246 Valve Cover Finish | FerrariChat

246 Valve Cover Finish

Discussion in '206/246' started by Ducati348, Mar 16, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    I glass bead blasted my aluminum valve covers on my E series Dino and was wondering what others used to protect the beautiful finish? I read that some people used matte rattle can clear paint. In the attached photograph, I used some clear matte paint that was not high temperature rated. Do you think this be a problem?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    I would definitly strip and re coat with clear high temp clear. Both Dupli-color and VHT hace excellent high temp clear coats you can use.

3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    First photo below is from 2008, a few months after I blasted the cam covers gently with used glass beads. The only protection was a squirt of WD40.
    Second photo below is from last year 2021. Pretty much same clean appearance. There has been no further blasting/conditioning between, other than a wipe over with break cleaner and re application of WD40 after valve shim servicing, when inevitably oil finger prints get on them.
    My suggestion is either leave as is, or follow the above.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I used mag wheel cleaner on mine and rubbed with a very used scotchbrite pad. Looked just like the NOS cover I have.

5. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    your engine compartment looks great !

6. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Thanks for the quick and detailed responses.
    Alex