250 GTO, Berwyn(PA) Ale House, Daily Driver, Late 60s | FerrariChat

250 GTO, Berwyn(PA) Ale House, Daily Driver, Late 60s

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by cmaxcliff, Aug 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmaxcliff

cmaxcliff Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    Chester Springs PA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Murray
    I lived in Devon PA when I was 15 or 16 and (I assume) the owner of the Berwyn Ale House parked his Ferrari out front very often. I am about 95% certain it was a 250 GTO. Does anybody have any information about that car?

When the Daytona Spider was a new car I was a kid working at Molin Body Shop in Wayne PA and they repaired shipping damage for Algar. Mostly I drove Dinos but I did get to drive a yellow Daytona Spider with black and white(I think) seats still wrapped in plastic. That car was a truck around town especially compared to my Porsche 356 but I suffered through the ordeal.:)

I recently purchased my first Ferrari, a 575M, and now I feel like it was always meant to happen. Nice car.

375+ likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    S1 GTO? Or S2?
    Pix?

Marcel Massini

3. cmaxcliff

cmaxcliff Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    Chester Springs PA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Murray
    S1. I saw the car many times but 50 years ago I didn't take pictures of things like that. Our area, the Philadelphia Main Line, was rich with unusual and often very exotic cars. Back then I was riding my bicycle and a Porsche 904 drove by. Before that I lived 2 blocks from a guy with a BMW 507. When I just started driving a Lamborghini Miura drove past. Algar Ferrari sold a lot of cars. My deceased friend Robert Kling, son of Vincent Kling a successful architect, drove dad's aluminum body 275 GTB 4-cam to prep school.

lgs and 375+ like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What color was that alloy bodied fourcam? Nocciola? If so, it must have been 09501 ex John Annis, which went to Kirk F. White in PA.

Marcel Massini

5. cmaxcliff

cmaxcliff Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    Chester Springs PA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Murray
    I never saw that car. I didn't know Robert until around 2000 when he bought a new Kawasaki ZX14R from my dealership. I am sure that the car was bought from Al Garthwaite(Algar) as were other Kling Ferraris. The families were close, so much so that Robert married Al's daughter.

I met Kirk many times through a mutual friend that shared space with him at the Hershey PA swap meet. Before I met him I went to his used car business in Fort Washington PA to drool on the used Ferraris. I would not be surprised if he had that car at some point since he owned/sold many important cars. Kirk was involved with Penske/Donahue and they had all of their work done at Molin Body Shop in Wayne where I worked summers for my uncle.

375+ likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great stuff, Cliff. Do you remember Phil Tegtmeier and Mike Tilson? They were part of the Kirk White/Algar crew. Thanks for posting!

7. cmaxcliff

cmaxcliff Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    Chester Springs PA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Murray
    I spoke to Phil via email this week. He is turning 80 very soon. I bought 3 Alfas from him while he was at Algar. I told him I bought a 575M and his advice was to drive it a lot. Always good advice vs polishing. I don't know Mike Tilson well but a friend and I used to go to his shop after hours to see (I think) Dieter Ost prep the Porsche for IMSA racing. Years later I restored a Daimler SP250 and won many shows with it. Mike and some other guy had a Jag XK120 they showed and they were overly competitive and didn't like being beaten by an ugly Daimler. I like the SP250 but others do not. I gave up showing cars because I wasn't getting much satisfaction doing it. Mike and Phil have put a lot of effort into the Radnor Hunt show.

375+ and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Andrew MacDonald?