250LM | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250LM

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Simply Googled 250 LM replica.

Best

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    can think of several reasons why GTO replicas are more popular than LM's. An LM would not be as driveable (hot, loud, hard to shift, hard to get in and out of, uncomfortable to sit in, hard to drive fast) so what do you do with it? It's a race car, but no sanctioning body is likely to admit it. If it's to be used on the street, the GTO configuration is worlds better. Then you have the practical aspects of construction: A reasonable facsimile of a GTO can be built around a wrecked GTE or some such, but what do you use a starting point for a mid-engined car? Well, maybe a 308, but that's a long way from replicating an LM. What would one use for a gearbox? Finally, there is the question of beauty, still (and always) a motivating factor for some buyers. I realize that some on this thread love the shape of the LM, but I'll bet that a poll would show that the GTO is more universally considered one of the best body shapes ever.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

All True.

Best

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

Also one of the most recognized.

5. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris

I agree though the LM is very seductive! I'm wondering, Ed, which you would rather have, a GTO or a 330LMB. I guess I can ask you tomorow.

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    330LMB. I had one in my posession for a short while (didn't own it) and it was without doubt on my part the SWEETEST driving car ever. Man, it was wonderful to drive: smooth, powerful, civilized, handled like a dream, and just enough insulation to make you forget that you were in a race-car.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Unfortunately, that's also the reason that so many Datsun 280Z GTO replicas litter the landscape. Whenever I see a pic of a GTO anywhere except F-chat, I assume that it's a Datsun! The same problem doesn't seem to exist with the 250LM. Most pics are of the real McCoy.
    Also, from what I found by net browsing, the Rawlson 250LM kit car is no longer made.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree with all comments regarding preference for GTO ... for me it borders on being too pretty. I think I would really enjoy the chassis balance, but ofcourse no idea. I also prefer the LM because it was a turning point and links so many great Ferraris of the period, ie. GTO to P2/P3/P4, plus it has that awesome under dog winning history and ofcourse won the ultimate price: Le Mans, which a GTO never did.

From the LM on race cars really became dedicated race cars ... yeah sure you can drive anything on the road, but even the LM sounds like it is difficult.

I must admit, I'm like Jim here, I like these cars (theoretically) because they are demanding ... why I would never buy a NSX (and hate the direction of modern cars), why I want to buy a Ducati, etc. These sorts of cars should demand a lot from you so that when you deliver it is a wonderful experience. I am a driving enthusiast and thus I want it raw.

Other than an Alfa Romeo 8c2900b a 250LM would be in my garage as quick as possible if I came into $10 million ... and my wife would accept that yes I do want to spend a huge amount of money on just one car :D
    Pete

9. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #59 mroz, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've post pictures on another thread, but here is a couple better photo's for the LM fans. Which do you like?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So beautiful. So awesome that you take it for a morning breakfast ..Cant imagine going for a hot chocolate at the local 4bucks on sat morning and see this beauty parked...

11. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    WORDS alone simply cannot describe this car!!!!!!

doug

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Mroz:

Nice photos. What time of day was the photo taken - you got a superb horizon line reflection across the body.

Have you done a detail side-by-side comparison of your car's body against a normal LM? I am curoius about how much change Pf did in the shapes beyond the roof. From these two photos you posted (which are a bad view for checking some details) it appears that Pf changed the amount of peak on the crease at the top of the rear fenders.

No mufflers on yours, right?

Jeff

13. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Can I ask who took these images?

14. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    When I was (very) young, I went to the USGP at the Glen. Parked at a small motel/restaurant in town was the white with blue striped (NART) LM (chassis #6025?). As I was checking it out, trying desperately not to let any of my drool hit the finish, a man who I took to be the owner told me to hop in. It was unlocked, and I had no hesitation taking him up on his offer. It was the memory of a lifetime, but as I exited to my mortification it turned out he was not the owner. Have no idea who he was. I took some black and whites, but not sure I know where they are. If I find them, I'll post.

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How did you find out he was not the owner? Please find the pics !!
    Erik

16. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It was so long ago (60's), it's tough to remember exactly. I think I found out as a result of a question I had asked him. Couldn't believe it was just sitting there...no crowd...not even another person around. I'll try to find the pix. Took them with a tiny Minox. Black and White and very grainy.

17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Absolutely stunning car...

18. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #68 mroz, Feb 23, 2008
    Time of the photo was about 7:00PM at Summer.

Most of the body is different from a regular LM in subtle volumes and lines.

Me. No copy right. Their for free.

Amazing you remembered the NART Badge on the car! Here is a pic of the back at around 1965.

19. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanx for sharing! Put a big smile on my puss. You are one lucky guy. I don't have to tell the members of this forum how a few moment encounter can have such a huge effect on your life. Was like a dream come true and really stoked my passion for Ferraris.

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #70 jimpo1, Feb 23, 2008
  21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002