250 PF Coupe ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Art,

Funnily enough most of my cars are/were LHD (my 250 GTE was and my Smart car is) so I am plenty use to it. Doesn't really matter in the UK these days anyways because overtaking is a seldom seen, or used, maneouvre. Cameras and volume of traffic see to that.

Colorado Grand...not this year sadly !

Darren.

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Kare,

From the history sheets I've seen, for interior, most say "pelle e plastico" and some say "tutta pelle" (excuse my Italian). I assume tutta pelle means all leather, mine fit in this category, even the back window shelf was leather.

john

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    There is a register, but it is not online. Curtis Vandenberg (Ohio) has owned several/many PF Coupes over the years and, at least 6 years ago when I last spoke w/ him, kept a register. His guess on PF Coupes remaining as PFs (and not 250 replicas) was about half of the 353.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I guess pretty/ugly, desireable/undesirable is relative to people's taste developement in a window of time.

People are paying top dollars for 1950's kitchen appliances and spend a bundle on restoring them. Ten years ago these same appliances were ugly junk.

In 1989 a Daytona fetched $700k, while a 410 Superamerica didn't even get a chance in the spotlight. Where are these cars today in the pecking order?

john

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    A Daytona is today US$ 200 K, a 410 SA is US$ 800 to 900 K. It's a matter of rarity/numbers built. Custom coachbuilt is in high demand.
    Marcel Massini

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I came close to buying this car when Garry had it. I think it was maybe 2001/2002?

He wanted $60K with the tool kit and $50k without the tool kit. Very cool car, even with the house brush paint job.

If anybody wants more info on the car, I suggest that you contact the Evil Elf who dines on Toasted Ponies. He can tell you the whole story.

Dale

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Marcel,

I think John V.'s point is that whatever happens to be, as Keith Martin puts it, 'the flavor of the month', is what is expensive. In '89 the millionare specials (SA, SF, etc) were not as desireable as Daytonas to the majority of those buying Ferraris. As a result, the prices were inverse of what they are now.

Regards,

Art S.

8. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I am amazed that only about one-half of the original 353 are left intact as PF coupes, seems a shape that so many are gone. I am quite curious about the cars with vinyl coverings. Mine only has leather, including the gearbox tunnel, rear window ledge, and floor of the trunk (er, boot). Where was the vinyl applied? Mine also has a black dashboard cover and it appears to be leather, despite the light blue leather on everything else.

I would be keen to see the 250 PF coupe register, particularly to see if there are any others near me in Oregon. How would I find this fellow Curtis Vandenberg who has started a register?

I happen to think that this style is quite attractive (maybe, just my bias), despite it not being of the category of my favorite style, the GTO, or the Lusso or TDF. But, I saw one in red at Monterey and it does not suit the style very well. More reserved colors like the grey, silver, blue, white, etc look much more appropriate. The analogy to the Continental Mark II or the first edition notchback Mustang seem appropriate.

I am also curious about the dealer's add listing the car as a Pinin Farina coupe, i.e., two words. I had the impression that he merged the two names into Pininfarina before the 1960s era. Was this a type by the dealer or is it correct for this car? Mine, s.n. 1747 (Dec of 1960) has the name as one word.
    Ed Long

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ed,

Do you want me to post the picture of your car here?

Regards,

Art S.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My car 1471 is completly original. The vinyl was used on the door panels and the rear deck. Everything else is leather except the headliner. The dash appears to be leather.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ed - i flipped thru my PF Coupe file last night and was chagrined to see that I did not have Curt's number written down. My memory says that he lives in Ohio. Maybe someone else here can PM the # to you. He's a great guy.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #37 John Vardanian, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kurt Vandenberg is in Eaton Rapids, Michigan. Phone 517-663-8452

BTW, his old PF coupe 0947GT was in the Bonhams listing for Gstaad '05.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Trennery and Sheehan just bought the car last week for $100K-115K from Tony Nicosia, in Costa Mesa who had it on consignment. I use to own this car, for exactly 1 hour. Good car, grade B restoration. I clearly didn't see this car being worth $110K ish and I certainly do not see it at $150K. Nice to want. Very little for dealers to buy, gotta keep trying.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Damn Tom, go to bed!

Dale

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0947 GT is currently owned by a private Swiss individual.
    Marcel Massini

16. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    'm pleased to say that I sold 0947 to Curt, and got him started in the F-car game. That car was pretty ratty then; he's done a good job with it, and had a lot of fun. Makes me happy.

Although in the old days many folks thought the PFs were too conservative, I always liked them (had 7), and I'm glad to see that they are "coming back".

17. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ed - 7 PF's....bravo.

Does anyone by chance have a photo of an original PF fuse box cover ?

Thanks.

18. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    DJ:
    I can take a picture of mine tomorrow, be glad to do so, but I have no idea how to relay it to you. Some advice would be appreciated.

Ed Long

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed,

Did 0947GT always have fender flairs?

john

20. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ed,

Kind offer. Thank you.

Could you perhaps send it to my email address : [email protected]

Darren.

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #46 ArtS, Dec 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Don't know about flares; they were there when I had it. Cheers

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Art,

What color is Ed's car? Looks kind of bluish gray. Nice color.

john

24. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Darren:
    The photo of the fuse panel cover is on the way, emailed late Friday. Let me know if it is not satisfactory and I shall try again.
    Ed Long

John:
    My car is a dark gray, not a bluish gray. Accoring to Kerry Chesbro, it is listed as Grigio Scuro with a light blue leather interior, Plastico e Pelle Blu. The dash cover is black.
    Ed Long

25. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Ed,

It's a nice color. It must be a nice combination with the light blue iinterior. Can you post a picture of the interior? Thanks.

john