250 or 375mm? | FerrariChat

250 or 375mm?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ferraripete, Nov 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

years ago my father lived in caraccas venezuela. at 19 yrs old, he and his brother purschased a what he thought to be a 375 mm coupe that was a silver blue color. the car had rear fender vent like details that may have been to help for tire clearance and a really cool looking roof vent that opened up by the top of the rear window.

my dad and his brother purchased the car from a local t.v. personality that raced it some. my dad and his brother also wanted to race it locally and eventually blew the engine and replaced it w/ a 327 corvette engine.

when they grew tired of the car, it sold to an american that would have bought it and shipped it back to the states. i need to talk to my father to get more details but the sale may have occured in or around 1963.

im curious if we might be able to chhronicle the history and give the current owner history that he may be missing.

the color may be a feature that may help.

i hope to hear from you all.

pcb

2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    did you have the serial number, or anything else picture...
    only color and model must be long to find details.

3. ferraripete

christian,

i have 1 picture of the car from the rear with my dad in it. i was not certain of how many light blue mm's were in caracas in the early sixties w/ 327 vette engines.

i will try to get the picture from my father this weekend and put it on line.
    steve barney saw the pcture some years ago and his comments were..."that is an important ferrari." he did not know any further details.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Possible candidates (not confirmed in that location) are:

375 MM PF Berlinetta 0378AM, metallic blue/beige

375 MM PF Berlinetta 0380AM (acquired Chevy engine at some point, in US as of 1964)

250 MM PF Berlinetta 0356MM, metallic blue/blue (reportedly stolen in Naples circa 1963 and never recovered)

5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thanks in advance for the picture !!

As I always say : "no picture, no s/n" !!!

6. ferraripete

wayne, very nice. the car was purchased by my father from reni otolina (local t.v. personality). my father will try to scan the picture in this weekend and post it.

the 1964 chevy powered car might very well be it as the car was never stolen and i suspect there were not many of those blue 375mm cars floating around.

does reni otolina as the prior owner to my father help?

7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #7 Aardy, Nov 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    A Google search on "Renny Ottolina Ferrari" (double t) brings up a whole bunch of hits.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, but no. A picture would definitley help as there are minor cosmetic differences between the three cars that I listed.

10. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I wonder if "our" car is not 1377GT in definitive !! (250 GT berlinetta interim)

11. ferraripete

do you have a pic you could post?

i will recognize it instantly if you can....i'm looking at the google search now.

this is interesting...thank you for your interest and help.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #12 Miltonian, Nov 18, 2005
    The tail of a 375MM looks like this. It has the vent in the roof, and the "tire clearance" panel on the rear fenders. Rear windows could be either wraparound or flat (sometimes on the same car).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Don't worry, 1377GT is NOT the car you're talking about!

14. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #14 Aardy, Nov 18, 2005
  15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Hey Guys !! I'm joking !!!!!

16. ferraripete

my father just called me and was interested if we have found the current whereabouts of his old car...he mentioned it was a right hand drive.

17. ferraripete

this is indeed the style but the roof vent on my dads was a bit different. the roof vent is like a low profile reverse scoop that seemed to be about 10 inches wide and about 2 inches tall an opening. it was not the type that could be opened or closed. it was a fixed vent that was designed into the roof contours

18. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Peter, perhaps you assist me in tracking another Caracas car?

I am trying to track the history of my 1954 300sl Gullwing (chassis no. 198.0404500068). Various records reveal that the car was sold to Aldo Palenzona in Caracas in 1955. The Consignee is shown as Zingg. The car was (and remains) silver with a blue leather interior.

Do you have any knowledge of this car or familiarity with any of these names? Any assitance would be most helpful.

Thanks!

19. ferraripete

i spoke w/ my father this evening when things were a little less hectic.

some clarification...

the renny ottolina car was not a 375 but a testa rossa. he has records of the tr he will go over with me tomorrow when we get together for coffee.

the blue car he told me actually had a hot rod corvette engine that was 383 cu. my dad and his brother sold that car for what he said to his recollection was just shy of $8k. he said the new owner handed them the check w/ sweaty plams.

i am excited about learning the details of his ferrari purchases and the sale as well. my father has owned some tremendous cars in his life time and did a bunch of racing in south america and then held scca national, and imsa licenses in the states. i have a cool picture of him racing a volvo 122s at sebring in 70 or 71 getting passed by a 917 in wyer colors!! a cool old photo. thank you all for your help thus far...i bet we will learn more about the 375 and where she currently resides!

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #20 El Wayne, Nov 18, 2005
  21. ferraripete

wayne...wow! i will have all the notes tomorrow. even the tr history will be a nice addition to fill in some historical blanks. as i said ottolina was not the owner of the 375 however. you sent me information on 0380am...it says that car was destroyed! are there any pictures of the car prior to its' demise?

could it have had that fixed roof vent i was speaking off?

22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    another candidate could be 0318AM...

23. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr

Ferraripete,

Try to have this picture, and we tried togheter to find which car is.
    if Wayne join us to looking for this car it will be better.
    Christian

24. ferraripete

ok...had coffee w/ my dad this morning. we also spoke to my uncle bobby in caracas so that they could both agree to the cars history.

here is what i have to begin the sorting process...

there were 3 cars they owned while my dad lived in caracas...

car 1...1954/ 375 mm blue w/ black rhd 283 cu corvette engine. the engine was in the car when purchasedfrom max charlette. my dad and his brother Arpad and Boton Brinzey in caracas. the car was then sold to sanchez vega...they thought they sold it for a little over $7000 usd. owned by arpad and boton but sold...that was the first ferrari they bought together.

car 2...57 tr v-12 owned by gallia (a well known local ferrari mechanic) and raced by rodrigo borres. Galia traded the car to my dad and uncle bobby for a 68 camaro w/ 4 webers and some really special induction manifold...even trade!
    they ended up selling the car to fernando baiz.

car 3...57 tr 4 cyl (my dad says was a screamer) owned by felix barron and raced by ola rodriga. durring the time when my da and uncle bobby got this one, it was an non-competitive race car that nobody wanted. they traded even for a decent wood boat w/ an evinrude 100hp outboard.

they had no recollection of s/n's but remember the cars and how they ran and remembered the crazy details of the purschases.

my father's history is interesting as he grew up in a very, very wealthy family in hungry and the family was forced to leave when his father (a high ranking military man) would not join the nazis. they left it all to start again in caracas. my fathers father was always a car person so it has passed down to his children...and wow, it seemed there were lots of cool cars being bought , tinkered with and sold by the brothers brinzey!

if we can find out the s/n's of these cars, it might be nice to see if we can help with filling in the historical blanks as the current owners...wherever they are, have never contacted my dad and uncle bobby. on the other hand, both my dad and uncle would love to know if these cars still exist.

please excuse the spelling of any names. i hope i related the information correctly.

thank you for you help.

pcb

25. ferraripete

found it! this is the car that my dad and uncle bobby traded for the 68 camaro w/ webers!

s/n 0758tr

the history reads like my dad reflected on it this morning!!! very nice.

who is the historian that my dad and my uncle need to speak to? gerald rousch?

i think the even trade for a camero make a neat addition to the cars history.

my dad said that nobody wanted this car as it was traded to them during the times when the fast cars were cobras!

one down and 2 to go.