24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed | Page 6 | FerrariChat

24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Wow, cause your response was so mature. Good night

2. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Love them both ....think the Porsche and Ferrari are a perfect pair. One is sexy the wife loves to be in the passenger seat, and the other she yelling at you to slow the f*%k down. We’re a bunch on kids playing with hot wheels as adults and just love them all.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pdxjim488, SoCal to az and Adamtensta like this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Ditto that.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Didn't notice auto being bad in the 720S or the other McLarens. It was throttle and mode dependent. If you're just in Comfort/Normal and not being super aggressive, it does what it should -- upshift. Being in Track should be less aggressive with upshifts.

Auto is really useful though. When you're using your phone, when you're in traffic or in the city, when you're just tired and feel like relaxing. I always preferred a true manual, but having auto mode in the DCT definitely had its benefits.

I've heard the 911 Turbos and GT3s are actually faster on the track in auto mode and many fast lap tests are done in auto as well, so I guess there's that if you're a track rat.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I actually own both the cars I referred to- drive them weekly. Your post is just wrong.

6. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a Speciale so definitely never complained about the exhaust note or the performance. Amazing car but I would’ve liked a little more burble and bark when u take ur foot off the gas. Otherwise absolutely love the car and I would imagine that the 458 is not that far off in the sound and performance department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They must have screwed it up then somehow. Worked perfectly fine in 12C and 570S. I don't remember it being odd in 720S when I tested it, but then again, I wasn't really paying attention to it.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s one of those things you notice when you drive the cars regularly, not take it around the block for a test drive.

These cars are meant to be driven at higher revs. Manual mode- is the best way to fully experience high end exotics.

9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Question on the shifting, on the 458 or mclaren, are you supposed to lift the gas when shifting or is it OK to just hit the gas and shift when needed without taking your foot off the gas? I know 458 has dual clutch and that ppl recommended doing that on 360.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    With the paddle shifters, I don’t lift the foot off the gas.

11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Not that far is sound? Err...it’s actually better the 458 Spider has the best sound of all 458’s! Everyone knows that’s. In all other categories speciale is better (even though some people here say that in a track if you put Michelin Cup 2 in the regular 458’s they get similar times).

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Come on man, do you think the 458 has a lemon for gearbox? You only had to do that in the first generation of the R8.

iloveferrari likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    With DCT , not only is there no need to lift off the throttle when in manual mode, it is needlessly compromising speed and the advantage inherent in these transmissions.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Disclaimer- The above comments do not reflect the opinions of someone who has actual experience driving the cars listed. Your results may vary in the event you actually drive the cars under discussion.

BTW- The best sex I have ever had was with Megan Fox, although I have never met her in person.

iloveferrari likes this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The shift algorithm is programmed to deliver the best possible fuel economy and lowest emissions. I believe the reported MPG and CO2 figures are measured while the car is tested in that mode, hence why it upshifts so early.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- totally get it. I know why it happens but the end result is the same. Terrible driving experience.

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What happens in the 720s in track mode with full throttle? It goes to redline, does it not?

McLaren shifting has always been very throttle dependent, annoyingly so in fact.

Auto mode is for when you don't feel like driving or drag racing. It's super convenient if you daily drive your exotic.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why are you still arguing? I own the cars and I’m telling you my first hand experience. In over 2 years with the 488, I’ve never used auto mode. Ever. In 4 months of 720 ownership, I’ve never use auto mode. Ever.

This why people put you on ignore. Comment on things you know about, not things you don’t have a clue on.

paulchua and Ash Patel like this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I couldn’t agree with you more. What’s the point of owning these cars and driving them in grandma mode ? What am I missing? For the past 7-8 years I’ve owned a Ferrari I’ve not driven any of them in auto ( grandma ) mode. Best , Kirk.

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is spot on. Speciale doesn’t sound as good. But looks awesome!

tekaefixe likes this.
  21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So you guys drive around at redline constantly? Weird.

I don't understand the point in shifting if you're going to shift it 3 to 4,000 RPMs anyway.

if you daily drive an exotic, and I mean truly use it as a means of transportation from a to b, a lot of the time it makes no sense to manually shift it. Who wants to be seen driving around at redline making a bunch of noise going slow?

22. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
  23. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Really? Maybe a few people use their Exotic as a DD, but 99% of us don’t. It is not a “means of transportation”. That would be an Accord.

24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    What a great idea! The display should show an old lady icon in Auto, a normal guy in sport, race car driver in Race, and the devil in ‘electronics off’.....

Cigarzman and SoCal to az like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I say this respectfully- please stop posting. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Ash Patel likes this.