250 GTO Restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 GTO Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Modificata, Jan 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Vintage, you are right as for us this is the equivalent of an Oscar nomination, hopefully we'll get the Oscar, Cheers Kev.

2. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Great posts all around.

Bravo!

3. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Team, After a great weeks work we are progressing well with the paint preparation of the 250 GTO. NEW PAGE ADDED !! Check progress on www.mototechnique.com Cheers to all, Kev

4. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Team, Check out the latest page www.mototechnique.com and witness our progress as we prep and paint this Icon. Cheers to all, Kindest regards Kev.

5. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i really enjoy the pictures and i LOVE the "on the road again" pic. GREAT !

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kevin, looks like you guys are have a blast. Keep up the great work. I was the kid who was visiting relatives in the UK and visited your shop last summer but you weren't in. Do you have a idea of when this project will be finished?

Best

Chris Dodds

7. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    New Page added, Was watching paint dry ever this interesting ??? Follow the painting progress www.mototechnique.com Enjoy, Cheers and kindest regards to all, Kev.

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Kev

The links on your site have stoped working after page 10, you've put one too many 5's in so the link reads as 2550gto_p11.htm

9. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Andrew, please be a sport and give it another go , it works OK from here. Cheers Kev.

10. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    #60 andrewg, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kev, sorry still doesnt work, real simple fix though, you need to modify the link to the next page on page 10, it currently reads "http://www.mototechnique.com/2550GTO_p11.htm" (note the extra 5) The problem will only show up when people read from the start and are clicking on the link at the bottom of each page. A fixed version of your page is in the Zip file in this post :D

So what colour is the car going to be?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    All fixed and working properly now Kev

12. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Andrew, cheers BIG time !!!! think I'll give up the IT and stick with Ferrari, Kev.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Might be a good idea as Ferrari is still spelt Ferarri (the link to the GTO restoration) on your very first page :D :D.

Looking good and many classic nutters are watching with interest!
    Pete

14. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    I have a couple of questions regarding the work itself.

Why does the unlucky young guy doing the stripping work seem to be working mostly without hand protection? Assuming the stripper is essentially the same as we use here in the States, it's an acid and burns like mad on the skin. Wish I had seen the technique of the plastic film over the stripper before I did my SII cabriolet - would have saved me some work.

Second, any particular reason you used gas welding on the body panels instead of TIG? Wouldn't the TIG have resulted in less heat distortion and followup hand hammering?

Just curious...

15. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Booth Guy, I note your humour but the young guy does not consider himself unlucky. He came here unskilled as a labourer and by dint of his hard work and dedication has a wonderfull carreer opportunity. Gloves are provided but can cause problems as the solvents in the stripper can penetrate and cause a green house effect which results in bad blistering to the skin. The stripper we used was not particulary noxious as we are only removing air dryed paint. We are very aware of health and safety issues and provide all necessary protective equipment as you will see on the web site.

We gas weld the alloy bodywork as it provides a mallable weld which does not split when it is hammered, distortion is not a problem as we have the skills to control it, the proud weld is dressed back into the surrounding alloy and the hammering of the welded area work hardens the anealed welded areas. The result is a joint which is flexible and apart from a discolaration is allmost invisible from both sides of the joint. For this type of work TIG / HELI arc welding is crude and brittle and prone to cracking after it is hammered / filed. ( My personal opinion ) We use TIG for fuel tanks and some welding where inner access is a problem. We gas weld, Mig weld, Tig weld and Arc weld as appropriate, all have their place and merits. Hope this answers your questions, Kindest regards Kev.

16. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    Hi Kev: I was just being funny, since I've chemically stripped a couple of cars and was empathizing with the amount of rugged work I know it to be. And clearly, a chance to do anything on a restoration this significant is a great opportunity right down to the guy that sweeps the place out at night. Thanks for the enlightening views on gas welding the alloy body panels. The quality of the fabrication on the patch panels looks superb. Thanks to you and the car's owner for the opportunity to look over your shoulders at this fascinating job. I especially liked seeing the lightening holes drilled in the front spring perch.

17. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Stunning new GTO photos on www.mototechnique.com . Follow the painting process and see it in colour...... it's the BIZ !!!!! Cheers to all, Kindest regards Kev.

18. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Woo hoo! My thread just got post of the month!

19. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Kev.

Great update (think I may have to come and be your aprentice for a few months :D), mind if I post a couple of the pics on here?

20. Steve Fabiano

Steve Fabiano Rookie

Jan 14, 2005
    I agree! The panels needing repair and/or replacement on SN 3527...should have been hand beaten panels to replicate as closely as possible...the original Scaglietti artisians body work!

Also, why didn't this car return to the Ferrari factory or at least have Factory involvement for its conservation/restoration? No dissrespect to Mr. O'Rourke! For I myself...had a GTO SN 3589 (Rosebud Racing) in my shop on Long Island, NY back in 1989...and even then the Ferrari Factory was more than willing to assist in ANY GTO restoration? And, although I Owned and Restored Ferrari's and had a master panel beater with prior GTO experience...I still directed my client to contact the Factory directly for their involvement! Unfortunately, our client was only in it for the money! And, as it turned out...SN 3589 was sold to a buyer in Europe? Who then (according to a car magazine article) was restored in a shop somewhere in Switzerland...with some kind of Ferrari Factory assistance? But, I regress!

We all want to show our skills in restoring these wonderfull cars...but, if we are truely Ferrari ENTHUSIAISTS! Then we ALL...as Owners and/or Restorers should seak out the Ferrari Factories assistance...to make certain these Historic cars are returned to there original glory...the way Mr. Ferrari and his crafstman orginally made them! Isn't authenticity the ultimate goal here!

21. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Wow Steve this is thought provoking stuff !!! Guess I got side tracked.

What do I do guys' post the new images and offend the purist ..... ( and I promise you these photos are unique and will blow the winter cobwebs out of your Tubis ) your thoughts very much appreciated, can we have a show of hands please ???, Stay low move fast. Kindest regards to all, Kev.

Incidentally the next batch of photos are taken by a professional snapper mate of mine ( ex Sunday Times etc ) whose credits run to Press snapper of the year, Royal snapper of the year, War snapper of the year who told me that photographing this car gave him more of a buzz than snapping 3 Presidents of the USA in the Oval office, 4 Prime ministers in Downing Street all the wars you can remember and of course Madonna and Brittany Spears etc etc etc............... Stand by for some serious photoghraphy Gents.

22. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Offend away Kev, anybody who thinks the factory has the skills to help is clearly delusional, if they can’t get me replacement panels or wing mirrors for a 400i what hope a 250 GTO

23. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Andrew, Multo Grazie for the first vote !!!

By way of reward I'll send you sneak preview photos first thing Monday, Stand by. Cheers Kev.

24. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Telaio: Great photos!. How long has the restoration been going on?.What an amazing project to be involved with.Thank you for sharing.

25. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Vintage, we started the project in September 2005 and the car will be at events for all to enjoy late spring , not bad going....cheers Kev.