250 GT California SWB Original paint depth | FerrariChat

250 GT California SWB Original paint depth

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Golfer9491, Feb 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golfer9491

Golfer9491 Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    Ohio
    I have the paint gauge readings off the car from the Baillon Collection. I know with Ferrari's there can be a huge variance. What should the proper range be?

2. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I think you want to move this to the vintage section. This area is more about the Vintage market.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I agree; that was the wrong place to draw an appropriate response. Thread moved.

4. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
  5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have no idea what paint depth really means, but I think it was black this morning.

6. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Paint thickness

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Yeah unlikely to be relevant for a 50 year old car in this condition.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #8 Terra, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    However, assuming the car's never received any paint/bodywork since new, paint thickness will give a good historical reference for just how thick the paint + other underlying material on top of the metal are supposed to be for an original/unmolested Scaglietti-bodied early-1960s Ferrari, etc.

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Please share the paint gauge readings for the total thickness of the paint + underlying material up till the metal, etc.

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Does not mean anything as something like 30-70% of the mass has evaporatated during the past 50 years and the layers have gotten much thinner in the process. I just removed something like 13-16 coats of paint from my GTE and had no idea there were so many as the newest layer was sprayed around 1970 or so and as a result of evaporation the total thickness of the "cake" matched maybe 3-4 fresh coats of paint.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You cannot use a paint thickness gauge on a Ferrari from that vintage and carrozzeria and expect to get consistent readings. The craftsmen at Scaglietti would coat the entire car in a thin/thick coating of bondo/filler and then sand the car smooth before painting it.

They were hand built and hand painted cars. They are not like a modern car. The information from your gauge will be useless.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +1
    Although I'm not very familiar with earlier Scaglietti coach work, but my (limited) experience with Daytonas has revealed surprising (shocking ?) amount of fillers (which BTW includes A LOT of lead) being used to produce reasonable surface for final paint.
    I can only imagine how things were ten years earlier (=less experience?).