288 GTO or F40? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

288 GTO or F40?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

288 GTO or F40?

1. F40

2. 288 GTO

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    GTOs are cool and have a number of styling features I really love, but the F40 is just awesome. :)

2. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    they are both very nice and very special, but the F40 is faster more stunning and more racy, and the sound..... my hairs are standing up again!!!

3. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    I prefer the 288GTO. Ferrari made way too much F40s.

You can see an F40 at about every Ferrari meeting, but you don't see the 288 GTO at every meeting. Now a days if you see an F40 at a meeting it's not really attracting many people. It's more like an every day Ferrari. But I like the F40 when he's in a row with an F50 and Enzo.

But the 288 GTO evo is the coolest. Very nice, cool racing styling and sooo exclusive. When I saw the one from Jacques Swaters here in Belgium I was amazed that the 288 GTO evo looks so great.

4. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    The 288 looks like a 328/308 on steroids... and I already have one of those. Don't get me wrong, I love the 288. But if I had a choice, I'd take the F40.

5. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    288 looks like a really nice 308, Like a concept 308, but then production tamed it down. So I love the 308/288 style, BUT F40 now theres a cool car, with fast written all over it. F40 looks like a race car. My choice F40.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Where's 'both' please?

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    A little OT, but - love the F40, but quite a few were produced, and for some reason that is a negative to me - perhaps the only one I can think of. Is parts availability really a huge problem with the GTOs? I don't want a museum or display car, I want an excellent condition car I can drive occasionally. Thanks.

8. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    I'd go with the 288 GTO. F40 has huge wing. Huge wing (on a street car) = very silly.

9. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Who would really drive an F40 on the street? I mean really.... It looks like something from the "The Fast and the Furious" Or Maybe some kind of Fiero kit car gone all wrong!! Kinda like those Fiero Lambo kit cars. Have you seen the dash in and F40??

Rick

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    How did you get that deal?? Living with and driving an F40!! A dream come true.

By the way, the F40 is also my vote. I actually had this disussion last night with a friend and I simply stated that the F40 is a car I would love to have or drive simply because it is a pure sports car. None of that fluffy stuff like a radio or leather....a pure sports car. They are so hard to find these days, and the F40 to me is what Ferrari is all about. Pure driving pleasure....ohh to get to ride in one. I would give anything.

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Who would really drive an F40 on the street? I mean really.... It looks like something from the "The Fast and the Furious" Or Maybe some kind of Fiero kit car gone all wrong!! Kinda like those Fiero Lambo kit cars. Have you seen the dash in and F40??"

I sometimes drive our '69 Mini on the street, red with a white roof, white stripes on the hood just like the one in The Italian Job. Driving a car that someone thinks looks like 1Fast or 2Fast doesn't bother me. If I buy an F40, I'm going to drive it on the street occasionally, and maybe even on the track once or twice a year, and think about how blessed I am to have such a beast, rather than how it looks to anyone else.

Now, I might feel goofy self conscious noodling around in a Subaru X90.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You? Amir? Tony would... :D

--Dan

13. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

I was told there are only about 210 F40's in the states. Can anyone confirm this?

I have not had a problem getting drive train stuff for the F40. Maybe since it uses so many parts from other cars. For example, the alternator is the same as a 348. I would Guess the GTO to be the same.
    Body parts on the other hand could be a problem with either car.
    Heck, there is a bunch of stuff no longer available for my ZR1. (sorry, different thread)

Rick