$250K Decision Ferrari or Other | FerrariChat

$250K Decision Ferrari or Other

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by picric, Jul 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. picric

picric Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    Merritt Island, FL32952
    I am looking at my first exotic sports car with a budget around $250K before taxes. I very much like the F12. I actually am torn between an F12 and a Huracan at this time. I have had a Porsche 2004 911S in the past and loved it especially the reliability and ease. Looking for a little reward for myself and wanted to know your thoughts, knowing your gonna try and sell me on the F12. I absolutely need the front lift for sure as have a couple speed bumps on my road. Like to know how bad issues, maintenance and such is at this time knowing the F12 is not the newest model. Is there another model you would recommend. I live in Florida and am interested in cruising around, blasting when I can. Sucks I am looking when everything car wise is so retardedly high. And yes I know the Huracan and F12 are two different kinds of cars.

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Consider 458 or Scud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    I personally I thought F12 looked better in person. I think Huracan may look better in posters. Objectively though, F12 is a better GT cruiser. I'd go F12 if you want to leave it stock. It's easy to work on and reliable. The only gripe I have with F12 is, there is no forced induction option. I always loved its sound and learned to like the smooth power delivery.

If I had bought a Huracan, it would be on my lift now getting a couple turbos installed. Since I have an F12, it just gets driven every chance I get--usually in a large circular fashion, from my garage to my garage. It can take a few hours.

Avia11, 3POINT8 and picric like this.
  4. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    A Huracan was originally on my shopping list when I was looking to move on from my 430 spider a little over a year ago, but I wound up with an F12 and it was definitely the right choice for me. The 430 was my first F car and I loved the look and enjoyed the attention initially, but eventually grew less comfortable riding around in a "look-at-me" car which the Huracan definitely is. I'm not saying the F12 isn't an attention getter, but not on the same level as most of the mid-engined exotics. I do occasionally miss the 430, but like you, I needed front-end lift for my driveway, and find myself taking the F12 for a spin more often.

If you study the F12 threads, I think you'll find the F12 is fairly dependable as exotics go. That's not to say there aren't a few nuisance issues that can pop up, but no routine major headaches.

picric likes this.
  5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Ferrari for go, lambo for show.

colonels, Flea7, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    F12 is user friendly, meaning it is comfortable and has plenty of storage if you run to the store or take a trip. Pretty fast and sporty as well. Get a valve controller and the stock exhaust sounds great.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I always recommend a sport model as a person's first exotic, not a GT car like the F12. That is just what I think of when I think exotic supercar. I loved the way the Huracan drove, far better than the 458. The suggestion of a Scuderia is good too. It stands as the most entertaining Ferrari I have driven, and has a rarity no other car yet mentioned has.

3POINT8 and ShineKen like this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you want the power to keep up with the modern toys, you’ll want the F12. If you want something that is a bit more racy, thats the 458- but ultimately it does not have the shove of the F12. If you want something that feels like a race car for the road- with the good and bad it brings- get the Scud. I absolutely agree with Eddies advice for 458 or Scud, but, given you are in Florida, land of mostly straight roads and highways that seem like they let you drive pretty fast most of the time, Id think the F12 is your choice. Just keep in mind people will say its not as exciting looking as this or that. But you will get an amazing car. Ferrari categorizes the F12 as a sports car- and its not really a GT car in its ethos- its more of a front engined supercar.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A car driven for fun in a place like Florida (where I'm from) or Houston Tx (where I live now) where the roads are boring should have a premium for being entertaining. That is the strength of the Huracan and the car I chose over it, a Ford GT which is bonkers fun in every situation other than driving long distances where it gets to be just too much.....too entertaining :)

I also hear good things about the 600LT in that regard (entertaining everywhere), but I'm not a McLaren guy.

Good choices available though...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats a good point of view- no disagreements. Here's the thing- I remember a time when exotic type car choices were limited- thats not the case now. So now you can really find the best match.

Shark01 likes this.
  11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F12. It's a masterpiece.

If you can consider something a bit older, a Challenge Stradale would be my pick.

italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Get another Porsche. Cheaper, fun, fast, familiar, and reliable. Also flies well under the radar.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    IMO a Lambo does not have the gravitas of a Ferrari. Ferrari is an automotive dream with an enormous racing and lifestyle culture, Lambo is a division of VAG.
    For that money in the Ferrari world and for relatively modern hassle-free cars you are realistically looking at:
    V12–599 and F12
    V8–430 variants, 458 Italia and possibly spider, maybe a higher mileage 488gtb.

