24 Heures du Mans 2017 | Page 25 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2017

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Jan 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's a political obstacle, not a technical problem.

Apparently there are also people who don't believe in global warming., but this is another subject ...

2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Here, it's recommended for drivers to stop for 10 minutes every 2 hours on long distances.

There is no enforcement as such, but that can come under scrutiny in case of accident.

In my case, my bladder tells me when to stop.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    They have a different sense of scale than we have in the USA. Family in England are amazed that a 600 mile journey is a one day "no big deal" drive for me and not at all unusual.

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Interesting.... re the recommended rest stop.

I don't travel long distances on the 4 lane if it can be avoided, but the last trip was close to 9 hours with qty. 1 5 minute stop. (Vehicle has 500+ mile range). Didn't know I was a danger!

5. (1) Excellent.

(2) I don't know what "getting more band" means.

(A) 'Don't know. I don't says anything about it.

(B) Very good for them. 'Not for me.

(C) Yes. No I don't. I stop when I feel the need or for a refuel for 5 minutes.

(D) Again, very good for them. To each his own.

(E) I don't believe that. I admittedly don't know...but don't believe.

'Just came back from a round trip (FtL, FL - LI, NY - FtL, Fl) 3143 miles (a couple of hundred while I was there) And it cost me $210 U.S. (95.7 U.S. gals., almost 33 mpg) in my 3400 pound, 4 door Buick. I drove pretty much straight thru with some quick rest stops and, again, 5 minute gas stops This is what I want. 'Not what someone tells me I have to do.

Isn't choice great? :)

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I do think dependence on other countries for energy is bad - I made a comment about war and such. I am glad your son is a nuclear energy engineer - we need more!

I'm really disappointed more investment isn't being made in the nuclear arena here in the US...it's really the only option for the planet long term. We'll see, but at some point we'll need to make hard decisions about it.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    'It's an entirely concise article that points out the worrisome stance of the ACO. The LMP1-H is a marvel, and it has demonstrated in other years that it can succeed without misstep at Le Mans, however the concerns are not about reliability and they are not concerns about overly complex aerodynamics.

The concern is that there are only so many manufacturers in the world, and only a handful of them have marketing stakes in BOTH performance and hybrid drive. If the current formula does not appeal to them, the current formula is not successful.

LMP2 seems very successful this year, but whats missing is a LMP1 customer car. Surely it wouldn't be more expensive than LMP2.'

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, you wouldn't be able to do a 600 miles journey in England before falling into the sea!

Although some Brits do long holiday trips on the continent, to Spain, Italy, etc...

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If it is about new technology then let them develop the new technology. If it is about controlling cost, then control cost. But I see no reason to mandate new technology in a spec format. This brings no value to anyone, except the supplier.

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually illegal in NZ and Australia. We by law have to stop every 4 hours. Of course impossible to check unless you are a truck and they have to have a half hour break every 5.5 hours and not drive after 13 hours. In Australia they take photos of the trucks on the motorways and use the times to work out if you are potentially breaking the law. In NZ they use driver log books and GPS systems to confirm this ... not sure about Australia re GPS.

A lot of accidents are caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel. I suffer from this as well and when in Australia my wife used to keep an eye on me and yep we would stop.

In my younger days though, 6 hours with only a fuel stop and I'd drive faster to keep myself awake :)
    Pete

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

For years I used to drive/ride long distances almost non-stop on the continent when I lived in Belgium, mostly going to Spain or Italy overnight to avoid traffic.

Now this isn't recommended because of the many crashes that occurred because of the combination of monotony on the motorways with lack of sleep.

In Europe trucks have "Spy in the Cab", a calibrated tachometer that records the driving periods, the rest times, the speeds reached, the emergency braking, etc... The police has just to put the tacho disc in their machine to analyse the behaviour of drivers, who hate it !!!

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

"Porsche meanwhile is known to be considering the future of its LMP1 programme amid growing signs it is destined to joined rivals Audi and BMW (and potentially Mercedes) in Formula E."

Source Motorsport.

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Why are they competing in Formula E?

It's cheaper. Documented previously...huge difference between $100M budget (and no eyeballs) and a $3.5M budget (with some eyeballs).

Have to stay on point - Porsche races because of marketing, not the technology. That Formula E is "electric" is irrelevant. What's relevant is that it's cheap and there's competition, and the added bonus that "green" is good marketing strategy.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Did a 1300 mile loop in a week on my last trip to England.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A tour of Britain perhaps ?

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Porsche is now making more money producing SUVs (Cayenne and Macan) or luxury cars (Panamera) that sports cars.

Porsche needs to remind the market that it is first a sports cars manufacturer; hence the return to endurance racing as a works team after a decade of absence before its old clientele moves to other sports cars manufacturers.

The fact that the top endurance category LMP1 was hybrid is a coincidence, IMO.
    Porsche had just to accept the rules to get on the podium, and embrace hybrid technology to obtain what it wanted. Now, after 3 consecutive Le Mans wins, Porsche can look elsewhere.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Visiting family and old haunts. ;-)

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1, other than hybrid coincidence.

Remember they make the 919 which is a hybrid road sports car.
    Pete

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You guys are also forgetting that Porsche do a lot of engineering consulting to other firms. Winning Le Mans 2 years in a row with hybrid technology is great marketing to other automotive companies for their consulting business.

Again it is not just about selling cars.
    Pete

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes agreed - definitely part of it.

24. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  25. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    918. and The project E or whatever the hell they call it. Porsche appears to be super into the hybrid formula. Every one of their cars has it. Hell they ran a 911 hybrid at the 24h of the Ring a few years ago. Or was that bathurst? Well either way they did it!