250 GT SWB 'revival' | Page 5 | FerrariChat

250 GT SWB 'revival'

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by DanNE, Feb 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    James, please it was not directed to you, and you are absolutely right!

Regards, Alberto

RamsHmb likes this.
  2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi Alberto
    That’s a very kind response and I appreciate your thoughts. And I do understand many of your points in the original post and completely get why many think this is the wrong thing to do given the history of the brand and how few cars were made in this era. It would be a travesty with a car that had racing or historical history or If the owner tried to play it off as a fake. If this was a great, well sorted car/donor and was chopped for the sake or chopping I would also feel upset. I love the spirited discussion and opinions and I will not take it personally, especially from someone as thoughtful as you. The world needs more civility…especially on line and you are great example.
    Best
    James

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello James,
    Thank you for your kind reply and your 'esprit de corps' !
    I live in El Salvador, but in Mill Valley now for a brief stint. Possibly we can meet?
    If able, please PM.
    Regards, Alberto

4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi Alberto
    Same! Sounds great. I am not in the Bay Area much if at all right now but if timing works I would be more than happy to.
    Best
    James

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    OK James,
    please PM for potential arrangements.

Regards, Alberto

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    To me a fake is something blatantly purported to be an original, given that the item cannot be blamed for such, then it is purely the human that is making the claim that is at fault.

A reproduction is a homage to the original, an appreciation of its qualities, no one who see's a copy of the Mona Lisa, however good it may be is actually is daft enough to think its the original!

Those that build or commission such copies like the GTO version of the SWB should be proud of the skills involved and laud those openly as such, and as long as they do they can hold their heads high in my view.

Also no one with any common sense would be duped into paying original money for a copy, GTO have stated they mark their components such that they cannot be passed off as original.

It only takes a few clicks on a computer these days to get access to the right people who can guide potential buyers of an original away from any traps.

Given the value of decent 250 GTE etc these days then no one is chopping up the good ones, its only the parts cars and basket cases that are being used as donors, and lets not forget nothing gets wasted, so they then provide a healthy supply of hard to find items for keeping the good ones alive.

RamsHmb, tritone and swift53 like this.
  7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    IMHO, Really well said and my thoughts exactly.

PAUL500 likes this.
  8. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Hoping u have the car back from the spa vacation. I am settling in on color and spec. I have my donor car and it’s in their shop. Using everything possible and then they will reuse jay they can on other GTE restos. I am also having the make a 250 revival badge for the car. How are you liking yours?

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/5241/lot/578390

Next stop, GTO's retirement home for aged 250 GTE;s in deepest darkest Wales no doubt :)

The purists will demand it should be saved regardless of cost, but not actually put their hands in their pockets to do such.

RamsHmb likes this.
  10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Just put some air in the tires and she's good to go :)

PAUL500 likes this.
  11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    BJK likes this.
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    BJK likes this.
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yeah replica. Forgot on what chassis. Engine apparently made 400hp. Was quite fast on the track

16. Sturm59

Sturm59 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2019
    There is no copyright Marcel. Even for the '62 GTO!! But doing that is nonsense. I dream of a '62 GTO, I can afford a recreation but will never buy. It will remain my dream car.