Most “exotic” and still reliable is the 458 hands down, no question. That car gives you a smile every time you drive it, anywhere, anytime.
    Most horsepower and Ferrari “style” with the pedigree of a V12 (going back to 1947) is the F12. It is an epic beast that truly is two cars in one: comfy GT cruiser for date night and regular driving, running errands, etc. but put it in race mode, manual shifts at 8K+ rpms and it transforms into a monster that can shred tires and shred you of your confidence in milliseconds.

Only you can decide after driving both. But if you drive an F12 and want to allow yourself an honest assessment you must get it off the Blvd and turn it into beast mode to understand the car.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Opinions on this certainly vary....and until very recently Ferrari was owned by the company putting out Fiat 500s

The OP should drive all the choices to decide for himself.

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    True. Despite Fiat ownership Ferrari has always been the same culture of premier Grand Prix racing and jet set lifestyle, Lambo, not so much, much more boutique.

16. mgr201

mgr201 Rookie

May 8, 2022
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I went through a similar calculus with similar price and eventually chose the 458 and saved myself $50k. I loved the F12 but really wanted that mid-engined experience. I have owned Porsches previously and wanted something a bit more “special” and a bit less common. Every time I drive the 458, it is an event and it gives you that fizz even if I’m just going to the post office. I also needed the suspension lifter because of driveway issues so that ruled out the 430 and Scuderia (both of which I also adore). There was nothing really special about the California and I already have a four seat convertible BMW for practical, enjoyable motoring with the family on board. I keep my 458 in the hills of Connecticut where the backwoods roads and corners let it sing when driven in a spirited manner.

If I was in FL, which is topographically and streetwise like Cook or Lake County, IL but with palm trees and warmer water, I am not sure I would have wanted a precision cornering device like a 458. Maybe I would have gotten a Portofino or a Roma. Maybe I would have gotten a Bentley Continental Speed. I don’t know. It’s so hot down there that I’d want air conditioning as a paramount concern.

I also considered a few McLarens and have enjoyed them on track days but think they all look too similar and they do not hold their value like Ferraris (primarily because they don’t have 70+ years of Tifosi loyalists rushing to buy everything they make). Funnily enough, there is a neighbor here in CT with a 911 Turbo S Cab who gives me a thumbs up every time we pass each other and another with a McLaren 650S who just frowns like he’s sucking lemons every time I drive by in my appreciating asset while he languishes in a depreciating one.

I considered the Huracan and have driven the Gallardo extensively but truthfully I didn’t want a car that shared a platform with a mass market brand. I thought about a Porsche 911 Turbo S but again wanted something just a bit more special even if the Porsche is far more practical and technologically integrated.

If I were you in FL, I think the F12 would be the best of all the combinations for what you want to experience but in the end this is entirely a matter of personal preference and you are unlikely to go wrong with any of the privileged and wonderful choices available.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

emericr, Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, Lamborghini was much more of a boutique automaker. They hand built cars up to the end of the 90s, and were putting out 250-300 cars per year through the late 90s also. I miss that exclusivity, the mystique. The Audi ownership has truly been a double edged sword.

italiafan likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree. My view of Lambo when in the 80’s and 90’s is probably similar to the view of Pagani today.

Shark01 likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    He should be smiling these days as the 650S has appreciated alot.

Put one of my friends to the sidelines. He had the money, wanted to make one more big stock trade, lost money there and the 650S appreciated rapidly.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    vonbeeler and ANOpax like this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'll draw some scorn here, but I like that line of cars starting with the "T" model. First exotic? No, but it fits a nice niche.

italiafan likes this.
  22. mgr201

mgr201 Rookie

May 8, 2022
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just saying…

Compared to McLaren

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The 650S has gone up $60k, or 33% from its low when I was helping my friend shop. So he should be smiling...

24. mgr201

mgr201 Rookie

May 8, 2022
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That’s interesting. What’s your local market? Around here (NY Tri-State), a 2015 650S convertible with low miles (under 3500) goes for $180-$210k. That’s about $50-$100k less than a 2015 458 Spider with similar mileage. Miller Motor Cars, the CT dealer for both brands, can’t keep Ferraris of any type in stock but has a fleet of McLarens on consignment awaiting new owners.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So when my friend and I was looking (he wanted my help because he never had anything more than a VW Beetle), the asks were in the mid $120s, and he wanted to make another trade (this was like in Dec), then fairly quickly they were high $170s ask and that was that.

I have no idea what the current market is, not that I care....I was just commenting on your neighbor that his car had risen like everything else.

Gh21631 and mgr201 like this.