that more hp feels great in a 308. When I was planning my project, I thought about and engine swapt with a 355/360 or maybe a TR but the money didn't work....boost is just the cheapest way to get hp, so I didn't look beyond that. This looks like it will be a great car.