250MM 0348 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

250MM 0348

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by maserich, Feb 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome Audrey, we are very honored to have you here today.....

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Manny, Audrey- Loved this thread and thanks for all the history. You still look great in that car.

3. dougny

dougny Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    NY / LA
    What a great read. I am so glad to be a part of a community that connects generations like this. I cannot wait to reach back into history like this when I get my first vintage F car.

4. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Too cool, what a great thread!

5. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Really touched. The years pass, people change but the cars are still the same.

Best
    Greg

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Ok, shame on me for bringing an old thread back from the dead, but this was posted during a time that I was on hiatus and I never saw it until today. Wow - what a cool thread!

Ok, that's all. :D

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    This is one of the trully great threads in F Chat. Copies of most of it take up much of my file on this car from the day of the first posting. Oh if there were more s/ns that received this treatment. tongascrew

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thank you for bringing it back. Amazing thread!

9. 250cal

250cal Rookie

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought a lot of Chuck's literature collection years ago and have it with my collection in Orlando. Most of the hardbound books, he said he got from an English Boys School that closed. I also have the1957 yearbook that you and Chuck collected autographs at Sebring, I presume. It has about 25-30 signatures of drivrers and Ferrari team managers.

Do you remember it and have any stories about how you guys got so many autographs?

[email protected]

10. Pine

Pine Rookie

Mar 7, 2022
    Lakewood California
    Full Name:
    Art Saffell
    #85 Pine, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2022
    Hello Manny, I very much enjoyed your postings on my Mom’s racing past, I’m Art Saffell, Audrey’s son. I’m very sorry to share my mom passed away this last December 19th,

11. Pine

Pine Rookie

Mar 7, 2022
    Lakewood California
    Full Name:
    Art Saffell
    Hello, I’m Art Saffell, Audrey’s son. I just joined Ferrari Chat and really enjoyed reading all the posts and pictures of my mom’s serious racing hobby. Sadly I need to share she passed away this last December 19th. My sister Christina and I put together a glorious funeral celebration of life for her, had there quite a few of her first place trophies on display and a ton of her racing photos for all to see, she’ll be terribly missed !

mcimino likes this.
  12. Pine

Pine Rookie

Mar 7, 2022
    Lakewood California
    Full Name:
    Art Saffell
    Hello, I’m Art Saffell Audrey’s son, I’m sorry to have to share my mom sadly passed away this last December 19th. The picture is of my mom Audrey and my dad Charles W. “Chuck” Saffell standing side by side, the #29 race car on the left and their street Ferrari on the right she’ll be terribly missed. I found both their racing helmets while cleaning out her garage this afternoon.

13. Pine

Pine Rookie

Mar 7, 2022
    Lakewood California
    Full Name:
    Art Saffell
    Miss you Mom, Rest In Peace, I know your racing in Heaven !

mcimino likes this.
  14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Welcome to Ferrarichat Art. I'm very sorry to hear about you mom's passing. But what a life she led. You can be very proud of her.
    It's great to go back through this thread after 10+ years.

mcimino likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Dear Art, very sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.
    And welcome to ferrarichat.

Here's a photo showing the Saffell's with the 250 MM and the Boano. The same photo was also published in the 1959 Ferrari Yearbook.
    0348 MM lives today in a fabulous collection in Germany.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+, readplays and Pine like this.
  16. Pine

Pine Rookie

Mar 7, 2022
    Lakewood California
    Full Name:
    Art Saffell
    Hello, thanks so much for your kind words, yes she was quit a woman, only wanted to win first place with everything she did in life ! I’ve now got all her racing memorabilia and would like to post other pictures of her racing that haven’t been posted on the Ferrari Chat site. I’m fact yesterday while cleaning my mom’s garage I found her and my dad “Chuck” s racing helmets, nice bumper into you.

17. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I had never come across this thread, it was a great read!

18. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Art, Sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I really enjoyed reading about her accomplishments, very determined I'm sure. You'll have to share more pictures and stories if you will.

I bet trips to the grocery store where fun too.

Perry

19. 166MM alum

166MM alum Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrell Westfaul
    Hi Art. I knew your mom and dad since we shared the honor of having owned the Zagato 166 Mille Miglia 0046M. I had many telephone conversations with them and met Audrey when she came to visit her old racing buddy George Bernard in Birmingham, Alabama. Audrey was a very interesting person and I’m sorry to hear that she has passed away. She led a full and fascinating life, full of adventure and travel—even to the Great Wall of China. When I first made contact with her by phone, I interrupted her day trading, but she was glad to hear news about the little red coupe. I have a chapter devoted to her and Chuck Saffell in my forthcoming book on the history of 0046M.

Regarding 0348M, the subject of this thread, years ago Wayne Obry of Motion Products came by to look over 0046M and mentioned that he had restored the Saffell’s former 0348M. He complained that Chuck had removed the passenger side windscreen for racing and that they had to research it and make a replica. That said, I opened a box and showed him the original windscreen that Chuck had sent me.

375+ and readplays like this.