250 GT California Spyder on TV March 16 | FerrariChat

250 GT California Spyder on TV March 16

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by DavidWP, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #1 DavidWP, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The TV show 'Restoration Garage' is going to be restoring a Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder. The show is on 'Velocity' network at 10 pm EST March 16, 2017.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Its nor a geniuine California, but a rebody or whatever You like to call it. Have a look on their FB-Account.

3. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    I guess they are "recreating" one for a customer with a real one, he doesn't feel safe driving the real one, and wants a facsimile to drive instead.

4. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #4 DavidWP, Mar 17, 2017
    I went through it a couple of times and he said 'the client doesn't want to drive 'a' 12-14 million dollar car on the street' not very specific if the client wants a clone of what he has or doesn't want to buy a real California. The car they are building looks like a long wheelbase version.

I am not a fan of recreations but the show did offer some interesting insights into shaping a body from flat aluminum sheets, including panel beating over sandbags. Two of the panel beaters said they have never done that kind of metalwork before; interesting project for learning.

This was apparently Part I of several. There was no discussion of what chassis and engine will be used but the shop owner called it a 'million dollar' recreation.

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Is the client Lawrence Stroll?

Ferris Bueller?

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Moderators

Please move this entire thread to the the replica section.
    Thank you.

Marcel Massini

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    + 1

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it is a completely new build from scratch... both chassis and body ...the first episode showed body panels formed over a wooden buck, a separate crew began working on the chassis, very little coverage in this episode... maybe more coverage later... didn't see any mention of the drive train etc... they built a multi million dollar Bugatti coupe recreation, the 250 Cali will be an easy build for them, when compared to other builds they have turned out

9. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Are they the "Aérolite" builders?
    The work was impressive!

10. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    No clue on the chassis or the motor or the gearbox, I guess we'll have to wait.

11. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Yes...

they are building the chassis for the Cali from scratch...

12. 275nart

275nart Rookie

Jan 3, 2017
    SC
    The bugatti recreation they did was stellar. I do watch this show week to week and am interested to see how they approach the rest of the body and what I assume will include a 3 liter engine and running gear.

13. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #13 DavidWP, May 3, 2017
  14. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #15 DavidWP, May 3, 2017
    Serial Number 1833GT 60
    Ferrari 250 GT PF Cabriolet S2, LHD

Would the above have anything to do with this picture having an '1833' label?

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #16 Marcel Massini, May 3, 2017
    This dashboard has zero to do with 250 GT Cabriolet Series II Chassis #1833 GT.

Here's 1833 GT.

Marcel Massini

16. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    I decided to go to the source to request information about the parts used for their Ferrari project. I received from the General Manager of The Guild a very professional and complete reply to my note:

"Hello David,

Thank you for your interest in the Guild and Restoration Garage. I believe that we are going to be shooting the Ferrari this spring into fall for season 4 of the television show. We are putting an awful lot into the re-body and trying to bring the same attention to detail as we have in the past to such projects as the Bugatti Aerolithe Recreation and our 1946 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Cabriolet Pininfarina Speciale.

The project itself consists of a 1966 Ferrari 330 complete chassis and drivetrain. The chassis number is 9219 and the engine we are not sure. It appears as though it is a factory unstamped replacement engine as the cast pad area that the number goes on clearly shows that it has never been filed, ground or previously stamped. The gearbox is a correct 330 GT 4 speed with an overdrive unit. The rear end has been identified as the original rear end for chassis 9219. Though this is a rebody and we are building all the coachwork for it, the car itself will be very faithful to the originals as there are “replica's” out there that are made of fiberglass or have taken liberties in the aluminum coachwork that separate them as a replica. This car is being bodied for a client that loves to drive, and loves cars. He said he could buy a real California, but would not want to drive such an investment in case something were to happen to it. Instead, he wants us to build a complete perfect recreation of the coachwork and incorporate as many Ferrari components as possible so that the car is indistinguishable from an original from the outside. However, it is important to note that it will be well documented and exhibited that this is chassis 9219 and is indeed a 1966 330 GT with California Spyder coachwork.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions, I’d be happy to help."

Interesting information, particularly the unstamped engine. Is that common?

David

17. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Further information including some interesting modifications and parts sourcing:

"David,

It’s always good to talk with a fellow enthusiast. Sometimes I wonder why some people take the purist attitude so far as to be rude when you mention that you are rebodying a car. I understand the point of view, but I believe that it is better that 9219 survive in some form (and in my opinion a beautiful form) than for it to be used as parts or completely discarded, but then again I am a true enthusiast and genuinely love cars.
    I believe that you are right when it comes to the client with the 4 liter engine. I think that it will be a rocket, with sounds and smells of a true Ferrari driving experience. The car will also be upgraded with a 375 steering gear ratio to make steering a little easier and we are going to install an electric power assist available from EZpower steering in the Netherlands.
    I’m using a lot of reproduction parts that are made in Italy off the original bucks by the original builders of the California Spyders. Such items as the dashboard, the convertible top frame, the bumpers, the grille and side grilles and the firewall are all items that are brought in from Italy. It gives me a certain number of known measurements that allow me to verify that other unknown dimensions are correct when we are building the body. This is a really fun project and I can’t wait for it to be finished. I am going to try and make a big statement with this car by publishing photos of the car in full bare aluminum and metal finished to the point where it is nearly a sin to put paint on the car. I want our true craftsmanship to come through on this project as it may help with there being any naysayers about it being a rebody.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or comments, I always make time for a fellow enthusiast."

18. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    9219:Overdrive trans. I don't think so.

19. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Restoration Garage
    Antique and classic cars are restored by the Guild of Automotive Restorers in Bradford, Ont.
    Season 4, Episode 10
    March 21, 2018

Collection Obsession
    The Guild's complete rebuild of a Ferrari 250 GT Spyder is moving ahead with the arrival of a grill assembly; and David's obsession with collection tractors goes to the next level when 5 new tractors arrive from CA.

20. Manuel.G

Manuel.G Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    España - Madrid
    1833GT it was registered yesterday in Madrid, Spain.

Frank_Ford and hoymatriculado like this.
  21. Frank_Ford

Frank_Ford Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Terra
    Full Name:
    Frank Ford
    Do you know what engine is in 1833GT. Someone is selling the original engine in California in the Ferrari Market Letter.