250 GTE vs Maserati 3500 | FerrariChat

250 GTE vs Maserati 3500

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dsd, Dec 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    So I have started daydreaming about my next project in a year or two-- finally getting a vintage car.

I am considering the following:

Maserati 3500 GT
    250 GTE 2+2
    330 2+2 (single headlight)

The above list takes into consideration many factors including economic realities. Money no object, the answer is a 410SA, followed by a 250 PF Cab. However, thats just not going to happen.

I think the 3500 may be the prettiest of the group and I think shares some design cues of the 410SA that I love so much.

I am interested in any and all thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
    dsd

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My theory with classic cars is that you should buy the model you most want and can afford regardless of what others may say Make sure you get the car properly inspected before you buy it make sure there are no hidden moneypits under the shiny exterior

3. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I love the 3500gt too. From a driving perspective I put them on a par except the 330 has more grunt, and the engineering is pretty equal except Maserati outsourced more components eg gearbox, back axle. Big plus for me with the Maser is the alloy body which makes it that bit more special to my eyes.
    Coincidentally I've recently bought a 250 GTE roller from the US and also have a 3500GTI engine coming in the same consignment. There is a fair chance the Maser engine will end up in the GTE as 250 engines are far too expensive!

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    All three are great cars.

First off, drive good examples of each. The 330 offers more room for the driver, which for me is significant. The Maserati has a very different sound than the Ferraris, which may be important to you.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I agree with you regarding the 410SA (or any of the other early big engined road cars) being the ultimate.

5. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I PERSONALLY would choose the 250GTE, assuming all are in the same condition and the prices are similar...

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Given current prices, I think that the 250 GTE will appreciate the most followed closely by the 330. The Maserati certainly has not hit its ceiling and is a good buy now, but will not compete long term with a Ferrari in the market. I think the 3500 Vignale Spyder is a great buy now but when I am ready don't think they will be in my price range.

I think its a toss up between the 250 and 3500, but that may see saw a million times before I'm ready :)

-dsd

7. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    ever considered a lancia flaminia GT?
    wonderfull car for the buck

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Depends on which series of the 3500 GT you chose! The last series III is fitted with a 5-speed gearbox and 4-disc-brakes. The engine of the 3500 has much more torque than the 250 GT and its quite a fast car. I personally like the "interim"-version: series I with 5-speed and front-dics and rear drums. Here -IMO- the body has some more of the nicer early details.

Ciao!
    Walter

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    dsd,

I strongly recommend driving the cars. The 250 has very little torque down low; since you've driven modern Ferraris, a 250's power band will take some getting used to. To me, the 330 is much more drivable, the extra liter of displacement gives the engine much more flexibility down low.

Regards,

Art S.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I am in a similar boat. I am considering selling my 348ts and going vintage. I was considering a 512TR but think the 330 or 250 would probably be the way to go for me. If they were equal in price I will probably go for the 250. Are there any specific dealers for those type of cars other than Sheehan's???
    BT

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I would prefer the 330 over the 250--more powerful, more pleasant to drive, and no worrisome OD. I have had a few Masers, and all that I can say is that I missed the wonderful sound of the V12. But the others are right: drive a few good examples, and take your pick. It's your money and your choice; no one can do it for you.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    What about the 365GT? Fantasy Junction has one coming in that is priced within the acquisition budget. The salesman there (Chris) suggested that the 330 (preferably GTC) would be better due to its lack of the self-levelling suspension. Any 365GT owners care to chime in on the car?
    BT

13. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Man I love my 250 GTE. It is a great car. Beautiful in person.

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #14 Bryanp, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love my 365; the extra displacement seems to make a difference - I've been able to drive my car and then Michael Bayer's 330 back-to-back (both cars are well set-up). The queen seems to have a little more low-end grunt and you don't seem to notice the car's weight as a result. The only drawback for me is the bigness of the car - it is still the largest Ferrari ever made (a couple inches longer than the 612). Maneuvering the big beast can be a challenge in urban environments, but that's not what the car was built for - it is the ultimate 1960s grand tourer.

