250 LM at Auction - s/n 6045 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

250 LM at Auction - s/n 6045

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by davebuchner, Jun 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Very pity! But enjoy!

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    God these old cars are a pain in the butt and the opinions that go with them are as worthless to me as the cars...but I just love to jabb at the "experts"....

Bottom line the original car burnt to a crisp, the car being offered has a new frame, a new body and some of the original mechanical components on it, maybe we should run a carfax on it...bet it would come up as a total loss and frame damage and they would not recommend purchase...;)

But every chair has an arse for it and the car will sell for what it sells for, for me personally RM have tarnished themselves representing the vehicle the way they have..

3. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Is the estimate of 6045 in any connection with the sales catalogue's open issues? However, 6045 is an important Ferrari and some clarification is certainly of considerable interest before the car will be auctioned next week. It’s really a pity that David Moses is not able to answer. But maybe someone else - who perhaps knows the massive documentation file or even attended the detailed lecture and Q&A session in January - can kindly provide some additional information?

4. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #129 babci, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Putting aside all of the diversionary "NO PROOF" smoke from David Mo's flame statement's about me and Freshman. All that remains is that DM has never have presented one statement or fact that is documented and illustrated by anything other than his unsupported statements and second hand hearsay of the representations presented by the people who are trying to profit by sale of the car he has touted so vociferously.

Moving on to the various elements about the value or chassis content subjects of previous posts to this thread:

With regard to the relative bargain it may be according to DM's unsubstantiated remark of "it looks very good value in comparison to other estimates over the weekend." A car that has un determinable exact content of originality of the chassis, with a new body, no race history and with major fire then reconstruction history is IMO not at all a bargain at all but just so much damaged goods.

Illustrated support for the preceding statement: Since the official sales description in the on line digital RM catalogue is drawn from the vendors provided information (see page 9 Item 4 about Auction Accuracy in the on line RM digital catalouge for back up on this) about the car states: "The lightweight aluminum body had simply melted onto the frame of the car" if it is true, that the fire was hot enough to melt much of the body to the chassis it demonstrates my hypothesis regarding the potential for possible total chassis replacement during the earlier restorations and re restorations prior to the Classiche restoration does have some merit.

Looking to the estimate of 8 to 12 million in the catalogue. I do find it very odd that according to DMs posts about how much "massive" documentation supposedly exists that neither the consignors or the auction company thought it important, valuable or relevant enough to include any readable images of the most salient parts of the seminar's documentation about the originality of chassis content remains in the catalogue in order to prove and enhance the marketing desirability of the surviving reconstructed remains. Without the catalogue having done so raises the following questions that are still left unanswered: What does the period Vaccari repair invoice reflect? Does it describe in detail the repairs or state what tubes that were replaced by the original maker years ago and if so what do those details say. How much were the cost of the repairs? Was what David Mo saw the original Vaccari invoice or a photo copy that could have be altered? Was it in Italian? Was it a translation? Unfortunately DM did not seem to be able to offer any illustrated proof or to recall much other than generalities

Diving even deeper into chassis content question: The auction catalogue description states "While there, Ferrari also took the time to further improve the previously repaired damaged areas of the car’s chassis and bring it back to as-new condition" demonstrating that even more repairs to the chassis had to be undertaken during the Classiche process to make the chassis content certifiable to some unknown unstated criteria. What documentation of those chassis repairs done by Classiche exists? What does it say was replaced? Unanswered without official Classiche illustrative documentation just equals more undetermined chassis content controversy. One will never really know without making the trip to Monterey and trying to get a look at everything to see if the real answers are there and one is deemed worthy enough to see them.

Therefore IMHO the current estimate of 8 to 12 million is highly optimistic considering the above various issues.

Additionally what I want to make abundantly clear to all following this thread is that I do commend the efforts taken (even though they may appear to be motivated by the potential for profit for the parties involved) of combining all the bits of the two cars into one in order to produce one remaining entity whatever it is made up of. I think if one looks closely you will find I have stated previously (and sincerely meant) "I too hope it does well" and "good luck to the vendors."

My closing point to David Mo or whoever you may be is that none of your undocumented and unaccompanied by illustrated proof statements or continual sales campaigning for what a bargain 6045 might be or for whatever exists of the original chassis remains of 6045 is, in IMO have been more than adequately shown to be worthless when used for proving or determining the questions of what the real content amount of the remaining original chassis is if any at all or what those remains will sell for. Only the auction process will determine the ultimate value outcome. What I suggest to DM is to take the twist out of your knickers, draw a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the auction a few short days away when the final outcome of the drama will be determined.

5. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    This for sure! Interesting post and thank you!

The essential problem of such a Hybrid is in fact, that you are not able to identify the jam of used components. Everything looks really new and which components are new, car original or period original you will *never* find out.

And how should such a Hybrid – e.g. freshly rebuilt and certified from Classiche around an original gear knob - get judge in a Concourse compared to a correct and period original car? And would such an ‘officially’ certified car put now the relevant criterias for the Concourse and the judging of the other cars? …

6. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Not the first LM that had a hard life and was fully rebuilt and even certified..less than1/3 of the LM have a reasonable level of originality, very few combination of original and race, best race history is of course Le Mans winner, and most original is I guess the musee national de l automobile- Schlumpf collection one. None of them are available....

7. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Below, the car’s interesting history is tried to be put in some chronological order, the sales catalogue is quoted (“ … “) and some relating questions and remarks added:

“Isaacs had an accident in the car while driving on Sunset Boulevard …. Due to gasoline leaking … the car caught on fire … and the delicate, thin-gauge aluminum body was badly burnt”; pictures? What impact had the fire's heat to the *other* aluminium parts?

“Isaacs parted ways with 6045, and it was sold to Donald D. Simpson, an automobile dealer … in unrepaired condition”; pictures? Sales documentation?

“ … it was evident that the chassis damage was around the passenger-side fuel tank … interior were largely undamaged and intact … car was still rolling.” And: “The lightweight aluminum body had simply melted onto the frame of the car.” But how can a car still be a roller, after the body had melted over a damaged chassis and the suspensions?

sold to “Dr. Hamilton Kelly, who also owned 250 LM chassis 6023. Kelly only collected a handful of its parts from Kellogg and then left the car for some time in Kellogg’s storage.” Which parts exactly collected? Are these parts today with 6023? Any parts sold to Albert Obrist? If yes, which?

1974(?)
    “ … Kelly sent someone to collect the car, a few minor chassis tubes from behind the rear engine mounts were separated … These tubes, as well as the crucially all-important tube that had the chassis tag tacked onto it, were retained by Kellogg”. Which tubes exactly? What happened to these items and the original front chassis plate? Pictures of the finally collected chassis remains?

1974(?)
    “ … It is most likely that Kellogg had previously cut out the chassis tag tube to ease the engine removal when it was sold to Baumgard.” Most likely? What exactly happened to the “chassis tag tube”? And “… cut out to ease engine removal …” How does that make any sense? Never seen that on other LMs.

1974(?)
    “… travelled back to Italy … The 6045 number had been stamped on a front anti-roll bar mount in order to identify the frame at the time of import to Italy”. *Who* had stamped this number and why? And where exactly? Pictures?

1974(?)-1988(?)
    1. restauration: “Giorgio Schon, who finally began the car’s restoration.” When and what exactly began Schön to restore? Pictures? If yes, how do you know what kind of remains are really shown? Identification just upon the “stamped” number?

1974(?)-1988(?)
    “… chassis was later inspected by Florini Gaetano … and he confirmed that the chassis was indeed original”. What, why and where did he inspect? At Fulvio Visioli’s Visautoufficina/Visauto? If yes, what work was done from Visioli? Pictures? Florini’s confirmation in writing?

1974(?)-1988(?)
    “The chassis was subsequently sent to William Vaccari …” When? “Vaccari also determined that the chassis was genuine, original, and correct.” In writing? What work was exactly done? New chassis!? Pictures? This very William Vaccari (and Fulvio Visioli): http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/295503-message-mr-marcel-massini-2.html? (Especially post 40)? Note: In period everybody had to *firmly* determine working on originals, if he wanted to avoid jail and confiscation (... but nevertheless you could get confirmed and fabricated everything).

“6045 was sold in partially restored condition …” What was done and where did this restauration exactly stop? Pictures?

1988-1992
    Sold to Ulrich Guggisberg, who “commissioned Bachelli-Villas Carrozzeria Auto Sport, of Bastiglia, Italy, to construct a new body”. 1. New body? What chassis used? Why did the 2. restauration last another four years? What happened and what was exactly done?

