275 gtb suspension/brake rebuild | FerrariChat

275 gtb suspension/brake rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Vintage V12, Sep 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #1 Vintage V12, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am getting ready for a suspension/brake rebuild on a 275gtb. Any photographs of a finished job with correct finishes, or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #2 Vintage V12, Sep 9, 2005
  3. Hairy

Hairy Karting

Nov 16, 2004
  4. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Matt:

I realize Patrick Ottis is gone thru Monday this afternoon. You were smart enough, after over a year selecting a local leading professional in the field. Patrick owned a 275GTB/4 for 30 years.

Why would you be asking this question in a forum of thousands? Most with opinions and not experience. Those with experience, probably will not answer. As you have also found out, most leading engine builders do not have computers, either!

Let Patrick direct you!

"OK now, Patrick continue driving this bus, Matt get back in your seat" :)

5. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Hairy: Thank you very much for the photos
    Tom: As always, you have again given me correct advice. As you might imagine, this project is the center of my life. I am courious to see what a finished car might look like. This restoration process is a long rollercoaster ride...I have no doubt that the job from Patrick will be as correct as it can get. Its always nice to have photos and hear about someones experience who has gone through the same thing.I am a hands on guy so for me,its a learning experience.

6. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Matt

My goal to to avoid wrong or inaccurate information getting to you. This way your service professional will not need to spend unnecessary time overcoming new obsticles from potential data exchanges with inexperienced Chatters.

Now please sit down, before you get in trouble, and leave the driving to the P Ottis Bus Company. :)

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    But please feel free to continue sharing those photos as the work progresses!

8. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #8 Vintage V12, Sep 10, 2005
    Wayne: I am taking lots of photos, and would be happy to share when I put them together. This photo is the first day at Patrick Ottis's shop when he gives me and my wife the "low down". Thats her in the back in shock after she overheard the estimate...

9. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Thats my motor in front of the car.......

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, I recognized that look on her face.

11. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #11 kvisser, Sep 10, 2005
  12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    What 275 has ventelated brakes, cast suspension arms, ATE brakes, 2 shocks, CV joints and 42 style spinners ?????? Please enlighten. Like I was saying.....

13. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
  14. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Sorry about the mislabled image. I believe that is a reworked suspension on an Italia. I apologize for trying to help.

regards

ken

15. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Original finishes as follows:
    All suspension bolts: black oxide
    All nylon insert nuts: clear cadmium with yellow nylon insert
    Castle nuts, black oxide
    Shock absorber mounting bolts: black oxide
    Shock absorber: Koni orange
    Spring retainers: zinc plate
    Springs: gloss black paint, usually hand brush marked with white and/or yellow paint on part of one coil about ¼ the way down – mark may have something to do with spring rate? Use flex additive in paint.
    Brake disc mounting bolts and nuts: black oxide
    Brake disc centers: unfinished cast iron, but use cast iron color high heat paint to protect
    Splined hubs: black oxide
    Sway bars: semi-gloss black paint
    Cast pivot arms for sway bar, rear: dull nickel plate (sulphamate nickel?)
    Vertical rear sway bar links: semi-gloss black paint
    Front sway bar links, cast,: dull nickel plate
    Front and rear uprights: semi-gloss black, but machined surfaces are not painted (coat clear to protect where exposed)
    Suspension A-arms: semi-gloss black paint
    Suspension bushing cups: zinc plate (silver not gold)
    Suspension arm mounting forks: black oxide
    Pitman arm: cast, dull nickel plate
    Steering arms, nickel plate over unpolished casting – caution – bake to avoid hydrogen emrittlement after plating
    Brake calipers: saddles, wheel cylinders, wheel cylinder bolts, pad retainers, hardware: cadmium plate (silver, not gold)
    Wheel cylinder bolt lock washers: black oxide
    Caliper mounting bolts to upright: black oxide
    Hand brake calipers: cadmium plate (silver not gold)
    Brake hose mounting nuts: clear cadmium
    Brake line nipples and fittings: clear cadmium

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great stuff!! I love these old Ferrari resto threads! Even though i work on them daily, I really don't get to see very many real vintage Ferrari's too often. Please keep the pics comming!

17. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Lancia: You're genious! Where did you get that information?

18. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Helped work on unrestored one many moons ago, helped take apart, paid attention.

19. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I guess Lancia's response will only cause "additional unnecessary time overcoming new obsticles from potential data exchanges with inexperienced Chatters."

He must represent someone with "opinions and not experience." However, since he does have experience, he won't bother to answer. : )

warm regards

kcv

20. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    I would love to hear the estimate from the professional, I could use a good laugh. The Guy that charges you all the money usually hires minimum wage labor to do all of the dirty work. It reminds me of the Sheehan article about how much it costs to paint a ferrari. The guy that makes most of the money is the guy that rounds up the clients, not the guy doing the work. They are catering to an affluent market that is ignorant of the actual task at hand. I say do the work yourself, there are probable lots of guys in you area that would help. There is no need to pay someone $100/hr for disassembly and cleaning. The worst part is that they will probably use a rattlecan to refinish the parts. I am sure that you have been told already how much it will ruin the value of your car if you do it yourself. You will probably do a better job since it is for yourself anyway. You won't believe how easy and inexpensive the job will be. If you need parts, get them from Ferrari UK. Any competent mechanic can handle the job. You will even save enough to buy a nice compressor, parts washer, and bead blaster. Good luck! How much was that estimate?

21. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    If you enjoyed that one, you should read his "How much to restore a Ferrari" in this month's SCM!

T308

22. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    It's funny how the price of of a Ferrari restoration rises with the value of the car even though the amount of work required remains the same. The "people who know that will probably not answer" are the guys trying to protect their standard of living. They don't want you to know their secrets like how your suspension was painted with Rustoleum to match the crappy quality of the rest of the chassis. Open the phone book and find a plater in your area. He knows more about the correct finish of those parts than a Ferrari mechanic. Bring him a sample of each part. This job is a simple clean and replate. Instead of rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells, use truck bead liner coating in a spray can. Holds up better, and never gets tacky. It's way more correct than using an aftermarket crank and Carrillo rods in a "priceless" restoration. It's amazing that you would be berated for an incorrect finish on your suspension while the "experts" all say that it is OK to use modern base/clear paint because it looks better. These guys are just trying to make a living on your income! If you want true Ferrari quality in you restoration, paint it with a brush. Enzo didn't care about anything except the engine. Do it so that you are happy with it. If you do it to correct standards, and you drive it on a regular basis, it will once again look like crap(original). All these guys that are telling you to get it done properly will be the one's who offer you half of retail when you sell the car.

23. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #23 Vintage V12, Sep 12, 2005
    Thank you for all the photos and information. This car is getting a complete mechanical restoration. I will post photos of the progress as things go along. The carbs are comming together.

24. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    The carbs look beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

ken

25. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #25 Vintage V12, Sep 12, 2005