Drilling tranny casing to eliminate cold 2nd gear problems | FerrariChat

Drilling tranny casing to eliminate cold 2nd gear problems

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Folks - I recall seeing a document years ago which showed where and how to drill a small angled hole into the exterior tranny casing.

The point was to make a new oil passageway which allowed some of the "trapped" oil in the tranny to flow better.

It was put forth that the reason that our trannies are hard to shift into second when cold was due to the flow resistance of this trapped oil. When warm the oil thins and thus easier shifting automatically results.

This new drilled passageway was to prevent the trapping of this oil in the first place.

I can't locate my old copy of this document anywhere, even thought I sure thought that I made a copy of it.

I "think" that it might have originally appeared in FML.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

If so, can you post the article here for future reference?

But, most importantly, does this DIY modification really work as promised?

Thanks - DM

2. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I remember reading the article you are referring to years ago. It was before I was on F-Chat, so could it have been on Ferrari List?

3. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #3 RGigante, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dane likes this.
  4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Good man! Gracias

5. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Excellent , but can anyone tell us if it works ???

6. magaoidh

magaoidh Karting

May 12, 2009
    Radical surgery that.I would rather be patient and let the oil warm up!!!

7. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #7 pad, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    I made a modification to my gt4 about 10 years ago to address this problem. I recall there was an article in some mag that professed this solution. It required drilling, but I'm not sure if the trans case was the issue. If I remember correctly, it did seem to work. However, there are those on Fchat who claim the procedure is invalid. You can do a search, read the thread(s) and make your own decision.

Edit: I found the article. Prancing Horse #127 page 45 and yes, the case is drilled from the outside and then plugged.

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #8 eulk328, Feb 2, 2010
    Doesn't mean you can't or that people don't let the oil warm up too.

I would rather have 2nd be no less difficult to engage, when cold, than the other gears.

And while the engines have good power skipping a gear when cold (1st to 3rd) is not the greatest thing either for the engine or clutch. Quite simply you're going to have to use more rpm's to jump to third or lug the engine a bit more than if you had a fully functional 2nd gear. Who wants to do that on a cold engine?

9. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    #9 ulf308qv, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    We should start a poll on this. See how many of those that performed this change saw a difference.

Perhaps others have had the issue fixed by properly aligning the linkage. Probably should have that on the poll as well.

Aaron

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ulf would you have a readable scan of your highly interesting article?

12. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    I have it, it anyone sends me a private email, I'll send copies. Its too big to post here.

Rick

13. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #13 ramosel, Feb 2, 2010
    It certainly helped on my car. Made the issue go away. Remember though, this is not about getting into second, it more about getting out of first. There are those who say it does nothing. I did mine while the motor and trans were apart so I know the hole got into the best place (rear of the pocket). Could be when doing it blind as the article speaks of, some have ended up with the hole in the wrong place. FWIW...

Rick

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I have wondered why first is such a bear to get out of with below freezing temps.
    Dave

15. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    Sorry, I only have it in the format attached. Try to blow it up to 200% and you should be able to read it.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Ulf.

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Thanks for posting this (again).

Cheers - DM

18. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    DM and others. This sounds great - I wasn't aware there was a fix.

Anyone do this with the gearbox in ?

I have a drill and an access pit waiting for this job :)

Lee

19. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You may want to start with something less radical like switching your tranny oil to Redline. You may be satisfied with the results.

mike996 likes this.
  20. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    +1 Redline MTL.

21. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    +2

Switching to Redline eliminated the 2nd gear problems in my 1980.
    The hardest part was removing the old oil first.
    Course I didn't know then about drilling into the case.

22. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    The whole concept of blindly drilling into the tranny case from the outside, hoping that you get lucky and hit the "sweet spot", and then plugging the exterior hole left behind, strikes me as just asking for big time troubles!

No, I've never done this mod and have no intention of ever doing so.

Rather, this mod is something to consider if (and when) one has the tranny already apart and on the work bench. This way you could clearly see what you are getting into.

And that's the reason why I wanted a copy of it, to keep in the back of my mind for that day, someday, when I have to do a tranny rebuild ... should that day ever come.

Yes, well aware of the use of Redline already. For my car, no differences noted between Redline and the previous Amsoil synthetic.

Thanks - DM

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    When I had my gearbox apart many moons ago I looked closely at it and maybe at the time I was too green on ferraris to see it. I came to the conclusion that the blind hole the shifter rod entered was for reverse not first, trying to compress a fluid would cause this issue but I could be wrong. I chose not to drill it and replaced my toasted syncros instead. The gearbox shifted perfectly from that day on stone cold in november without a warmup. The problem with these gearboxes is the they need to be rebuilt! My boxer manual states the syncros should be changed every 30K! You can drill holes, change fluid and add magic additives, skip gears when cold or sit there warming the car up before you can shift it. These are all signs things aint right so why not fix it? If the answer is "its too expensive" then you cant afford the car - that applies to anyone not directed at you Dave.

24. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    +1. I put in Red Line 75W90NS, no help.

25. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    That makes a lot of sense, except I drove a 2K miles 328 when I was looking, and it also would not shift into second very well when cold. Certainly, the sychros were not work out in 2K miles. I also had a 328 years ago with under 10K miles on it, and it was the same.

Also, I recall the magazines "back in the day" experiencing the same thing, on the cars when they were brand new.

So, it seems like worn synchros certainly can be one cause of the "difficult cold 2nd," there may also be something else.

(Also, from a mechanical standpoint, wouldn't the trans shift BETTER when cold if it had a worn second gear synchro??? Wouldn't the colder, thicker oil help the syncro to work better? Not sure, just a thought).