250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    That belongs to Kare who posts here as "Kare" :)

2. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Nice call Yale! I have been trying to track down John and his GTE for two years and just got in touch with him last month. The car is 2525 GT. He had another GTE before that, but doesn't remember the number. Do any of you know it?

That is Kare's site. He posts here often and is quite knowledgeable about the 250's

New Owner here Tom,
    Welcome to the club, B.R.! I look forward to hearing more about your car and lets talk about the site.

3. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    #28 Playframe King, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C328373

sorry if a repost - silly price too from auction house - sells tomorrow

Doesnt appear in Boudewijns or Michaels list earlier in this thread? - so thought it may be of interest?

1962 Ferrari 250GTE 2+2 Series 2 Coupé
    Coachwork by Pininfarina
    Registration no. WPC 9G
    Chassis no. 3203
    Engine no. 3203
    £10,000 - 20,000

This left-hand drive 250GTE was sold new in February 1962 via official dealer M Gastone Crepaldi of Milan, Italy to local resident, Luigi Ceccarelli, a music composer and movie director. In June 1963 Ceccarelli sold the Ferrari to Giovani Rondanini of Busto Garolfo, Milan, and the accompanying Massini Report lists three further owners in Italy before it passed to a new owner in Munich, Germany in 1968. The next owner listed (from 1969) is Frank Plusinski, an American airman stationed in the UK, who in March 1971 sold the car to the current vendor. The latter used the Ferrari for a few years and then dismantled it with a view to restoring the car during his retirement. However, the project was never started and the car remains in that state today. Presented in 'barn find' condition and sold strictly as viewed, this challenging but potentially most rewarding Ferrari restoration project is offered with the aforementioned Massini Report and copies of its original ASI papers.

4. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #29 PAUL BABER, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Heres the catalogue picture.......It needs EVERYTHING and is only about 75% complete.......but I bet it makes silly money. Some restoration shop will benefit from this.......

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Ferrari Chat browser tells me my pic file is invalid........

6. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    #31 epdowd, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Paul - This may be the picture you were trying to post. I have seen photos of the boxes of parts that come with it and they are a disorganized mess! Wonder how much is missing?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    A real beauty there Paul! Great color combo.

Geno

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The early November date is when the chassis frame was shipped to Pininfarina and the construction of bodywork was started. The car was not completed until January of 1963.

Did you have the gearbox number checked for certification? Would love to know the number as they are sort of hard to get at...

Best wishes, Kare

9. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thats the One ........ I will take a guess.......and this is written before the auction......that the car will sell for around GBP 110,000 ( US 176.000 approx )......... I would also suggest it will take at least GBP 150,000 ( US 240,000) to restore to a half decent car..........So thats GBP 260,000 ( US 416,000 approx.) World record price ? Even if its bought for a recreation project the build costs would be even more.......

What does that make a perfect GTE with all its books and tools worth that you could drive away today ? Sadly the two figures don't equate.

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I will check the papers and get back to you

11. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I was once told that owners were just custodians for life and with that comes a heavy responsibility.......

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Restore other GTEs? The reality seems to be that the remains are shopped around in hope that a fool would come up and pay $15-25000 for the pieces that willl never be needed - and when this is not happening the body will be cut up and discarded to save storage space.

13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Agree...... I am often offered worn out seats or seat frames, door cards and various panels......Rarely the smallers items that I would pay good money for.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Yes restore other GTEs, the reality. This might not be your reality ofcourse.

15. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    #40 w.Hudkins, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #41 kare, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    Having seen the left overs from several cars, I fail to see much that could be reused. The market for dinged bumpers and chipped windows cannot be very strong. Then you have random interior panels, a dashboard (no gauges), remains of electrical circuit board, register plate light and tail lights. Very rare to see a project car that would desperately need any of these.

Best wishes, Kare

17. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  18. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Less than I thought it would make but its still a huge commitment to create a 250 GTE from the bits that were sold. I hate to say this but I suspect we will see its been bought for its identity.

19. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    I think it will become a SWB...

20. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    GTO Eng Ltd ???????

21. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    Female Policewomon bought it for the reg

22. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    There is a good 250 GTE Body only with tags for sale on Australian Flea-Bay.

No engine or chassis.

$18.000

Been there for around a month.

23. B.R.

B.R. Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Full Name:
    B.R.
    Beautiful color what color is that exactly?

24. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Ok, I have had a chance to play with the Register and here is what I have found:

GTE's confirmed to be alive and whole since 2009: 221
    GTE's converted to convertibles (and could easily be restored): 2
    GTE's confirmed to be alive and whole before 2009: 337
    GTE's we have no information on at all: 129

So, we have 337 that have not come up for air in a while and 129 that we do not have a single scrap of information on, for a total of 466. So, if we assume 20% of these are still out there and add it to the 223 we are comfortable with, we get approximately 320 left. It is just a ballpark, but one that I am comfortable with.

So what happened to the others? Well, 108 were parted (though 29 of those are still driving around with non original engines) and 3 were confirmed to have been totaled.

That leaves us with 154 "Reproductions", which breaks down to 45 SWB Berlinettas, 36 GTOs, 34 Testa Rossas, 19 Cal Spyders, 4 TDFs, 2 225 Vignales and 15 that defy categorization.

If I wrote that up correctly, that accounts for all 954 GTE's built. Thoughts?

25. B.R.

B.R. Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Full Name:
    B.R.

Wow that is great work! Of the 221
    Could you tell us how many of each series are still alive ? I,II+III
    Thanks
    B.R.