246GT | FerrariChat

246GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by alberto, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am looking at a 1970 (Euro Spec) 246GT, imported from Italy in about 1978. Towards the early serial number (probably one of the first 150 or so 246's). The car was repainted from red and the seats reupholtered at some point in its life in leather (original material was vinyl). The dash is original mouse hair represented to be in decent to good condition. The car as a whole has been represented to be in very good mechanical condition, decent paint, decent interior (owned by a mechanic who knows and is passionate about Ferrari's). Not a perfect car, but essentially a good driver. Electronic pictures e-mailed to me seem to back this up, although it is extremely hard for me to guage condition of any car via the computer.

Owner will negotiate somewhere in the "high $40k's". Car is missing the splash guards on three corners (the things that go in the wheel well that keep water from splashing from the tires onto the body panels), it is missing the air filter housing, and the dash has a hole in it where some sort of switch has been removed (not a switch that appears original to the car, at least according to the few pictures of dashes I have). The missing items appear to be available from the Ferrari Uk site, but the sum total is north of $2000. No tools, no books. Milage is 83,000 km, and the engine has never been redone. The car runs without any hickups, no sputtering, no backfiring, smokes a little if topped off with oil.

I am potentially interested in this car to use as a driver. I may or may not replace some of the missing hardware. I have not seen the car yet, but will if I proceed (that is essentially the next step).

I have the Forza 246 Dino buyer's guide, plus another two or three books and magazines with articles or specializing on Dino's. Owner strikes me as a straight shooter, great guy to talk to about cars.

A few questions:
    Any 246GT owners who can comment on what else to look for?

Can someone post pictures of the dash and door panels so that I can compare?

What is the engine life for a Dino?

Is it really normal for these cars to smoke a little, specially if oil dip stick shows full (i.e., they do not smoke or not much if oil is kept to the lower end of the marks on the dip stick).

How expensive is it to change out the valve sleeves to keep it from smoking?

What's your view as to price for this car?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Alberto

2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Any takers on this?