2009 - 2010
    3. Restauration: “DK Engineering carried out this restoration. During this time, it is important to note that the 6045 number was found stamped on the front steering rack mount on the chassis, confirming the chassis’ identity and that it was the same item that was imported to Italy in the early ’80s”. Where was it exactly found? “…front anti-roll bar mount …” or “… front steering rack mount …”? Different numbers, different places? Pictures? Who stamped these numbers? What parts were missing and replaced? Source of the replacing parts?

“In order to acquire the original 6045 engine and any parts whatsoever that may have originated from 6045, the replica 250 LM that Freshman created was purchased by the current owners …” Why replica? It had the original engine, the original chassis tag and other original tubes and bits and pieces as well as the original body remains? Replica!?

2011-2013
    4. restauration: “A full strip and inspection was set about by the Classiche Department … the vital chassis number tube was removed from the replica and built back … Ferrari also took the time to further improve the previously repaired damaged areas of the car’s chassis and bring it back to as-new condition.” As-new condition? New chassis? Which period original parts were used except “the vital chassis number tube” New body again? Finally, was destroyed from *both* cars?

I stand to be corrected for the above and any additional information are much appreciated ...

8. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    A hard life of a hard used racing prototype is just fine and has not the slightest negative impact on "originality", if history is continuously documented ... 6045 (and some others) has no or only little racing history ...

5975 just driven in Swedish club races and is today without any "battle merits" after all these years (from around 1967/68) "dead" in the museum ...

9. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    Your welcome.

10. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    +1 Nice work.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think it is fair to say both previous versions of #0645 could be considered replicas. It would be a lengthy debate to work out which had more original parts but they both did ... but I'm definitely not going to try :).

Also when these sorts of cars burn, because the alloy body droops so early at a much lower heat that is typically the majority of the damage. An example is P412 #0854 which "burnt to the ground" at least once with no damage to mechanicals or chassis, apparently.

It is just a pity that bits of the chassis in this case were separated as otherwise #0645 would have a much simpler history ... if not an exciting one.
    Pete

12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    I enjoyed it ... the storyline is highly exciting and worth to study!

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    As an aside 0854 burn in SA in 1968 and was saved because allegedly the car was wearing a replica fiberglass body, that's what reports at the time mentioned.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is apparently correct, regarding the body #0854 was wearing, but my point was that these cars will look terrible after a fire that melts the bodywork but that does not necessarily mean the chassis and the rest were badly damaged. Alloy bodywork and fibre glass burnts/melts at a considerably lower temperature.
    Pete

15. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    Aluminum melts at 1221 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on the length of time the chassis was exposed to this and possibly higher temps will/would determine the amount of temper loss to to the connecting tube junction welds and the remaining integrity of structural ability for the chassis to safely resist the stresses imposed upon it from racing and hard use (long distance endurance racing over the rough surfaces of the tracks of the period) the car was originally designed for. Since what we do know is some unquantified amount (without documentation presented here so far) of the chassis was cut off in the day and the rest was damaged enough to require some unquantified amount of repair/replacement occurred (without documentation presented here again) in the day and then even more was repaired/replaced later at Classiche + not knowing what DK did when they went at it, IMO your statement of "I think it is fair to say both previous versions of #0645 could be considered replicas." reflects a far more realistic opinion and likely outcome of the restoration processes that occurred to the current remaining 6045 (RM Auction car) chassis and the rest of the car over the last 45+ years since the original fire.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #141 PSk, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    babci,

I'm definitely no expert but from my understanding at least one of the fuel tanks and the engine were salvaged after the accident and fire. This can be used to assume the fire did not get out of control and burn the car to the ground. Remember delicate only 1mm thick alloy skin ... and the aluminium engine survived. So we can again assume it did not get that hot, definitely not 660.3 degrees C/1221 degrees F as then #6045 would have ended right there and then.

Also I've read that the only reason the chassis was ever cut was to fit the chassis on a truck or trailer to take it home. Now I am not going to try and prove that so I'm happy to be considered wrong here :).

Also many 250LM's/P3's/P412's/etc. burnt during their racing career and continued happily racing after the body was fixed, and other repairs were made. New chassis' were not required.
    Pete

17. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #142 michael platzer, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Stunning looking cars ... love them.
    Pete

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #144 PSk, Aug 12, 2014
    Interesting that #6053 had its chassis scrapped. Does anybody know why? Also has lost its original engine ... And apparently #6053's chassis ended up in #6167! ... but now #6167 now has new chassis and body.

Not trying to make #6045 look better, was actually looking for reference to other LM's that have burnt ...

