250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ? | Page 29 | FerrariChat

250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Without a doubt, one of the most elegant cars I've ever seen.
    When I lived in Milan in the early/mid sixties, I saw quite a few of these.

Question for the experts: I noticed a number of subtle differences in the two versions, especially in the lighting.
    What comprised the suspension and drivelines (engine, transmission, rear axle, wheels)? Were they also subject to assorted variations?
    I believe that one or possibly both versions were equipped with a Laycock de Normanville (sp) overdrive.
    Just curious!

Bob Z.

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Tom Wilson is talking about his beautiful car here. It's a great video:

635CSI, Bryanp, ArtS and 3 others like this.
  3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Nice job Tom!

readplays likes this.
  4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    ivo73, lgs and readplays like this.
  5. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Where is the auction at ? Tons of money needed to re-create the body panels. and as far as the chassis and mechanical s.........who knows how salvageable they are. Why people subject these cars to such neglect is beyond me. Thank you for posting.

readplays likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I baught mine in around 1974 or 1975 it was looking like the same. not so much rust, but no wheels, better bumpers but engine dismanteled in the inside and in the trunk with missing oilpan and seats with birds building there nests on the seats and in the inside

also like to know this

readplays likes this.
  7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1464922

turbo-joe, V12addict and readplays like this.
  8. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes, and the cost of restoration on one of these Ferraris was much easier and less costly in mid seventies, plus parts were a lot more readily available then.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I suspect the moss will raise the price!

Sincerely,
    Art S.

Bryanp likes this.
  10. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Don't see any alternative route other than chassis stamp being cut out and being welded onto the brand-new chassis of a not-quite-perfect replica of a 250 SWB. If someone saves this and restores it, I'll eat my desk.

-Ed

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    enjoy your meal ed :)

if there are all matching numbers then it would make sense to restore. later then you have an original car, not a replica.

when I baught my first GT/E from a junk yard it ws looking nearly equal, but the engine dismantled in the trunk and in the inside with missing oilpan and missing wheels. but all matching numbers and I started to restore but after many years I had not the time to go on and so I sold it. body complete done and new paint, engine and brakes also all done.

unfortunately I not know if the engine and gearbox is there or not. if there would be missing a lot of important parts then I would think several times before starting restoring or making a SWB or something else. but for this you not have to cut out the VIN.

12. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    My guess is that GTO Engineering has its eyes on both GTE’s (one a rolling chassis) in this auction…

13. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Hi Tom,

Could you fit in a new project, Rocinante might like a stable mate......:>)

Cheers,

Sam

14. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Not sure i have another 20 years of restoration in me Sam…

15. Santi23

Santi23 Rookie

Feb 5, 2022
    Full Name:
    Santiago Garcia Rosa
    Marcel,

This thread is very old but I found it while doing some research on that 250 GTE (#3003). It was offered to me in Spain. First, I would like to thank you for sharing that information because I didn't know that it was a non-matching car. Then, I wanted to ask you something about the shape of the front grill. I do notice that the front grill is smaller on the right than on the left. The shape is not perfect and the "oval" shape is uneven overall. Would you that that is due to these cars being handmade or that it is because it had bodywork at some point?

Thank you!

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All hand made, absolutely normal.
    Do not apply modern 2022 standards and perfectionism when looking at 62 year old handbuilt cars.

Marcel Massini

17. Santi23

Santi23 Rookie

Feb 5, 2022
    Full Name:
    Santiago Garcia Rosa
    Great. Thanks again, Marcel.

18. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    As far as I understand GTO bought it and so it makes sense to assume that it will be the base for a rep.

As I understood it was a car with a write-off accident in its 1st year which was taken by the trade and repaired to dubious quality. The first owner got another new Gte after its write off.

I am sure Marcel Massini will be able to tell the complete story.

All the best
    Christopher

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Looks like a very typical bad accident repair. Replacement parts were not necessarily expensive, but it took in many cases eternities to get them delivered. I think the bonnet ordered for my car finally arrived in two years time or so.

20. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    3081 GT was sold post 2003 from The Netherlands to Treviso, Italy.
    21 October 2013 the car was confiscated by the Italian Guardia di Finanza/IRS.
    In November 2016 it was sold by RM Sotheby's Duemila Ruote auction in Milan, on behalf of the Italian government/IRS.
    The engine with the car is 4747 GT.
    Original colors were Blu Scuro 11456 with Rosso VM 3171 Connolly leather interior.

Marcel Massini

ivo73 and readplays like this.
  22. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Hi everyone!

I was talking cars with my father over lunch and he mentioned to me that in the early 1960s he was in holidays in Auvergne and saw on a car park a 250 GTE, silver, registered in the French department of Puy de Dome (63), and drivent by a young lady! It was the first Ferrari he ever saw on the road and is not sure the picture he took is still around!

anyone know of such a car, and if it’s still around ?

23. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Try to post in the French section, maybe more luck. You also can read the latest book written by Cyrille Jacquinot on Philippe Gardette who was the Ferrari dealer in Auvergne for decades

. Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    3975 GT was originally Grigtio Argento with Nero leather and registered to a Mr. Moinade on plate 1 LE 63 in Puy de Dom.. Not sure about the young lady, but I think we have a winner! It is now red and still in France. Photo from Metcalf.org.uk

Image Unavailable, Please Login