$ 290,000 speeding fine | Page 3 | FerrariChat

$ 290,000 speeding fine

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by treventotto, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Beautiful! The carcasses on the side of the road were the best. I think it'd be great fun to draw a bead on one of those things from a hundred yards away with a big-ass rifle but there are obvious safety ramifications there. Maybe from 1 yard :D

2. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I agree it's ridiculous, but I'm sure it get's the job done.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #53 Marcel Massini, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    They usually don't. And most behave anyway. And the cars all live in secret underground parkings......Fortunately I am only 20 minutes away from the German border and there are still (very few) German autobahns not limited yet. The green party in Switzerland (which is VERY strong) doesn't want you to use automobiles anyway and wants you to use public transport such as trains, buses, etc. Well, now we really are going into a political discussion...........I forgot to mention that radar detectors are totally forbidden in Switzerland, Not just the import of such a device is heavily illegal, also the use of ANY such device. If you have a very modern car with a navigation system installed that also offers points of interests such as radars, the police is allowed to confiscate your car because you are NOT allowed to use ANY such warning device (even if it comes automatically with the navigation system in your brand new car). Local radio stations are no longer allowed to warn their listeners and the public about mobile radars. If police installs a mobile speed camera in a village and some neighbor wants to help (or rather warn) automobilists by placing a discreet placard on the side of the road with the word RADAR and nothing else on it, that neighbor goes to jail! It is even illegal to warn other automobilists, be it by flashing headlights or by placing a discreet placard on the walkway. Huge fines!

Marcel Massini

4. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had a $600 fine for 110 in a 55 North of Baltimore, and that hurt! I can't imagine nearly $300K for 187kph.

_J

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In Switzerland ANY warning is totally and heavily illegal. Police confiscates your car! Seriously. Import and use of devices (even if automatically installed in a navigation system in the car) is strictly forbidden.

Marcel Massini

6. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seems would be unenforceable? If for example tourist drives through with such a car with such system.. how would they know?

Also anyone can easily put same and bury it on an iPhone and do the same job.

They'd have to drag you off to the dungeon and strip search you and device to know.. why would they bother stopping you and look for such a thing? If that's ever going to happen delete icon with tap of finger as well.

Seems way overboard.. hope the Gendarme have better things to do :)

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    They even stop tourists (and since Switzerland can be crossed by car within 3 hours we have A LOT) on the motorway and check cars and their navigation systems. No kidding.

Marcel Massini

8. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Are there any race tracks in Switzerland to safely speed?

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sir, motor racing is strictly forbidden in Switzerland since June 1955 (big accident of Pierre Levegh at Le Mans in France with about 84 people killed). There are NO racetracks in Switzerland and there will never be. Hockenheim in Germany is about 3 hours away, Monza (Italy) about 4 hours, or Dijon (France) about 3 hours.

Marcel Massini

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    The technology exists to automatically detect these offences, which are far more dangerous and would enhance safety far more if enforced properly (ie. a ticket is issued only if the person tailgates for more than 1 or 2 seconds without backing off).

What you need is political will. Politicians are drunk on power and the easy, simplistic way out, and the dumb nanny brigades in their constituencies don't help. There should be a requirement for politicians to have studied both economics and science (and demonstrated competence in these subjects) before they can run for office. And voters should be required to have a minimum IQ and a demonstrated understanding of the relevant issues before being allowed to vote on something.

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Another reason not to go their again.

12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    This might work against a camera, but if you go past a policeman holding a handheld laser or radar and you are exceeding the speed limit by more than 5mph, he can easily tell. Police are trained to visually estimate speed, and they are pretty good at it. Besides, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know you are speeding if you go past doing 80+...

What you need is the cloaking technology that the CIA has that makes you actually invisible by bending light rays around you or by projecting a video of the background behind you on to your front side so you just "disappear". Their radars go crazy, and they fall over themselves saying "Where? Where??" I think I would laugh so hard I would give myself away...but then I could speed away. :D

13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    The net,descibed the driver as a conman?
    IMO the car should be crushed,doing speeds like that on a public road,full on jerk.

14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I hope if this BS ever happens in the US there is an armed revolution.

16. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    That is ridicilous. Seriously, I suspected the Scandinavian countries to be the most strict in this matter, but you guys have it much worse! Eventhough you get to buy cars very cheap...

17. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't forget the usual 'tell' of people going too fast. They see the officer and hit the brakes. Even a little braking causes your car to 'courtsey' very nicely.

18. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Ridiculous. I'm amazed the general population doesn't protest these draconian regulations!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, final question I promise Marcel. Over the last 10 years in North America private race tracks for street cars have become very popular with 25+ opening. Also existing tracks do Driver Experience track days for street cars. Is there anything like this in Europe? I know you can drive street cars around the Nürburgring, but I don't know about the other race tracks or if any new ones opening for members only. Thank you.

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi Marcel,

As somebody mentioned, will they also control my Iphone? I can just put it on vibrate and stick it in my deep pocket... When I approach a radar, my b...s get tickled and I slow down. Voila! Are they really going to body search me?

By the way, I know the Swiss. I lived in Geneva for ten years. In 1982 they caught me on the Lausanne-Geneva highway at 215 km/h in my father's big BMW. I got a 500 Franc fine and 6 months licence suspension. I wonder what the price would have been today?

Cheers,

Julio

21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    ^ Lot of track days possibilities all over Europe. Often private owned tracks which are rented per day by car brand clubs, drifters, small racing event holders and so on. There are also many days known as "open track days" where you just need a working car with no leaks and a helmet. Nothing other than regular driving lisence required on these events.. You just pay a fee on the way in and enjoy your day...

I know this is hugely popular in UK and catching on rest of the continent too!

22. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #72 Simon, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Hi Rob there are hundreds of smaller race tracks for club events all over europe. France Germany and the UK especially. The big circuits (Silverstone, Nurburgring, Spa, Hockenheim)you see on the TV for the big motorsport events also have a healthy club track day calender . Switzerland is (as far as I know) the only country in continental europe that has banned race tracks. Hill climbs and slaloms are allowed but racing on a circuit is banned. There are plenty of people here lobbying for the return of circuits and racing.

23. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #73 Simon, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  24. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The threat of oppressive speeding laws including huge fines plus newer airline security hassles are making traveling a financial risk and inconvenience. Convenient travel, the new form of increased taxation.

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    In the USA, it's called the income tax :)