EDIT: found it #5149 burnt twice!: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141925623-post7461.html. 250P #0812 burnt too ... I do not believe replacement chassis' were required ??
    Pete

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very nice photos. You also have a very beautiful child.
    Congratulations.

21. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Agreed, but first it would be nice to know, what chassis was built up in the 1. and 2. restauration. I visited around 1990/91 Visautofficina with Al Guggisberg and saw a car with a new chassis (and body). Of course, Classiche finally produced a wonderful looking car, but what is it and what chassis does it really have? What means "as-new", after being burnt, melted and heavily butchered?

22. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #147 babci, Aug 12, 2014
    Pete,
    Since there has been no definitive documentation presented here, in the RM catalouge or anywhere else that I have been able to find about what exact areas were exposed to the 1221 degree heat necessary to have melted whatever parts of the body that did melt or how long the fire burned for or for what exact sections of the chassis were/have been replaced, cut off etc. (let alone no knowing what areas were quench hardened stressed when subjected to the water or what ever fluids were used to put out the fire) by the various hands that have had at it over the years it is IMHO just pure speculation as to what is left of the original and how safe it really is. So yes what remains COULD largely(what percentage who knows) be made up of original remains but also yes it COULD have been replaced (for what ever reasons:technical or persevering the appearance of historical originality for $ gain etc) in total. One will never know for sure. In either case it is what it is and nice to have whatever it is still around for people to enjoy. IMHO it is just not worth anywhere near the RM auction catalogue estimate of 8-12 Million but we shall see in just a few days. Poll for the over under anyone?

23. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #148 babci, Aug 12, 2014
    To add to the equation: Since the fuel tanks are saddled very closely and run parallel to the rear upper frame rails (which support and absorb the loads for the upper suspension pickups) and lower main frame rails which support and absorb the loads for the engine mounts and lower suspension mounts + all the surrounding chassis substructure the question is: How bad was the damage to these areas from the impact that was bad enough to rupture a fuel tank along with the accompanying heat damage from the fire and what were the resulting chassis replacement/repairs necessary? Current answer unknown and not presently documented by the available information from the RM catalouge or online that I could locate.

24. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    with respect to some/several physical truths and realities:

The frame utilized in the "P" car series of 0810, 0812, 0814 and 0816 was done so with a keen eye on the subsequent "GT" run of cars(the "LM") based on the clearly and obvious over building of the frame in terms of weight, girth, and overall strength/stoutness...This all according to first hand observations of: John Surtees-an ex-Team driver, in numerous events, in a variety of "P" car iterations and VINs of this type....he said this to us first hand-so NOT hear say or speculation.

That said, and since I past and presently maintain versions of both models, I can affirm that the frames are similar to a degree of 90+%...

What is worth noting here-as it applies to this thread is this: My own personal, physical observations of a difference between the two: the cross frame tube support which has the number tag stamped(ONLY place on the car I might add), is a WELDED cross piece in the "LM,"-same location on P-cars,
    HOWEVER, it is a BOLTED in cross support tube in the "P" version chassis.

Not at all surprising to me as one is a WORKS/TEAM car, and the other is, essentially, a "customer/retail" version-not necessarily even a "Concessionaire" version...but a purpose built racing car none the less-forget the dual purpose argument BS, because that's what it is BS-I TRIED to drive an LM to school in Cambridge in the early 1970s and said: forget it!
    This when these were 10,000 dollar, beat up, old racing cars with shag rugs in them and 8-tracks....

I digress...what I interject here with, is: To the BEST of my memory, and to a relative degree of certainty, I think that that BOTH an LM-and, I think it was this one- AND "P"-car 0810, were owned at the SAME time, by the same fellow, in the greater Los Angeles area-I MIGHT BE WRONG HERE. but i doubt it...so, lets for a second, assume I'm correct, or, just plain close: as I have SOME first hand participation in this odyssey....

I spoke with a guy in the recent past who was with him on a Ferrari club drive when the LM got put in to a ravine/ditch/culvert...apparently, the P had suffered similar ungracious incursions into the loose stuff as well...
    This recollection included anecdotal stories about the ways in which many did their own work-as these cars had no where near the value they would in only 10-12 yrs...that would be early to mid 1980s..far from the first BIG money pig pile.

