"How to: dash lights", finally | FerrariChat

"How to: dash lights", finally

Discussion in '308/328' started by magnum, Jun 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    #1 magnum, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys.
    I've finished my "How to: dash lights", a tutorial explaining my experiences upgrading my dash -US 1983 308 GTS QV-. You can find text, shots, technical details, LED upgrade tests, advices, conclusions, etc. on a PDF file. I've tried to do it without mistakes, but I'm human...
    Feel free to download it and to upload to your 308 web pages -maybe Birdman-. I apologize for my English level.

My little help to the FChat community.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rwbolt1 and Cirorsi like this.
  2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    how or where do I find the lights that you used,or if you can put together lets say a light package and sell them to save us the time trying to find the bulbs ourselfs:)

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Nice job Antonio! I always wondered about the effectiveness of the LEDs. Now I have another project for next winter.

Birdman

4. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Nice job!!!!

5. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Hi Michael.

I can buy the standard incandescent bulbs here and send a pack to you -but for sure you can buy them also-. The led bulbs came from eBay so you can buy them by yourselves. Tell me what you need and if I can help, no problem.

Cheers

6. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    Nicely done.

Those of us who are about to do this, salute you.

Thank you.

Rob

7. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    THANK YOU!

8. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    After reading Antonio's post on dash light change, I was very interested in the LED change. I've seen the offers on ebay but they were for only a few, and they were sold in seperate kits. I just found a complete set, from the same company, and it replaces all exterior lights. It's a little pricey, but in the long run it looks good. Please offer an opinion. google v12s

Thanks
    Rob

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Antinio, that is the greatest thing. I actually want to do this project now, but was half dreading all the different bulb models and all that. You've made this simple. If I could give you free membership for life, I would! Thank you VERY much for this. Great, great job.

10. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Thanks AHudson.
    Well, all of you encouraged me to do it, so here it is! I hope it will be useful to all the FChat members. And thanks for the proposal about eternal membership!!!
    Maybe I will try to prepare a "How to: center console"...

11. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Attention about LED external lights. The light spread angle is the most important key to pay attention on. The best external LED are those that have at least 30 or 40 little emmiters placed radially and on the front of the bulb. Important.

12. Denny Weiss

Denny Weiss Rookie

Nov 28, 2008
    Md and Fl
    Full Name:
    Dennis N Weiss
    Great article and a huge help!

13. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall

Where did you buy the LED's from, I need to do this! I hate driving whit a flashlight in one hand

14. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    Those removal technique varies to 328 models.?

Cheers,
    Stephen

15. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Hello Crallscars.

I've bought the LED lamps on eBay. There's a good variety and quite cheap. Just check eBay. Also there are some web pages about LED lighting; I think that I've posted the list in another thread. Try a search, is very easy.

Regards.

16. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Thanks Magnum, i just got my 308 and noticed right away the dash /gauges were very dim and i just took it to be something i had to live with like some other things on the 308.I'm going to do this upgrade as soon as i can get the bulbs off e-bay.Thanks again for a great write up.
    Bill

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Question, dumb but important: If only replacing bulbs, why bypass the dimmer rheostat?

I'd like to fix mine so that the concealed headlights come up when the low/high beams are switched on, and stay down when only the parking lights are turned on.

18. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Dimmer's have been the single notorious cause of dreaded gauge non-illumination disease. A good dimmer drops the voltage 1v just being in the circuit, bad dimmers drop many more. Your's may be the one which works, now, but chances are you will never need to dim your gauge lights. So improve the reliability by eliminating the component which gets flaky with age and squeek out that last drop of brightness by eliminating that 1v drop.

There are two solutions. One adds diodes and the other adds relays. I use the relay approach and have small push button switches, 'on' and 'off' in the roof of my glove box (the one above your left knee below the dash). I can turn my parking lights on regardless of stalk switch position, saving wear and tear on that delicate expensive aging component. Plus my parking lights turn off with 'off' pushbutton OR with ignition key off. Diode mod - stalk switch is always hot. Both require wiring / soldering skills.

Diodes - http://www.nwrfca.org/faq/308parkinglights.htm
    Relay - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138866997&postcount=5

19. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So, if I bypass the dimmer rheostat and clean up the connections, standard (non-LED) bulbs should give appreciably better light?

At present, my car's guages are hardly readable with the light control turned to full brightness. The blinker lights are marginal, the high beam and other small lights are OK.

I'll study both of these in detail. Perhaps I could do one of them along with the two repairs that are definitely needed in the instrument pod area: Fix the instrument lights, and install a new water temp guage...the original one reads 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the actual coolant temperature.

Paul, thanks very much for your comprehensive advice.

20. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #20 Paul_308, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Antonio - Firstly, your English is better than the average American's at this point. They say half the world speaks English now and the US is just about there.

The only thing I could add to this is on page 2 #3 'You must pull out.' Some say the best tool to use for removing the indicator lights (green arrows) is dental floss (hilo dental). Only spelling suggestion is from "gentle" to "gently".

Dash Light Followers - I've downloaded Antonio's info but also his first pdf "How to: Dash lights" version is also valuable, so I'm posting that below.

A jumper across the dimmer wires will definitely help as opposed to just cleaning connections. Realize it is hard to define 'appreciable', it really depends how bad they are now.

Me? I still haven't been able to break loose my steering wheel screws as I'm scared of having to drill out broken ones. Don't know what color Locktite the po used but they won't budge with a hardened quality wrench and many applications of various loosening oils.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    excellent work, Antonio.

that rheostat looks like technology from the 50's :D.

works forever, I guess.

22. Mark van adrichem

Mar 30, 2009
    6,500 rpm
    Great advice, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.
    Had the car for 3 weeks now and already planning a fuse box upgrade (birdman), dash light upgrade and tips from Hans on suspension changes.
    Love it! Thanks!

23. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    See if you can find an impact driver, I refer to the kind you hit on the back with a hammer, that will most likely jar the Locktite and loosen the screws.

24. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Hi Paul.

Thanks for your kind words. For sure I will update the PDF with your suggestions and new updates. I'm trying new LED because I can't get the same brightness on the tacho as on the speedo. I will let you know.
    About loosening the steering wheel screws an impact driver would be the best solution. I've had one of these stuck on my wheel...

Cheers

25. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Perhaps the PO used Crazy Glue? I've removed the steering wheel on several of these cars, and even when they were tightened by a gorilla, the still come loose with a bit of force. I'd suggest using a little heat, but you really can't use a torch in there. What about a blast with a heat gun or hair dryer, to warm them up? Just a thought.