246 DINO F1 0007 or 788FT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

246 DINO F1 0007 or 788FT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Gilles, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    We also had the "British GP" winning 375 Grand Prix and a 553 Super Squalo at one point..... Many amazing cars came to NZ when they were no longer competitive in Europe. BUT DONT CALL US Aussies.........

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It must have sold for peanuts since it was so far off what a GTO looked like.

Seems like at the Palos Verdes concours a few years ago I met a guy name Anthony (first name) who had a Ferrari that looked like a 750 Monza but he said it was originally a single seater, and one thing that pegged it as being early was it had Roman numerials on the ivory looking shift knob to delineate the gears. I think he is a big collector and this was just one of the cars, but I can say this was a second single seater rebodied.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The man was Anthony Podell and the car is 166 Spyder Corsa s/n 014I, rebodied by Scaglietti in the 1950s. I'm fortunate to have spent some time in the passenger seat of this little car, blasting along the freeways of SoCal, while it was under the ownership of Tom Shaughnessy.

Pics of Tom with the car here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/135254281-post2.html

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There was a single seater rebodied into a "GT" car here in Brazil too. It was an Alfa, they called it the Alfa Cadillac...

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That's his son Johnny in the passenger seat. I follow his feed on Instagram. The kid has grown, and I guess his passion for cars too, as he always takes some pretty great pictures of cars in Tom's custody like the MKIV and the orange Carrera 6 that just got sold in Arizona.

6. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #31 Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Shaughnessy has a Mark IV Ford GT? I didnt know that, I do know he had a really fascinating barn find GT40 Mark 1. Any more info?

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  8. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Very interesting. Perhaps not as impressive as an original Mark IV but still super cool.

9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I guess other than the Sebring and Le Mans cars, it's the next best thing...

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Amen. Can we correct the stupid thread title please. Nothing to do with Australia!

NZ also put a Morris Minor on a Ferrari single seater and raced the result.
    Pete
    ps: The subject of this thread was not a replica of a Series II GTO, but just made to look a little like it since it used an original windscreen.

11. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Psk, the Morris Minor/ Super Squalo was the ultimate hidden supercar. Imagine meeting that Morry Minor at the lights......

12. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Great story thanks for sharing

13. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #38 I16, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #39 Boudewijn, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Has the car got 2 or 3 wheels off the ground. Either going quite fast or has been photoshopped.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Street circuit surfaces back then were NOT smooth like modern F1 tracks by then, not by a long shot, he is simply going over bumps and yes of course he is going fast.

MS

17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been to NZ, they have craftsmen there who could do better body in copying a '64 series II GTO than was done here, a result which is grotesque, worse than what Tom Meade is sometimes criticized for in his Thomassinas. Of course I realize they were working within the limitations of having what they wrought go over a single seater frame but I think the best thing you could do with that GT body is sell it for scrap metal before it brings down the reputation of classic Ferraris.

Was it ever printed what Pat Hoare sold it for with that body?

I also quibble with Thoroughbred and Classic Car's writer, Grant McMillen, claiming that Mike Parkes said even Enzo himself would say this was the fastest fully road equipped Ferrari. What about the 250LM one off that had full road equipment? and why would EF even speak up to complement such a hodge-podge "bitsa" when he had new cars to sell?

That would be like Jaguar's chief Sir William Lyons saying George Barris had customized a Jaguar to be better than the factory Jags...

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree that is not beautiful but it was not an attempt at a replica. The workmanship would have been top notch, even if the styling wasn't.
    Enzo and Pat had a very special relationship. Enzo would never have spoken bad about Pat. It would have been quicker than a GTO and remember it would have had a transaxle and been lighter. Jackie Stewart did some laps in it and found it very rapid.
    Fair comment, but please stop thinking of it as a replica. It wasn't, and again Pat and Enzo were very close friends.
    Pete

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I believe that the original GTOs bodied in Italy had a thin diameter tubing framework underneath, almost like a birdcage but the tubes only carrying the body panels which were hand hammered out and then attached to the tubes. I could be wrong. Maybe the panels were compared during construction periodically to this framework to see if they conformed to the desired shape and then welded together without a supporting framework underneath. My only comment is that it was a far reach--starting with a single seater of a different wheelbase, it was too far a stretch to expect the result to look like a series Ii GTO two seater. In other words, you can't get there from here.

I am curious, does anyone have an interior picture, it must
    have been quite odd to see the gauges on the left and the steering
    wheel on the right!

20. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    If anyone wonders why, they should read 'Enzo Ferrari's Secret War' by David Manton - as Pete probably has!

21. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Indeed. A very interesting read.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I have a copy :)
    Pete

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Brilliant idea. What happened to that one ?

24. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    It was raced with a Corvette V8 engine for a few years before rebuilt back to single seater, then off to England. Swapped for 375MM #0370

25. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Have a look at post # 7 on page 1