IMO(!)--If I owned a P-car of this type AND an LM, the similarities would be screaming at me, thus, in the interest of drive line extraction ease: why not remove the cross piece JUST LIKE THE P?
    Whats the big deal(IN the prism of 1970-1975) repairs? Subsequent use of this LM engine-which is a tipo 210-was it's insertion into a GTO (owned, as I recall, by Stu Baumgard...I know, as: as I was on a plane in early to mid-1978(???) with a suitcase full of cash, on my way to buy it, when a guy from TX bought it over the phone(Walker I think), I was told go home, he paid 20,000(!!) more, SIGHT UNSEEN for a car with the wrong engine-so I was told at the time(I wanted it for exactly this reason: so as to go vintage racing!), which was INSANE money in that era, to all concerned, in THOSE days....
    think of the prism....

THIS car has some damage(to me-no big deal), fire damage AND crash damage(a lot of them do...), sell the motor/drive line, cut the tube out for a drive line ease of pull, get the money from Stu for motor(these guys all knew each other it turns out-small fraternity) and sell the rest for whatever....(FWIW: a crated GTO motor with carbs and distributors in a crate, with NO numbers on the pad, was shopped to me at $5000.00 in this era, which we said was ridiculous, as I bought a set of 38DCNs with mag manifolds in Bay Area for $750.00, same carbs today... are an easy 100-150K)..perspective is important here...
    these were NOT 10,000 cars at the time, they were much less, so... sans motor, gearbox, fire, crash, why is ANYBODY surprised that only a few items were picked out and the hulk left for dead to rot? In MOST cases, the parts were worth more than the car-most motor jobs were more than the guy paid for the car-that's why so many were parked in garages and forgotten.....

If you have not ever pulled a drive line from an LM or a P-Car, be careful before providing opinions on relative ease, or degree of difficulty, especially in a damaged car-I suspect there are fewer than 10 readers who are reading this, who ACTUALLY have said experience...these are not simple or easy cars-especially heavily raced AND modded cars(0810 was the -"lets try this" version-first car with a 163/c motor, for example)

since a substantial amount of arguments presented in these forums are attributed to historical citings of ASSUMED historical fact, from a website operated in the ether, while I find impressive its abilities(?) to run down stuff in Europe as to historical participation, and placings, crashes, etc in Europe/On the Continent...
    It is with great umbrage I take as to the assumptions and the credibility with respect to the similar "verification" of some of the near comic book historical recreations of cars which have spent DECADES here in North America, in order to fit god knows whose, or what agenda...when I can assure you that said ether based site can't possibly have talked or verified ownership. as many are dead, missing, hiding, in Federal Prison, or, Federal witsec!

Specifically, the addressing of ownership and provenance issues...the amount of gaping holes, names removed, and or never appearing as owners, are a matter of "undocumented historical FACT"....
    What this oxymoron means is simply that: the historical prism with which we always insist must be used when examining 40, 50, 60 yr old racing cars, must ALSO be viewed within the contexts of cultural indicies as well.
    For example:
    Unless you are 60yrs or older, you CAN'T possibly understand the world of the 1960s and 1970s...you really and truly had to be there....this includes most homes didn't have color TV, no cell phones, PC computers, satellites, e-mail, almost nobody had CREDIT CARDS, Marlboro cigarettes were 30-35 cents a pack, and ethyl gas was 28 cents a gallon, a 6 pack of Budweiser was a dollar or LESS...the average split level 4 bedroom home 10-25 miles from the epicenter of major, metro areas(Boston, SFO, LA for example)was 14-28,000 USD....
    cash, CASH CASH wasn't as uncommon as it is today, as the cocaine industry wouldn't explode onto the American horizon until the mid to LATE 1970s...The "dope dealing" money wasn't yet in this game....there wasn't any dope dealing then as it exits in today's society...
    But when it did....EVERYBODY looked the other way, and took the profits, and YES, it was that pervasive, despite memories of people not in touch with the realities of FED interest rates over 18% during the Carter Administration. This decade spanned everything from Operation Fullback(???)the saturation carpet bombing of the NVA, around the clock, using B-52s....to the 4th and last super Bowl of the Pittsburgh Steelers, marking the Election of Reagan with the Iran Hostages still being held-following a disastrous patchwork rescue attempt(giving birth to the 75th Regiment at Ft. Benning today, as well as a host of socomm stuff), giving rise to a Military rebuild unseen since the dawn of the cold war.
    And the 80s were off and running....again I digress...
    There are many "famous" tier A-, to B- cars which I KNOW have severe omissions of ownership as I was-in some cases the owner! Or my frieid was, or so on and so forth...Nobody titled-OR, God forbid-registered these cars-almost NONE were insured,
    we put a plate on it and drove it. In the parts of the country where I lived, even at 90 miles an hour, NO local cop would EVER stop, ANYBODY, driving a car like THIS, for likely fear for his job-it was a different time... The sales were on the backs of cocktail napkins, in a number of cases...not all, but plenty were...thus, NUMEROUS owners have gone un noted-and in some cases this has been by design...

