250 GTO damaged during GTO tour | Page 4 | FerrariChat

250 GTO damaged during GTO tour

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Symoon, Jul 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well I for one don't see why this thread cannot now go in the direction of fixing up the car, with a progress report on the people involved too.

To see the skill of the people that are going to fix this car via a series of photos would be something that many of us rarely see and worth admiring.
    Pete

2. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    Whats so wrong with a pic of the car?
    Of course the health of the drivers is the most important thing but now that we know they are okay i do not have a problem with a pic of the damaged car. a 250 GTO is one of the most important Ferrari and every historian, telaioisti or enthusiast is interested in these cars and their full history. the owners know that and have to live with public attention when they are driving cars like that.

3. marlon308

marlon308 Karting

Sep 4, 2009
    NL
    Full Name:
    M.E. van der Meer
    I understand your arguments and partly share your opinion. But it feels like a paparazzi chasing a celebrity or royalty for a scandalous picture. I dislike the idea of a photographer selling pictures - even worse, people buying them - of somebody else's mourning, private or intimate non-public moments. Give it some time, I am sure the owner will come up with a complete story if he feels like it. Sure it was on the public road, a great car of vintage motoring significance, but I assume it brings emotion to the owners as well (not to speak of their personal well being and health). So, it's just a matter of interpretation.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    exactly what i was thinking.
    the people involved are fine and safe. now i want to know about car. and btw marlon, be careful what you assume about the posters in this thread - in particular me.

5. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Well the combination of a wet LMC ( Le Mans Classic) and GTO Tour will make panel beaters happy..but if my memory is correct there was also a collision during the previous French GTO celebration 10 years ago. May be was not noticeable...because the car was deemed less expensive !

6. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Ah, yes, I remember. It was the Whitten car (s/n 3413), I think? it was a minor bingle, I think a local did not give way to him.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I think this is an outstanding idea. This incident will be an important part of the car's provenance. Its condition now and subsequent likely restoration will of great interest to enthusiasts. I'm interested in seeing the type and extent of damage sustained.

Considering that the occupants have apparently survived and that the story has been picked up worldwide by the mainstream media (some taking the opportunity to poke fun at what some believe as the wretched excess of spending millions on a car) I can't imagine any real damage being done here by further documentation.

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I agree about the picture bit.

Lets see the pics. If not, then the Fchat must stop completely with posting pics of ANY wrecked car, unless the owner step forward and post the pics. We can't have it both ways.

A few weeks ago we had no problems posting a video and pics of a GTO plowing through a taxi in Singapore.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wonder whether the car was insured or self-insured by the owner. Also was it road registered? All of the recent photos of the car show a plate bearing its s/n.

10. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    +1

Ed

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    No. Shirley was hit in 3729GT. Left front damage.

12. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Oh, right. I knew it was one of the two. He had just bought it, IIRC.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    #88 zjpj, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #89 michael platzer, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Glad the injuries were not worse than they were! God speed for a good recovery

Re: the GTO, this is the only GTO I've seen in the flesh, and I saw it under very strange circumstances in Las Vegas 5-6 years ago. It was hidden under a cover in a corner at Symbollic Motorscars Vegas (while it was open).

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I guess Motion Product will be in charge of fixing it. They know what they do, so im sure the car will be back as good as it was before the accident.

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Many of these cars have suffered worse crash damage during their racing careers and they are better than ever now.

I'm glad that the owners and the other parties were not injured more seriously and wish them a speedy recovery.

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Depends on the definition of 'better' it would seem.
    Restoration is a tricky time consuming business that requires lots of skills and historic knowledge. Some cars are restored backwards to an earlier 'look' they previously had in their race history. Others simply don't get the restoration right and change the original design features simply by omission or lack of knowledge. Period pictures are very telling when you see how some cars have evolved after a 'restoration'.
    I can think of one 60's Ferrari that was originally built brand new with it's roof more than an inch too low on one side. That particular car rightly or wrongly was restored with the roof changed to even out the height correctly on all sides.
    Wasn't the blue GTO originally red?
    CH

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    GTO's are race cars. They have all suffered damage and they have been cobbled together using bits of other cars. I'm pretty sure that none of the surviving GTO's are entirely original.

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Objectively speaking, a rare vintage Ferrari is a celebrity car, no different to a human celebrity. In that sense it is public property when out in public. People ogle it, drool over it and want to see it.
    Owners of these cars, when taking them out in public know they are in the public domain and anything that happens while these cars are out and about is news.

I'm delighted no-one is seriously hurt, but beyond the news of the owners, the car is newsworthy in its own right. People, especially Ferrari afficianados, want to to know.

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Agreed

23. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the few that is pretty much as it was when it was last raced in the day is the McNeil 3647 but even that was crashed badly in 1962 and again in 1963.

24. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  25. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Very well said. Agree 100%. This what this Forum is about after all is it not?