250 PF Coupe ... | Page 68 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for sharing.
    Perhaps later, when you’ve had a chance to get better acquainted and comfortable with her, take her for an extended, few hour (or longer) drive on some scenic back roads outside the city and maybe share about that experience also ?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why? this is what makes fun

3. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    Nice :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you think the wandering at speed might be related to tires, or some stuff being a bit worn out in the front end? Or are they all like that?

NYC Fred likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    modern tires and a good alignment will correct assuming everything else is in order. after all, these are built on TDF chassis’s.

NYC Fred and amerikalei like this.
  6. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I fully understand taking to these things gradually, especially if the car has sat for a while, or is a new build. One thing to remember, after you've sussed out the tires are current, and good, is that high speed romps with the windows rolled down can lead to you being suddenly, and unexpectedly devoured by the headliner! My first burst of top end speed resulted with my headliner suddenly failing, and covering me like I was being eaten by a giant marshmellow! I now cruise the freeways with the windows raised.

7. earthandsea

earthandsea Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    SF bay area
    I used to have a SI PF coupe on the Michelin tires like yours. The handling was pretty good, I thought. Now I have a SII PF coupe on Pirelli CA67 175HR400. I use the car mostly on twisty roads in the hills. The handling is quite good and very predictable. Both cars have Houdaille lever shocks. Make sure the shocks work properly. They may need oil. Check alignment, of course, and inspect all suspension and steering joints to verify condition. Check steering box play vs. tightness. Steering box adjustment is very sensitive balance of play on center vs. accuracy and tightness. Check this on the ground, and on jack stands. Box uses a heavy oil and requires a good seal at the bottom of box. The worm and peg can wear out. New replacement worm and peg sets are available. Also check idler arm bearings for play/tightness. The car should handle well. I do not go fast, so not sure about high speeds.

MiuraP400, donv, TTR and 1 other person like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hah !
    This ^^ just reminded me of an incident over 35 years ago, when I and a girlfriend at the time were helping a friend mine to deliver a POS ‘57 Cadillac from Riverside to Long Beach (to be shipped to Europe) during am rush hour.
    I was in a pickup truck, in front of the Caddy, which my girlfriend was driving (she insisted wanting to drive it rather than the pickup), when the hood of the Caddy suddenly/unexpectedly just flew open and bent itself backwards over the roof and windshield at about 50-60 MPH.
    Fortunately, she managed to stay calm and carefully slow down, merge from #2 lane to the right and off to the side of the road without causing any accidents.
    Moments later, after I had forced the hood back to its intended position and tied it down with some straps, she decided she wanted to drive the pickup instead rest of the way …

John Vardanian likes this.
  9. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine did that

cheers Jim

10. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    I there a registry? ( beyond barchetta cc )

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The thread starter, Darren, has a registry. But I'm not sure if it's still active.

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    readplays likes this.
  14. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Supposed to be the last Series I car. It's a very nice and original specimen, from the few pictures I've seen.

john

readplays and JSinNOLA like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  16. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    audi_328 and ivo73 like this.
  17. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I truly love these cars and as a mechanic of 46 years believe they do everything the seven figure cars do. Only regret not buying one when they sold for $8k.

jsa330 and amerikalei like this.
  18. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    The widow of a close friend of my father's who passed recently always used to joke with me about when my dad offered to sell her husband both 1493 and the SWB comp (3327?), and he chose to buy a Lola T-360 for his FAtl racing pursuits instead. This was at a time when we were talking around $20K on the over under, there were concerns about oil embargoes, etc. Thirty years later they saw an SWB on one of the auction shows and had a good laugh... Personally I have to respect that her husband was a racer to his last days. Miss them both.

turbo-joe, readplays and JSinNOLA like this.
  19. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I had a friend ask today if I knew of a Ferrari 250 GT PF Coupe project car for sale. I promised to raise the question here.

20. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    There’s a cabriolet in the Ferrari Market Letter that may fit the bill…

*EDIT*

Here it is, if one brings their wallet…

https://www.gullwingmotor.com/Listing/326578/1962-Ferrari-250GT.aspx

21. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No **** Sherlock. Just because a Ferrari is old doesn’t make it worth 7 figures.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005