250 PF Engine Variations | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 PF Engine Variations

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Julio Batista, Jul 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Julio -
    Congratulations on your teams' hard-fought win!
    I hope you & Oscar enjoy your Spumante!

Tritone

2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you for the World Cup congratulations! Oh happy day! Both teams fought hard and could have won. It could have gone either way... And those Dutchmen are BIG!

I am overwhelmed by all the 250 engine information. Thank you, and lease let me print this thread out and try to digest all the data you have all provided.

Cheers,

Julio

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    #28 f308jack, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    This discussion might tie in with a discussion we had about the very early TR engines a while back, sprouting from the question of valve-spring types on these heads. If memory serves I think that discussion was never decisively concluded.

Julio, what type of valve springs does your engine have?

Also, if this engine is in any way off the normal specs, there should be a build-sheet for it somewhere; building an engine with off-series-specs is an expensive excersise, and would not happen without it being documented properly. If this engine came from Enzo's personal car, which car was it, and does anyone have the build sheets to that car?

Julio, congrats with winning the cup. As a Dutchman I cannot but conclude that the Spanish played the better soccer. The ref though needs to be sent packing. No sour grapes here, Spain deserved to win this match, the Dutch were hacking around.

4. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I agree that the Ref was a disaster. Both teams have much to be proud of. You guys beat Brasil, and we beat Germany! Robben was powerful and dangerous... Thanks for the congrats. I wish F1 results could follow...

I have asked my restorer to send me the pictures he took of the engine and its markings: I shall post them as soon as I receive them. My pictures will be put up this afternoon.

Would it be helpful to post a scan of the car's build sheet? That's where the reference to Enzo comes up.

This is getting very interesting...

5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Julio, Yes, scan of build sheets posted would be welcome.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Julio, please do post the build sheet. Regards, Alberto

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #32 Julio Batista, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    From the build sheet, the data shows a relatively normal 128D motor, confirmed also by the suffix "D" of the matching numero interno "048D" in the block photo. The block is listed as 128C - interested to learn if there are any numbers cast into the rear of the block at the timing hole. Curious paint sticker next to the identity plate.

9. earthandsea

earthandsea Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    SF bay area
    Greetings, Julio. I have PF coupe 1147 GT. The engine build sheet data for 1147 GT is the same as for 1157 GT, except 1147 GT Rapp. (compression ratio) is 9.4, and the Fase (camshaft timing) is different by about 1 degree (nominaly identical). I guess we both have standard engines. My car also was converted to 15 inch wheels with Dunlop disc brakes, probably by Ferrari factory. 1147 GT was delivered new to Italauto S.A. of Lausanne and sold new to Guiness, resident of Switzerland.

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi Larry,

I also have a GTC like yourself. I drive the PF and the GTC often one after the other, and despite the inferior power and primitive chassis, the PF provides me with substantially more enjoyment! 250 Colombos are perfect: the 330 does everything better, but without the same level of excitement. Do you feel the same?

Interesting differences in the build sheets, and you might well be right when you write that my engine also appears to be standard.

However, 1157 does have a special mention about the engine's origin...

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #36 kare, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Hi Julio, do you have exact date when your father bought this car? And when were you living at that time?

I think the engine was prepared for 1109GT while it was being completed for Ferrari's private use and 1157GT was still being constructed at Pininfarina. Then they decided to put in something else - and the intended engine was bumped into the next car that didn't have an engine allocated to it yet.

Time frame is so tight that I don't think this engine ever was necessarily really installed in Enzo's car, but maybe it got some special attention in assembly, hence the note on build sheets and destination for an old customer. This is pure speculation, of course. Best wishes, Kare

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #37 Julio Batista, Jul 19, 2010
    Kare, very interesting speculation! The build sheet does say that the engine "era montato", which seems to imply that it actually was installed on Enzo's car at some point, but who knows...

I will attempt to obtain more information on exact dates, I can tell you that my father (I was not on this earth yet) purchased the car in NYC from Chinetti when he was living in Cuba. Chinetti arranged for the new car to be shipped to Spain, where my parents started their three month European honeymoon. The honeymoon ended in Rome, where my father consigned the car for sale to my uncle, Vincenzo Malago (Central and Southern Italy distributor for Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini).

I have a long angry letter from my father to my uncle where he complained about the fact that my uncle apparently did not take much interest in selling my father's car (1157). At this time he had already purchased 1935, a series II PF Coupe.

I also am still waiting for the restoration pictures.

The most comprehensive source for all these matters is unfortunately the Bonhams auction catalog, which is of course highly suspect, but which might provide some clues. Here is the relevant extract:

"Chassis number 1157 was completed in November/December 1957 fitted with a special high-performance "internal 048D" engine to 128 LM specification (as fitted to the 250 TR Testa Rossa sports racer), a note on the engine page of the factory assembly sheets recording that "Questa veturra era montata sulla vettura del D.G." (This engine was installed in the car of the Director General). The Director General was, of course, none other than Enzo Ferrari himself, whose personal 250 GT 1109 had been fitted with this engine originally."

