250 Zagato? | FerrariChat

250 Zagato?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by damian in nj, Aug 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    #1 damian in nj, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This showed up on Fantasy Junctions Facebook page-no note by them as to what it is-real? Replica? Recreation? Homage? Anyone know?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's not 0515GT.

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought I saw the original at the San Diego Auto Museum about 15 years ago along with the Bizzarini/Lambo.

Can anyone check me on that?

4. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I saw one of these yrs ago in Vegas-not sure if what I saw was real either-they said it was. It was a different color scheme-black on beige....almost white. really stuck with me. Sharp sharp sharp

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    One of the most beautiful cars ever built!!

Best

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it me or is it longer than 0515GT?

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Here's a fuller description of the car which I received in an email that I can't find on the web site. Apologies if it is there:

"Stunning Recreation of One of the Five 250 GT Zagatos Built

1961 Ferrari 250 GT Zagato Recreation

s/n 2223 engine no. 1325GT numero interno 0354D

Blue with White Roof and Blue Leather Interior

While not as well-known as certain other Ferraris of the period, the Zagato-bodied 250 GTs are in many ways the ultimate vintage Ferraris. Impossibly rare, coach built, visually stunning, and with strong ties to motorsports, these cars have it all. During a period when standard 250s were fairly restrained and conservative in appearance, the Zagato cars stood out starkly. Employing lightweight construction, they were aggressively yet beautifully styled. They employed exceptional detailing, including the trademark double bubble roof, which provided headroom for helmeted occupants but lowered the roofline and frontal area overall. Just five examples were built, each of which varied from the next, sometimes significantly. Thus, the Zagato 250 is a genuine coach built Ferrari, but it is one that orients itself more toward competition instead of luxury.

Opportunities to purchase genuine Zagato 250s are exceptionally rare, and exceptionally expensive, into eight figures. Thus, the appeal of reconfiguring a genuine Ferrari 250 with a new body that mimics the gorgeous Zagato coachwork of the originals is clear, and the results are nothing short of stunning. Built by Ross Coleman (previously shop foreman at Motion Products) of Alchemy Creations, this particular car was beautifully constructed to replicate s/n 0515GT, the first of the five Zagatos built, which was completed in 1956. The car is quite accurate throughout, faithfully recreating the exterior dimensions, instrument layout, turned aluminum dashboard finish, headliner stitching pattern, and countless other details. The construction of the car was recently completed, with just 700km (less than 450 miles) since. The car was built on a 250 GTE chassis, and the engine is a 1956 period-correct inside-plug unit that was completely rebuilt and fitted with Wossner pistons and a conventional valve spring conversion. The car retains its GTE overdrive transmission, with working overdrive, and the car is equipped with a ZF steering box. All mechanical components were rebuilt or replaced and the car fitted with disc brakes.

The car is in superb cosmetic condition, being extremely fresh and beautifully detailed throughout. The bodywork was done to superb standards, with excellent fit, gaps, and finish. The brightwork is in excellent, freshly-restored condition, and the car has extremely correct details, from the Marchal headlamps and Altissimo tail lamps to the door handles, Borrani wire wheels, articulated rear quarter windows, and Plexiglas wind deflectors held in place by beautifully wrought aluminum window surrounds.

The interior is equally well-executed, with correct instruments, controls, and dashboard layout. Even the turn signal switch is of the correct type, an item that was sourced at a swap meet in Italy for this car. The leather and carpet craftsmanship is first rate, and the contrasting black piping sets of the striking blue leather and white-painted dashboard. The steering wheel and instruments are beautifully restored, and the car has a pair of tinted sun visors.

The engine compartment is beautifully detailed and extremely clean. The car has a correct inside-plug 250 motor with triple carburetors, which are topped with velocity stacks. A beautiful set of tubular headers was made for the car and electric cooling fan added as well. Other aspects of the engine compartment presentation are quite correct, including the wrinkle finish to the cam covers, yellow fuel lines, and orange FRAM-illustrated oil filter housing with decals. The trunk is also beautifully restored, with correct matching spare with leather retaining strap, and matching blue quilted leather trim.

This is an exceptional opportunity to acquire a beautiful high quality recreation of the legendary 250 GT Zagato. In addition to being visually stunning and extremely well-executed, the car runs and drives superbly, with a noticeably lighter feel than is typical of early 250s. Thanks to its overdrive transmission and disc brakes, the car has meaningfully improved performance and livability over a standard specification 1956 Ferrari 250, while also being eligible for any event for which a 1961 250 GTE would be eligible, plus a few more that might defer to the 1956 build date of the original Zagatos. The car comes with spare front and rear windscreens (crated), as well as extra material used to finish the interior."

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Wow. That's my kind of bitsa. Clearly built for use on the road, with discs and a huge cooling fan.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #11 John Vardanian, Aug 26, 2013
  12. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #12 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 3, 2013
    1961 Ferrari 250 GT Zagato Recreation

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    It may be a recreation on a GTE, but is a lovely looking one at that!

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    .......although the advert says "built on a 250 GTE chassis"........and this: "s/n 2223 engine no. 1325GT numero interno 0354D".......

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Stunning, that back window is amazing. So much detail and trim.

Crazy place to read a fuel pressure gauge under the car.

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I know the Bizzarrini P538 was/is there along with the AMX/3

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Beuatiful..

18. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    I think its stunning, and would buy it in an instance if I had the money. Plus for the price considering the work that went into it, I think its a bargain