250 PF Coupe ... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nothing was typed. It is handwritten. A very detailed list by serial number, with chassis and engine types, names of first owners and/or names of the dealer.
    Marcel Massini

2. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Marcel,

It is often quoted that "about 50%" of the 353 factory produced cars still exist in PF format (as in not crashed, lost or rebodied). Do you have any feel as to the accuracy of the 50% ? Or do you have an exact number in your mindas to how many are left in a mostly original state.

Many thanks in advance.

Darren.

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My feeling is that approx. 200 are still around, may be a few more. It is easy to state "about 50%........." etc.
    Marcel Massini

4. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Having owned 1463GT for nearly 20 years, and reading most books on Ferraris in general, I am always surprised by the lack of coverage given to the 250 GT PF Coupe model when writing about the GT cars in general.

The information & impact of this model on the history of Ferrari vehicle production seems to be glossed over, in my opinion. They are sandwiched between, and for some reason eclipsed by, the Boano and the 250 GTE. I feel that the PF Coupe established The Ferrari marque as a production vehicle, as up until they they were seen as "one-off" cars and in no way available as a production model. Do writers of Ferrari history not realise how important this model was in launching Ferrari onto the international market, or am I mistaken in my thinking?

Thank you all for your valuable information and input - I look forward to your learned consideration on this question.

Les

5. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Great to see recent (colour) pics of the Bertil car. Thanks.

6. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Hi Marcel,

What year and where were the pictures of 0853GT and 1705GT taken? Thanks very much for sharing.

-Jarrett

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think 250 Europa/GT Europa, "Boano"/"Ellena", Pinin Farina Coupe and GT/E are equally important steps on the way from one-off production into series production and finally mass production, what Ferrari is today. Best wishes, Kare

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I like to think of them as the "missing link" between the Boano cars and the GTE and 330 America. A two place Ferrari that seems to have been completely forgotten or overlooked in many of the books. I have one book that shows a Boano car and labels it as the PF Coupe. As Sheehan once told me, if you ever take your car to a show be prepared for no one knowing what in the hell it is.

9. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Dear Kare,

Could you please e-mail me any copies of any material pertaining to my car? I would be glad to pay you as I am trying to build a history from day 1 of my car. Incidentally, I will be posting current photos of my car as soon as I can. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards, Leslie.

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    That is precisely why we love our PF coupe. The praises are fewer but certainly noteworthy.

john

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Does anyone know about the whereabouts of the Roussel 250 GT (0841GT)?

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Wasn't a transcription of this extensive handwritten of all the PF Coupes published in the FML (over a couple of issues) in the past several years?

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Personally, I would rather have any of these 250s than a modern Ferrari.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No, that's not the same list.
    Marcel Massini

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    2005, Scandinavia.
    Marcel Massini

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    If I remember correctly, was the list in FML actually from Pininfarina w/ the original exterior/interior colors, PF build no. and names of first owners? Your list, Marcel, is a Ferrari factory list?

17. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    #93 Ed_Long, Jan 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To Marcell: My records show that my PF coupe, s.n. 1747, was completed March 23, 1960 and sold to a man by the name of Alfredo Honneger in Bergamo (I assume, Italy). I have the initial service records with his name on them, but not the sales receipt. Gerald Roush sent me a list from Pininfarina of the bodies they produced. It shows my car as being painted with grigio scuro MM 13720, but penciled below it is the number 13420 and a question mark. Would there be any way to determine which is correct?

Attached is a photo of 1747 along with its stablemate at the time, Boano, s.n. 581 which I sold to a Major in the US Air Force in Tacoma, Washington in 1982. I have no idea where it is now.

Ed Long
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Those period photographs are excellent!

The 250 PF really is a gorgeous little car, and for the life of me, I cannot work out why it has been overlooked for so long.

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #95 John Vardanian, Jan 9, 2006
    Ed,

I like the color of your car. Here's another car in the same color--- 1105GT.

I have not seen tail lights like that on a Boano. Was that a modification?

john

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #96 Miltonian, Jan 9, 2006
    Here's a picture I took at Seattle International Raceway in August 1971. I'm afraid I don't have any notes to help identify it. I would have been 18 years old at the time, and I would have wet my pants to know that I would own a Ferrari someday.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Yes, a Ferrari factory list. Not a PF list.
    Marcel Massini

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1747 GT: Yes, Alfredo Honegger (note spelling) is also what the factory listing says. Bergamo, Italy, is correct. Grigio Scuro MM 13420 is correct (MM = Max Meyer), not 13470.

Boano 0581 GT was sold new to Guido Settegassi in Florence, last I heard of was with Robert Passmore in USA.
    Marcel Massini

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #100 Marcel Massini, Jan 10, 2006