$ 290,000 speeding fine | Page 4 | FerrariChat

$ 290,000 speeding fine

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by treventotto, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjberg40

sjberg40 Karting

Aug 12, 2007
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can't decide if gloss black or a bright color would be better to spray on the speed camera's lens. Gloss black would blind it while looking normal, police would let it sit longer without realizing it was useless. A bright color would blind it while notifying motorists of the camera's uselessness. All hypothetical, of course.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #77 Marcel Massini, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    You will NOT see any officer! ZERO! The speed cameras are hidden (for example) in regular trash bins normally parked on the boardwalk and look like they are waiting to be emptied. There is just a VERY small hole for the camera lens in the side of that trash bin. Or they have super small cameras built into the headlights (or even the taillights!) of an unmarked and regular road car just parked on the side.

Marcel Massini

3. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Sorry but to me that is absolutely ridiculous. Almost treating the tax payers funding these actions as "enemies".

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    A friend of mine uses the hand brake. Avoids the nose dive. I try not to speed, it's just not worth the stress.
    dave

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #80 Marcel Massini, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    For the Swiss police we ARE enemies in our own country (NO, actually it's not the police but the politicians, government and authorities as the police only does their job)! For those that haven't realized yet, we Swiss motorists are considered milk cows for the state. Nothing else. Seriously and BIG time.

PS: Mid-2009 there was a group of about 10 Asian men that picked up ten brand new sportscars in northern Italy, Lamborghinis, Ferrari 599s, an Aston (I think) , they then drove thru Switzerland on the motorway along the shores of Lake Zurich, at high speed (220 km/h). Limit is 120 km/h. Swiss police catched them. Confiscated all cars. Put ALL men in jail for several weeks! Meanwhile, the confiscated sports cars were parked in a police storage area outdoors, fenced in but outside! While the owners/drivers were in jail, vandals damaged some of the cars. I don't know whose insurance paid all that or not. All ten men were later fined with HUGE, very serious fines (several hundred thousand US$ EACH) and are not allowed to drive any cars in Switzerland or thru Switzerland for at least five or more years.

Marcel Massini

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Its happening world wide,all the fun will be taken out of owning a car within 5 years.

7. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Thats interesting to hear happening in such a nazi state.

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nazis were in Germany.
    I think Switzerland has now become more like EAST Germany used to be (before November 1989).

Marcel Massini

9. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Theres a difference?

10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In ideology, yes. In tactics, no.

11. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Kimi in a gorilla suit comes to mind :D

12. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Our 1 yr old F#cked up hoon laws.... you get caught speeding 45 khm's over the limit you loose ur car 28 days.That's ok if your the offender. This happened here last week doctor takes his lambo/gellardo in for a serv at non dealer w/shop the owner of the shop gets nicked doing 160 khm's in 90 khm zone.
    The story go's.

Hoon laws put Lamborghini's owner on the highway to hell January 8, 2010.

He wasn't driving, he wasn't even in the car, but a Perth doctor says his yellow Lamborghini has taken him down the highway to hell.

A GP with a sole practice in Perth's northern suburbs, had the $200,000 car impounded after his mechanic was caught driving it at speeds up to 160km/h in a 90km/h zone in the city's east on Wednesday.

Dr. had left it in the care of the mechanic at a auto shop to be serviced.

Under Western Australia's anti-hoon laws, police can impound any car exceeding the speed limit by more than 60km/h, even if it is not the property of the driver.

In the only legal avenue open to him, Dr applied to have the car released on hardship grounds after the driver was charged and the car was impounded on Wednesday afternoon.

He accused police of treating him like an offender when he presented himself at perth police station, where the car was first impounded, to lodge a release application.

"I was made to wait in a small room for an hour and a half," Dr said.

"I was only told I could go when I asked how long I was going to be there. I felt I was just being kept there unnecessarily.

"I haven't heard from the police since.

"I found out my application had been rejected from a Channel Nine reporter."

He said he had also discovered through media reports that it will cost him $900 to release his car from impoundment and that his only way to obtain general compensation would be to sue the alleged offender.

Dr said he uses the Lamborghini as his everyday and only car and has not received a penalty point in the three years he has owned it.

He said it appeared the politics of envy were being played out in his bid to recover the luxury vehicle.

"(Police Minister) Rob Johnson confirmed it," Dr said.

"He said if he can afford a half-million (dollar) car he can afford to hire a vehicle.

"That would be fair enough ... but I am not the offender."

Mr Johnson has not commented publicly since telling reporters on Thursday he had "some sympathy" for Dr .

But he added: "It's a situation that he has to take up with the garage owner.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for, simply because somebody who owns a Lamborghini does not have that car for 28 days."

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan, the only person entitled to permit a car to be released early, said on Friday the anti-hoon legislation did not permit him to authorise the Lamborghini's release.

Opposition Leader Eric Ripper said Mr O'Callaghan appeared to be acting on a correct interpretation of the law.

"So the responsibility comes back to the police minister," Mr Ripper said.

"Unfortunately this is a police minister who struggled through most of last year with an increasing lack of credibility on many issues."

13. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Sounds like Switzerland is quite the Scroogie place. In reference to cars, that is.

They need to borrow some excitement from their Italian brothers. Would do them good...

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Actually if you can go 50 in the alps, that's a hair raising experience. But on the highway, its ridiculously slow, and nobody in their right mind speeds on the main highways. Maybe the guy can please insanity.