250MM 0348 | FerrariChat

250MM 0348

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by maserich, Feb 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Hey Manny
    Do you still have this car?
    I am in contact with one of the old owners and she'd like to see it again.
    Very Pretty...
    Rich

Pine likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I assume you mean Mrs Audrey Saffel?
    Yes, car still with M.

Marcel Massini

3. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Yes it is Audrey.
    Is it in Southern Califoria?

4. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #4 mroz, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, I have the car. PM me and it would be my pleasure to share pictures of the car.

Below is a picture of Audrey and the car today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and Pine like this.
  5. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    If you would be willing to talk to her Please email me at [email protected] and I'll give you her phone number. She is going to come visit the 166 that she used as her everyday driver next week.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I always found thewindscreen set-up on that car particularly attractive. How effective is it, anyone with experience?

7. Audrey Sundin

Audrey Sundin Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    Hi you'all, I am Audrey Saffell Sundinl. I raced this beauty in the 50's, I'm still alive if your wondering.

mcimino likes this.
  8. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You must have some amazing memories, I can only dream of driving and racing Ferrari's when new in the 50's. The cars made during that era are, without a doubt, the most gorgeous machines ever made. I hope that you connect with the current owner, I'm sure it would be a very interesting conversation.

9. Audrey Sundin

Audrey Sundin Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    He has been here at my home all afternoon looking through pictures and scrap book. Also had a 166MM that is now in a museum in Scottsdale AZ, but never raced that car, it had a 5 speed crash box.

mcimino likes this.
  10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Difficult choice between a 50s Ferrari and a 30s Alfa.....

11. Audrey Sundin

Audrey Sundin Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    It has been so many years since I drove and raced the car. It must have been effective, but also I most likely wouldn't have known the difference, I was to young at the time. I loved everything about the car, except for its 7 plate steel/alum clutch.

mcimino likes this.
  12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey and Welcome!

13. New River KTM

New River KTM Rookie

Sep 11, 2009
    The guys at the museum were very impressed with Audrey she is quite a lady. She left some photos of the cars during her racing days and some shots of the Ferrari factory during a visit. Nothing like pictures of what seemed like an endless row of V12 motors. It would be great if she was able to see the 166 when it gets restored.

14. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #14 mroz, Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks Rich for connecting me with Audrey. Just visited today.

Audrey was so gracious to share all her memories about racing the 250MM in the fifties.

Fascinating stories and history. Still a real Ferrari racer at heart!!!

Thank you Audrey!!

15. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Manny, Audrey, it's a quiet thrill to see connections through time unfold like this here. I could ask questions of Ms. Sundinl for hours. Thank you for sharing a little bit of this with us!

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #16 GIOTTO, Mar 10, 2010
  17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Audrey,

Thanks for making my day!
    When I asked the question, never would I have dreamt to get is answered by someone who raced the car back then.
    I know what you mean about the clutch: I helped re-building the clutch of an MM a long time ago, there was some type of lining material on it, but it certainly was a true racing device. It was the first time I took the front seats out of a car to renew the clutch.

Welcome here, I hope you will share some of your stories?

Best,

Jack.

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #18 Bryanp, Mar 10, 2010
  19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Bryan,

Thanks for that pic, brings back memories: Un-lined it is (and was). An MM with a slipping clutch is a pig to drive.

20. Audrey Sundin

Audrey Sundin Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    I want to see it restored for sure and in the Museum where it sits now.

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi Audrey: we are all very glad you are "still alive".The post by "MROZ" is most flattering. The picture of you in 0348 #29 with no headrest and with the chequered flag:where and when was this taken?My file on this car includes B&W pix of you and Chuck with 0348 and the Boano and two B&W pix of 0348 with I believe Susy Earl standing and the other with Jerry Earl sitting in the car.Aparently dad Harley wouldn't buy the car for his son. I also have pix of 0348 at Courtland Alabama in July 1957 and Gainsville in 1950. When you get a chance it would be great to hear any stories you have about your adventures with 0348 and any pix you would like to share. Please post or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks much tongascrew

Pine likes this.
  22. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Great Thread!

BTW I thought this was a Bugatti invention? (the steel/alluminium clutch)
    Audrey, please give us some more stories about racing in those days! (dangerous of course, without the hideous but understandable roll over protection)
    Ciao
    Oscar

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Oscar,

I couldn't agree more. One of the true gems!

24. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #24 mroz, Mar 12, 2010
  25. Audrey Sundin

Audrey Sundin Rookie

Mar 4, 2010
    If my memory is correct it was Courtland Ala. Chuck and I were helpful in getting the first race started in Ala. Courtland was an old air force run way and due to years of sitting in hot and rainy weather the runway was like crushed glass and ate tires like a free buffet dinner. The clutch was one thing I will never forget, NO NO slip, all or nothing. We lived on a mountain in Huntsville, Ala. and he was out test driving the car and the police took him in for the noise, 4 straight pipes, no mufflers. Police station was up stairs and the fire station below and when he got out everyone wanted to hear the car. It blew through the fire station like a tornado, shaking the walls. What a fabulous car. We paid $4,000. and it had almost that much in spare parts. Of course today we know a roll bar is only as good as what it is attached to, but back then they were not required. The limited slip differential was new to me and hard to learn being just the oposite of giving a car gas to get through a turn. We never damaged the car while we were racing it even though I dug up my share of weeds and corn stocks.

Thanks, Audrey Saffell Sundin

Pine likes this.