246 Dino trim screws | FerrariChat

246 Dino trim screws

Discussion in '206/246' started by Charlesincharge, Mar 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Charlesincharge

Oct 22, 2008
    USA
    Does anyone have info like photos or diagrams that would show me where the trim screws are located on 246 doors and rear trim panels? Thanks!

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #2 omgjon, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The doors have none. There are metal clips on the back that go into plastic recepter(or I'm sure it has a correct name)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    um....., jon, I think you might be wrong on this one...

I might be crazy and might retract this shortly, but the door panels have small screws that screw the door panel into the door.

synchro likes this.
  4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The doors on 2840 have screws and no place where plastic fittings could ever have been.

But it is quite possible that later in production the more "modern" technique was used.

5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #5 DinoLasse, Mar 26, 2010
    # 5020 also has the door panels screwed to the door. Appear to be ordinary sheet metal screws with cup washers. Screw dimensions: Outside thread diameter of 3 mm, length 14 mm top to bottom. Six screws and cup washers per panel. I believe this to be the original configuration for this car.

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    My 73 and 74 had no screws on the door panels. Both were original and not recovered. I will post a photo of the clips when I get back to my shop. Earlier cars could of very well had screws. Can only vouch for my 2.

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    The screw Lars posted looks perfect for 206 GT and early L-serie to me. Late L-serie until E-serie have the same screw but black anodized.

206 GT until M-serie you have 4 screws. One in each top corner, one in top middle (where the door panel does a little step) and one at the door lock. You have 3 braces in the lower part of the door panel to fix it with the door and a few clips.
    I think E-serie must be the same, but not 100% sure about that. Maybe E-serie has a few additional screws in the lower part of the door panel.
    Does anybody who ownes a E-serie Dino has still the original door panels and screws?
    (with most cars these things have been replaced)

Regards Matthias

8. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Jon - Of course, I can also only vouch for my car. It is a Dec. -72 production. It would make sense for Ferrari to switch to push-in fasteners at some point during production.

Matthias - I strongly believe that the door panels and screws are original, or identical to the original ones. The reason is this: My car has never been restored and has never had any major body work done to it. It was repainted in 1989, and it did receive a minor freshening up of the interior (leather dyed, etc.) at that time. But it was done at a Ferrari dealership, and with the specific intent of making the car a concours winner. Everything was done with great attention to detail. It would make absolutely no sense to change the number, location or plating of the screws holding the panels.

Regards
    Lars

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

From recollection, Lar's photo looks correct.

I'm surprised your panels don't have re-drilled holes, my new door panels did when I replaced mine 4-5 years ago.

DM

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias

Hello Lars,
    that could be, because your door panel isn`t black. What colour have screws in your Dino who hold panels covered with black vinyl?
    Regards Matthias

11. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hello Matthias,
    Exactly. The screws in the black panels are indeed black. I had to look at them closely because the finish is a bit faded by now, but yes, they are definitely black.
    Regards,
    Lars

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    :)

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #13 abstamaria, Mar 28, 2010
    #4866, a 1972 U.S. model GT that has not been restored, has chrome slotted screws in cup washers. But no perforations on the panel for the speakers.

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks Andy, regards Matthias

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Andy / Matthias

I can confirm that my car has original chrome screws and cups fitted to the side panels too.

16. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #16 DinoLasse, Mar 28, 2010
    OK, so when it comes to the screws, there seems to be agreement that they are chrome plated slotted head screws with cup washers (as in my photos and description) when the door panels are beige, and black if the door panels are black. Also, in a beige interior, the few screws which are attached to black trim pieces on the door posts and the rear wall should be black.
    That all seems very logical, but it would be nice if somebody could confirm that there should be two extra screws on an E-series Dino as shown on my photos: One next to the door lock and one at the bottom edge, below the door pocket. They could have been added on my car. I just found out that my panels were redone in -93, just before I bought the car.

And guess what: I think omgjon is right as well! There ARE five pointed clips on the back of the panel and nylon receptacles in the door frames! In addition, there are two clips at the bottom of the panel, which you are supposed to slide over the edge of the door metal first, then push in the five pins/push-in fasteners and finally install the panel screws.
    Imagine that, both push-in clips and screws - belts and suspenders! Is it only my car, or is that the standard configuration? I leave that to the rest of you to confirm or deny. I think I have done my part. I am going to put the door panel back on now.

By the way, Charlesincharge, did we answer the question or are you totally confused by now?

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #17 omgjon, Mar 28, 2010
  18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I believe My 246 has a screw in that place too, Lars. I will check my doors when I get home and post a picture of the entire door trim panel (I think the English say "door card" or something like that - TonyL will confirm) for posterity. By the way, Lars, I understand, if one were English, one would say "belts and braces." They say if you cut an Englishman's suspenders, his socks will fall! TonyL and our other English friends should be able to confirm this too. Very confusing for someone in Manila. :)

Andy

19. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Jon - Those are exactly the same fasteners and nylon sleeves as in my panels. Thanks for the pictures. They tell me that my panels probably are the original ones and that they were just recovered in -93.
    And yes, most likely they decided to eliminate the screws in 1973.
    Thanks,
    Lars

20. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I appreciate it, Andy. Thanks for enlightening me about the Queens English as well. I did not know about that meaning of suspenders. (Are they still using those contraptions in Merry Old England?) Having spent half of my life here in the US I tend to speak and write American English. I even say aluminum, much to the amusement of my european friends.

Cheers,
    Lars

21. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well I can vouch for Tony L as i know him well enough (i hope) to say that he doesnt wear suspenders (at least during the day when i have been with him) and those English...men? that do are not the type (shall we say) that are in to cars.
    Lots of lovely English women wear suspenders and long may that fabulous tradition continue.
    Moving on, I am convinced that the cars left the factory with NO screws and cups on the door cards but as the original fixings were so flimsy over the years the cards parted company from the doors and the easiest fix was this method. I have fitted new cards to my 74 doors and have managed (with a lot of effort) to get the clips to hold the panels without screws and cups and in my huble opinion find this a much cleaner look and furthe more i wouldnt have the heart to drill throught the leather trim!
    G P

22. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I think I will have to move to England...

23. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where can I buy these screws ?

Is there a shop you can recommend?

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#24 dm_n_stuff, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  25. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Just to clarify:On the metricmcc.com site (thanks, DM!), the item would be Slotted Oval Head Tapping Screw, #7973 C, in size 2.9 x 13 mm. I measured it again, and is in fact 2.9 mm.
    Lars