While still peering through this prism, consider the FACT that probably 65%, or so, of ALL "P" cars don't have their "original frames"-either by factory or concessionaire required replacement due to RACING mishaps, and I am not certain that ANY had or have their "original" bodies...once alloy stopped being used, clams were shot after each event
    These were WORKS cars, built to win, and put out to win-NOTHING else mattered, none of these arguments really matter when viewed through THIS prism's refractory index...
    people banging the drum of virginal integrity and historical virtue simply have little or NO appreciation for the astounding advances in speed from 1957 to 1967-which meant that rudimentary laws of nature shall impart ugly reality in startlingly more spectacular fashion than the results from "shunts"
    One rapidly graduates from re-skinning of a nose, to a fatal testing crash, and "writing" the car off....with frames being cut up and used as spare subsections so others can live on...
    My BEST example of this is to tell all proponents of the contrary position to view the site which carefully follows the applications and numbering for the LH version 917s up through...the 36th or so car built...THIS a is mortal reality for late 60s and early 70s racing cars-which started in earnest-IMO-with the Ford Cobra Daytona COUPE incursion into the fray...this is when it all changed to "Factory" racing....
    ....and the true golden era passed , essentially, unnoticed into history

This car-like MOST LMs-lived a HARD life, and most have "sketchy" and checkered histories as a result. In most cases of virginal, unmolested cars, these cases USUALLY mean it has little to no racing history in period, or was owned as a "cool" street car by an "rich guy" which usually ended up in a major modification version for street, and or suffered a serious crash as most simply don't have the skills to drive such a car on the streets....
    This car-despite the "storied" past- was a car I looked at a couple of times when it was substantially cheaper than other LMs-viewed by me in the flesh-and I recommended to buy it AND the other claiming the VIN, and converge all original stuff into a 90% whole car...body not included as that's NOT a factor in my book-a bonus if original, which one will pay for-but NOT a deal maker or breaker...its a financial consideration-NOT an authenticity issue....it would've made a great vintage racer...! But, at the time, the cost to benefit ratio vs. paying up for a stud, just didn't quite pencil...another case of stepping over a C note to pick up a fin, as the old saying goes....At the end of the day...
    it's not the BEST LM in existence-and they are not shopping it as such- nor is it the worst-there are some real scabs in this litter....but what you need to think is along the lines of this:
    What Ferrari RACING car with 12 cylinders-that doesn't drive like an ox cart from the early 1950-can you buy for 10 million bucks or less?????

Alloy SWBs? are you serious? I'll tak every real car you have....
    SEFACS? LOL....
    Forget good 512S/Ms...that ship has sailed-I said good ones...
    ZERO "P-cars" perhaps 6-8 cars changed hands in last 25 years...and they aren't talking...
    more than a few LMs are casually being shopped at almost 20....
    GTB/c...it seems that that ship also has sailed.....
    alloy Californias... been over 10M for years now, and there are only 5-6 of those anyways
    What's left?
    Remember: I said 12 cylinders....so no DINO Sps-but they aren't "cheap" either

So, what is there to buy that's interesting?
    If "great" 4-cyl Lampredi race cars are in the 6-8 range-500TRCs, 857s, 860M...etc
    What in the world makes anybody think that this car isn't-by real world supply demand default-an 8-12million car?
    Drama OUGHT to account for some sort of a discounted valuation, but in this market, who knows...what else is there in this class of FERRARI COMPETITION merchandise?
    I exclude ALL big Lampredi 12s, TdFs, and all other early, inside plug, houdaille shocked cars...
    All GTOs and TRs been over 30M for SOME time....so why is this thing so expensive?
    ITS AN LM with A BOOK, it runs good and looks nice, and its been blessed-FWIW....

My GOD, I am now "the old guy"....

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very good question.

It is interesting when I went through Barchetta.cc last night looking at all the 250LM's "documented" history that some have had horrid lives of confusion, etc.

In the end, just as with this car, if the pieces had not been separated this (#6045) car instead of being such a storied car would be a car that had an accident and was repaired and now restored by Ferrari Classiche ... but that did not happen.
    Pete