24 Hours of Daytona | FerrariChat

24 Hours of Daytona

Discussion in 'Florida' started by bupilot, Dec 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Haven't seen a thread on the 2018 24hrs of Daytona, apologies if there's one out there. Me and my son are looking to make the trip to Daytona this year and see the race in person and have a few questions.

Has anybody done the Ferrari hospitality deal? Is it worth the cost?
    If you do the hospitality package is it available open overnight?
    Any hotels that Fchat members frequent?
    Any tips for a first timer going to see this race?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am going this year (my 2nd time). There aren't a ton of hotels that still have availability at this point.

As to tips for the race..
    Be prepared to walk...A LOT. Bring warm clothes, it can get really cold at night. Make sure you get access to the garage area.

3. Frankthetank

Frankthetank Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Frank DiSalvo
    I have been to several races, going next month as well. Garage access is key, its really a great deal for like $100.00. I have not done the Ferrari hospitality thing, well just got '05 F430, I am a Porsche and Aston owner as well, so the Porsche Coral is free, and the Aston garages are the best, everyone is really nice and accommodating.

We stay at Hilton Garden on the beach, Hyde Park Steakhouse Friday night before the race, lots of race people hanging, we ill be there!

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mrs. Rosso and I do the 24 every year. We haven't done the Ferrari Hospitality package in years, and it has changed a bit since we last did it, but we still prefer the Champions Club package either through FCA or direct through the Daytona website.

Reasons...

The Ferrari hospitality tent is a tent. It's at turn 1 usually, so you are well positioned for overtaking into that turn, and you do have a good view of turn 6 back up onto the banking, but no real view other than that.

And it's a tent. Did I mention that? That means two things. Even with the IR heaters, it can get pretty chilly. And loud. Last time we were there, you couldn't really have a conversation.

Champions Club on the other hand gets you into the Daytona 500 Club building overlooking start finish. You do lose the turn 1 view because of that huge tent in the way, but from the roof you have a great view of pretty much the rest of the track.

When it gets too loud or too cold, go downstairs to the bar to watch the action on the tv's overhead, and the front straight right outside the window. And you can hear each other talk.

Yes, Ferrari throws in a couple of extras, like guided garage tours and meet and greets with the team. But for us, that's not a big deal. We do the full four days plus the roar before, so we get plenty of up close garage time before the race.

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    One tip for a first timer that I forgot... and one I didn't know myself for years.

Don't be in too much of a rush to leave after the race. If you are parked anywhere infield it's going to take you an hour to get out anyway. So hang around for the podium celebrations, and the multiple photo ops - one photo of each team in their team hats, then they change and take another photo with the sponsor hats... it's actually pretty funny the first time you see it and realize yes, this is a business.

While they are doing that, take one more walk through the garages. The teams that retired early will already be gone home, but I always find it so cool to go and see the cars 'post battle.' They are so shiny and cool and aggressive looking before the race, but afterwards they are tired, worn, scarred, held together with duct tape, with exhausted boys and girls slowly rolling them back into their transporters.

Don't know why, but I always find that to be so cool. And once you're done, the infield traffic will have cleared enough to get out of there without overhearing your clutch.

peterp likes this.
  6. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated!

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Got my tickets in the mail today. Woo Hoo!! Starting to count down the days. Roar next weekend, can't wait!