250 PF Coupe ... | Page 70 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    OK, I was not ready for this, a new bumper with over riders and rubbers but no chrome
    €18,350. ! Made from original patterns with August delivery.
    Might call some the companies that removed bodies from PF Coupes to build recreations.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Wouldn't Tom S. have a pile of these laying around?

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I did the same a while back looking for an ellena front bumper - u have to deal with the euro exchange and shipping as well

However, they do great work - BUT, what u get is a set of bumpers that have to be FIT to your car, edges to be ground to fit the contour, possible have to weld in your own mounting brackets because they do not know specially how they will line up with your mountings, and then once all fit correctly - u send out for chrome work......makes sense if your looking to custom make a set for a perfect fit.

Sure think Tom S or Motion would have a set or two available.....

REFRESH my memory - what yr PF coupe and front or back or both ? Let me check a few sources?

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  4. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    It’s a 1959 250 PF Coupe missing the entire front bumper and the over riders for the rear.
    Yes, they said the new bumper would have to be fitted which involves grinding.

5. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    David,

Did you reach out to Tom Yang? He may be able to be of assistance.

Bertocchi likes this.
  6. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I’m looking to purchase a photocopy of the Pininfarina parts manual for a PF coupe. PM me if you can provide one.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    What is the least expensive classic V-12 F car without a real back seat ? Not a 2+2.

Less than a Daytona.

8. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #1153 for sale on BaT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-ferrari-250-gt-4/

Please be cautious with this car. As verified in an early post on this forum I had my hands on this particular car one year ago, there were valve train issues then.
    It retained the mousetrap valve springs and there was an issue there. The ad is very careful not to mention the issue or its remedy.
    It may have been rectified but there is no mention of cylinder head repairs.

readplays and TTR like this.
  9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    All the write-up says is "Service in 2022 is said to have included an assessment of the engine’s upper end and a tune-up. Results of compression and leak-down tests performed in preparation for the sale are pictured in the gallery below."

Bertocchi likes this.
  10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #1735 John Vardanian, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    The important thing is the shapes from different angles seem correct, not much is missing and most importantly the brakes are intact. Need to make sure the carburettors are DCL's; it's hard to tell from the stamping on the plaques. If they are not, this would be an expensive item to remedy. Not a bad car...

john

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

No kidding..........I was quite frustrated with my car trying to get it to run well until I found I had two 36DCL's and one 40DCl. Pierce was able to help me get that straightened out though.

12. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I’m sure you know that there are several ways to fudge a compression test for photos

Bryanp likes this.
  13. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I have kept this under wraps for awhile but today it became official, I am part of a team restoring a 1959 250 PF Coupe that has been hidden away for many years. #1871 came to Texas from Minnesota over twenty years ago and has been waiting patiently for the love and attention it's now receiving.
    There are several pieces missing largely because we believe the car was raced. There is no emergency brake system, bumpers, inner fender wells, door panels. etc...in an effort to lighten the car a long time ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    ivo73, redfred84, NYC Fred and 4 others like this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    is there no 1871 stamp at the rear of the engine right side above the starter?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    David:
    Thank you very much for the interesting photos.
    Highly appreciated.

Enjoy the restoration!
    Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder about the gearbox. you are sure that this one belongs to the car? it has an overdrive but as I know ferrari strated with the overdrive with the 250 GT/E and not with the 250 GT. but may be my knowledge is not correct?
    the 1871 is also not stamped on the part of the gearbox where the "shifter, gearlever" ( sorry, not know the right name in english ) is located. when I enlarge I see different numbers but not clear, too little resolution

wish you good luck with all and don´t get under time pressure

18. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    The series 2 PF coupes had the 4sp/OD transmissions in them.

The chassis number is not stamped on either the transmission or differential. They will only have their unique serial number. For 1871, the transmission number will be around 140Fand the differential number around 150F (1851 is 138Fand 145F respectively).
    The chassis number is also stamped on the block under the RH distributor on a milled surface. The internal motor number is stamped on the vertical face of that milled area. The internal motor number should be around 250F (1851s is 252F). Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Note, the internal motor number are always even.

The differential number is stamped on the bottom and is likely very worn from years of the car being jacked up by the differential. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The transmission number is stamped on the housing near the shift lever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays and turbo-joe like this.
  19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

1471GT was an inside plug car with overdrive and disc brakes 1959.

20. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Yes the number at the back of the block was the first thing I checked when I inspected the car in January.
    I will post additional photos as I can. Thanks for all the feedback.

readplays likes this.
  21. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The remnants of a Pirelli sticker

readplays likes this.
  22. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
  23. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Kerry, Although the differential internal number was typically on the boss at the bottom of the case, it was sometimes stamped on top of the differential case near the nose of the casting (towards the driveshaft).

readplays likes this.
  24. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    If you are talking about Bertocchi's car, it is 1871, not 1471.

Here's was the Ferrari Market letter published about 1871:
    1871 GT 24 Mar 1960 Body No. 29467 14 May 1960 Destination Radiei. Exterior paint color grigio conchiglia MM 16249. Interior vinyl & leather nero 8500.
    This came from the Produzione Ferrari records.

donv and readplays like this.
  25. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Good to know and a much better place. My, 1643GT, has it almost completely worn away. Since I have the build sheet, I know that it is 12F, but it is not that obvious from what remains.

donv and readplays like this.