True? Partly true? Provable?

Cheers,

Julio

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Many owners claiming this or that will never have such proof for their claims as you already have: that note on the build sheets is pretty interesting - and impressive.

BTW, which side of the family did Vincenzo Malago belong to, mother's or father's?

Best wishes, Kare

14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #39 Julio Batista, Jul 19, 2010
    Thank you Kare.

Uncle Vincenzo was (still is) married to my mother's sister. He still sells many, many Ferraris (and BMW's). His dealership network is called Sport Auto Roma (SAMOCAR).

Regarding the brochure blurb, is there anything it says that is clearly false or incorrect given the information and knowledge we have?

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #40 kare, Jul 19, 2010
    You mean those build sheets? Not my strongest area, but AFAIK, piston weight, rod weight and CR are pretty normal. Twin distributors were also standard, except for the very first cars in series. Best wishes, Kare

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Sorry, I meant the text in the auction catalog:

"Chassis number 1157 was completed in November/December 1957 fitted with a special high-performance "internal 048D" engine to 128 LM specification (as fitted to the 250 TR Testa Rossa sports racer), a note on the engine page of the factory assembly sheets recording that "Questa veturra era montata sulla vettura del D.G." (This engine was installed in the car of the Director General). The Director General was, of course, none other than Enzo Ferrari himself, whose personal 250 GT 1109 had been fitted with this engine originally."

Cheers,

Julio

17. earthandsea

earthandsea Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    SF bay area
    Hi Julio: A few months ago my 330 GTC 9111 was sold via Fantasy Junction (Berkeley,CA) to the Netherlands, I believe. My 250 needs the engine rebuilt, as it smokes too much to drive in California. It does run well though, with plenty of power and revs. I prefer the older cars. I would like another 250, maybe a Lusso or PF cab II. These are somewhat affordable to me. I would again consider a 330 GTC or even a 365 GTB/4, but the 250 (even the PF coupe) is the heart, the essence of Ferrari. It is like a race car.

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #43 kare, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Auction catalogue descriptions are usually written by writers to promote sales, not by those who know or care what really happened and as a result we sometimes get to see marvellous pieces of fictious writing. Sometimes it gets really weird and I think 0366AM, for instance, was once offered for sale described as having been badly wrecked THREE TIMES when in real life it was never had a serious crash - as far as we know it.

This is not a bad case but still two clear mistakes:

- Construction of bodywork for chassis number 1157GT was started on 03/nov/58, and it usually took Ferrari/Pininfarina about three months to complete a steel bodied road car, so I would expect completion and delivery towards the end of January 1959***.
    - 128D-engine built using a 128/LM-10612 block most certainly is not same as 128/LM-engine "as fitted to the 250 TR Testa Rossa sports racer"

Best wishes, Kare

***PS. this actually leaves a one-two month window, while the engine might actually have been installed into 1109GT. It was started on 25/sep/58, so I would expect completion in December.

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Indeed.

Yes, the 1957 date is clearly a mistake. My parents' honeymoon began in April 1959. The car was purchased in New York and shipped to Europe by Chinetti immediately (the car was never used in Cuba or the US). This means that 1157 was already in NYC with Chinetti in March or early April 1959.

So your timeline "fits": The engine could have been mounted on 1109 during December 1958, January 1959, and February 1959. The build sheet confirms this as fact (except the dates of course).

The second mistake is less clear to me. Do you mean that the engine block MIGHT be a 128/LM-10612 type, but that in any case that would not make it similar to a TR engine? How would we confirm that it is a 128/LM-10612 type? I imagine it would be with engine block numbers, which I am still awaiting from the restorer.

Cheers and thanks again,

Julio

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I fully agree that the 250 Colombo engine is the ultimate Ferrari engine, but I would also submit from my (limited) personal experience that an inner plug 250 Colombo is the prime flavor.

Good luck on your next purchase!

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I mean that a road engine like yours is definitely different from a "engine to 128 LM specification (as fitted to the 250 TR Testa Rossa sports racer)" and thus the quoted claim is incorrect or at least inaccurate "an sich". 250TR had six carbs, lighter rods, higher compression, hotter cams etc, etc. Best wishes, Kare

22. simondgb

simondgb Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 16, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I used to own 1147gt. Sold it to Los gatos lux cars in 2003 it was red with black when I owned it but originally gray I think

Regards

Simon dgb
    [email protected]

23. Abi2612

Abi2612 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2005
    Schauenburg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Birner
    By the way, has #1109GT ever turned up anywhere? Was exported outside Italy in May of 1960.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1109 GT lives in Switzerland since 17 May 1960, still today, with the sixth owner.

Here's a pic I took just recently.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boudewijn likes this.
  25. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Marcel, is that in original color? If so what is it?

john