250 Cabriolet 1697GT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

250 Cabriolet 1697GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bobj, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #126 John Vardanian, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can't tell if it is an interior mirror, I suspect it's a bespoke fabrication. I have emailed the owner, will let you know if I hear back. Thanks.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Many thanks, does look less like and interior mirror in that pic. I wonder how it's fixed?

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Actually, the more I look at it the more I am convinced these are motorcycle mirrors, stem and all, with the only fabricated piece being the triangular base. But I don't know how the base is attached to the window frame. Let's see if we'll hear from the Aurelia's owner.

john

4. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #129 Bobj, Oct 29, 2015
  5. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Hmm, not sure why it's rotated the 1st 3, they aren't rotated when I view them on my computer

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Fixed it for you.

7. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Bob, I have had the same dilemma with my 330 GTC for many years. I don't want to spoil the wing/door line with an ugly attachment but on the other hand feel a bit uncomfortable about the lack of rearward vision in heavy traffic or when driving on the 'wrong' side on the road in Europe.

As a temporary fix I have in the past used additional sucker-fixed interior mirrors in the top corners of the screen - ugly but works to an extent and they can be quickly removed.

I also rode shotgun in an Aston DB6 with additional fixed interior mirrors attached to the top corners of the dashboard. These seemed to give the driver quite a good view over his and the passenger's shoulder and took in the side windows. But again, no prizes for beauty!

Practical considerations aside, I agree with John's emphatic 'No'!

John

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #133 John Vardanian, Oct 29, 2015
    Beautiful car, these picture should give you all the reasons you need for not drilling the doors. It is conchiglia gray isn't it? I think you went back with he original interior colors, didn't you? Looks great.

Actually, for me the Aurelia's mirror is still too invasive. This is what I've done. It works, out of the way and doesn't impede the operation of the door or the wing window.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Many thanks!

10. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Yes it's the original conchiglia gray, one of the reasons I bought the car was I really like this colour and enjoyed the opportunity to put it back to original.

I really like your mirror solution - it looks really neat! Was there much fabrication involved or are they off the shelf parts?

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    No fabrication whatsoever. The mirror is an MGA dash mirror and as you can see the rest is a piece of leather and safety wire.

john