My self-levellers failed about two years ago. Until someone in the community comes up with a time-proven re-build for the Koni units, I have installed a pair of Monroe air-max shocks (painted orange), run the air lines discreetly and hidden the valve next to the spare tire. Total cost; $80. I adjust the height about once a year.

sorry for the hijack. GTEs are great cars too!! It's all about the v-12 sound
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My plan is to talk to some owners and look over various models during the upcoming Cavallino and make my decision from there. I guess I am looking at either the 330, 250, or 365 series cars, doubtful I will get into a 2 seater. I'm guessing I'll be on the hunt for whatever I decide to pursue from February through early summer or so. I got some nice emails from Tom Yang and will talk to him at Cavallino also. It is great to live so close to some good Ferrari events! In photos I prefer the look of the 365 because of the low hood line that is similar to the 365 GTC. The 250 might be the best investment, but it might be TOO old school for me.
    :)
    BT

16. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    #16 AndruetBiche, Dec 27, 2007
    I vote for the GTE - I'm biased of course having owned this Series 1 for over 25 years. I've also had a Dino and a Lusso - but this is the keeper. Its all about the motor and the V12 in the GTE is much more akin to the comp cars of its period than any of the later 2+2s. Its also very simple and easy to work on if thats your thing. Face it, nobody drives their 2+2 ten tenths so go for a GTE because its the best looking 2+2, reliable, has the best investment potential and makes a great long distance tourer( the OD feature won me over the short geared 4spd Lusso). In town, the large greenhouse is ideal, steering is light and parking is easy. The lack of torque means I just row the gearbox more and listen to the V12 music a benefit not a chore. .........and if I squint a bit from the right angle she looks like my SWB dream car.

-K1- likes this.
  17. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    BT,

I'll be at the Cavallino This year if you want to talk GTE. I will not have my car there though. I'll send you a PM with my cell. I bought my GTE 2 years ago. I'm a young guy and love the vintage 250. That sound is incredible at about 4500 to 5000 RPM. It is a grat car that is a ton of fun to drive. Give me a call.

AndrueBiche, You are so right about the resemblance of the swb. My wife who loves Ferrari's also thinks the GTE looks similar to the swb. I have also had my father whose a car guy say the same thing. I gotta tell you it makes my day when I hear that. I really think the front end has a lot of resemblance.

William

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If you are able to find one, the Maserati Vignale spyder is undoubtedly the most beautiful of the group. The 3500 hard top is a great choice as well. I like the 3500 look of much more than the Ferrari's in question, but I would miss the V12.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #19 BT, Dec 28, 2007
    No doubt that they are all great (looking) and sounding cars. The front end treatment of the 365 seems the most pleasing to me in pictures, but I have decided to wait until I see them at Cavallino to decide. I know I must have seen plenty of them at the past two years Cavallino concours, but I was not paying attention to what was what. It seems like the price rise on the 365 has not hit here yet. In Europe they have already appreciated a bit, and here the prices are still about the same as a Series 1 330GT. I look forward to meeting some of the Vintage car owners at the Cavallino. I'll be driving either my 348ts or my silver Ginetta. I'll also try to remember to wear my FCA name tag.
    BT

20. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    GTE + hood scoop - overriders = more swb like!

21. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR

Has the front bumber been hit? Looks twisted.

22. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    #22 AndruetBiche, Jan 6, 2008
  23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    When you win the lottery and have enough money for your SWB, sell me the 250. I had one, but it was a scruffy driver, and it was 35 years ago. One of the cars I regret ever selling of the close to 200 sportscars I've owned.....only 2 Ferraris....mostly Alfas...

24. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    I've owned two 3500 GTi's and although the exhaust note is less exotic sounding than the 250 Ferrari's, driving them is a very nice experience. The car feels "relatively" light due to the aluminum body. There's enough power for smooth slightly oversteering attitude in the curves. The build quality and interior appointments are hard to match. There is certainly more finesse in the interior details than in the 250 Ferrari. Either car is nice but the Ferrari will feel a little more like steering a truck than the Maserati. The exterior of the Ferrari is more subtle and retrained in design, the Maserati is a little less secure in it's details, but still pleasing.
    Scott

-K1- likes this.
  25. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #25 vvassallo, Jan 7, 2008
    I have toyed with this idea as well and I am leaning towards a Sebring II. To me they are the prettiest of the 3500 series cars (lighter too) and the Series II have a slightly higher performing motor (4.0 liter). Too bad there are so few copies and body restoration can be amazingly expensive unless you are good at fabrication. Still, if you can find one that is nearly there, it would be worth it. Otherwise a Series I is a good bet.

If you really want a better hedge, think about a Lambo Jarama "S" - later era, 12-cylinder car, totally ignored by the investor market. Looking at these pix below, I know which I'd choose. I also don't think that Jarama is an "S", but it's hard to tell from the front since the badge is on the rear.