$295k 365 at Berlinetta Motorcars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$295k 365 at Berlinetta Motorcars

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bill Sawyer, Aug 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    My GT4 just asked if this was it's dad! You guys know these cars much better than I do but I've always thought these seem like bargains-they are relatively rare-but it sounds like this would be a near record sale if they got this ask

2. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #27 geno berns, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    I know what you mean. I believed that the very good to the best 365 BB's were $200-$250K just a few minutes ago. But as of late with the craziness taking place in the market I knew the "more rare" version of the BB's would be the first to pop. I've had multiple people over the last two years wanting my 365 BB. Offers from knowledgeable collectors to FCA Judges ranged in the $190-$225K range. When the yellow car became available, a car I been after for years, and the owner wanted $350K. That high number did not sway me. It was an untouched never taken apart 4200 mile car. Not too many of those left I believe. I just needed a couple of days to see if some one would step up and pay more for my car so I can justify the new purchase. Two people were in the running with one being more aggressive. Rightfully so as you can not just run out and find a very high quality 365 BB now can you? Daytonas, Dinos and may other rare Ferraris are much easier to find for sale. Even your 275 GTBs are always there "on sale"! With about 60-80 365 BBs in the US it's a real challenge to buy a good 365 BB. They come up only once in a great while. By the way the initial prospect backed out of buying my car as during the test drive the upper hose came off and flooded the upper part of the engine with coolent. It looked like a bond fire I was told. The car need to be towed back to Continental, LOL!! The prospect got spooked. The hose was put back on and the clamp tightened that that was it...

Geno

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Scared money never wins....:D :D :D

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Word!

5. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    First of all, you are seriously loaded if a 'bond fire' is a common site! Kidding due to my insane jealousy over a car that could ever be any better than your blue 365. :)

So, presumably the coolant hose got done, then 'another' buyer surfaced and got the car? If so, good to hear that demand is there. It was/is always a matter of time. The cars are just too special, as this forum has believed for years.

Unless you've told it elsewhere and I missed it, what all was involved in the sale? In-depth PPI, big time "numbers" check, mechanical physical? Just checking as I don't deal in this realm but am interested.

All appears to bode well for the time and work put into the BBi I've enjoyed for 5 years. And still enjoying by the way! Was a 'dream' car for me for many years.

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    By the way I meant bonfire not bond fire...

Yes Continental had another buyer lined up in case the other one did not go for it. The dealer knew the car well, but still performed a compression and leak down as well as checked the car all around.

I am with you, these are special cars Adams...

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    agreed. this car is not 100% original.it should not be advertised as such

8. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    The Ferrari of Ontario bb365 is for sale @ 290

Have a friend who is considering it.

9. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Doug from Berlinetta emailed me back - the 365BB is sold.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

doug has been in the biz for a long time...I suspect he knew the car would sell at the number despite having a few items to address. I am also sure that is was a well turned out car particularly if doug oversaw paint and resto work.

these cars are on fire now...get your boxers while you can!!

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    A 512 BBi is coming up for auction offered by RM Auctions in Monterey. Their estimate is $150,000-$200,000.

I didn't dig into the description but based on what is happening to the pre-1990 Ferrari market, and especially based on what is happening to the pre-1970's market, I predict the upper ranges of that estimate will be reached.

-F

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Really, then why are so many not selling at 125K which appear to be in nice condition. IMO, the only way that car sells for that money is if 3 morons who are drunk getting into a bidding war.

13. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Really, then why are so many not selling at 125K which appear to be in nice condition. IMO, the only way that car sells for that money is if 3 morons who are drunk getting into a bidding war.
    Yesterday 01:43 PM

Well put!!!

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #39 AHudson, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    Either that or they realize that those who've put the 365 market around $300k are not all drunk morons.

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Daytona prices have been coming up recently maybe following the 330GTC which has had quite a run. I imaging this will push up Boxer prices like it did last time.

If I remember correctly (circa 1989) a $500K Daytona meant a $200K 512BB or BBi. Maybe this will hold, maybe not.

But I agree that there are nice one's out there at $125K.

We will see.

Drew

16. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Is it the recently restored one? Anymore info please.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not considered correct because its dealer installed as a sport upgrade not on the assembly line. My BBi came with 365 headers and ansa mufflers (sport exhaust option) from new which was dealer installed and subject to points deductions.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The 365BB market is much smaller than the 512BB(i) varients and it has been going up and to me it appears to be attracting the money from speculators and people who want a first generation car with a more raw feel. The later 512BBis have moved somewhat, but are no where keeping pace with early cars. For 512BBi to reach back to '89 200K levels, you are looking at 375K just for inflation adjusted. IMO, I don't see this anytime soon.

I happen to like 512BBi because of the fuel injection, but this is also a negative as they are more expensive to maintain/repair if something goes awry. Regardless there are some nice 512BBis for sale and they seem to sit for awhile where 365s sell quite fast, so the market is quite different on the 2 cars right now.

I have never speculated on a car and would not on a Boxer even 365s at 350K or 512BB(i)s 125-160K have to skyrocket to make any money over a long period of time.

19. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
  20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Abo,

Thanks for the link. I started a thread on this car and included the pics for all to see.

Cheers,

Sam

21. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #46 ExcelsiorZ, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Hey gene...this is Stuart...I think you are the guy is was talking with at ferrari tributo newt York...I had the white/crema/re 512 bbi...your car is stunning...NEVER SELL HER!!!.all boxers are great...I found a 365 but it needed work...the 512 I have is absolutely original which is what sold me as " they are only original on e"...keep in touch, stuart

23. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Park a 512BB next to a Dino. Enough said. (Dinos selling $400k to a staggering $700k plus.) As for the injection, it is far easier/cheaper to live with than the carbs, IMO.

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding some additional Doc on chassis 17847... It is listed for sale in Hemmings with an asking price of $508 985 USD:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ferrari/365gt4/2069480.html

with additional pics located:

https://www.ccsmotors.com/1974-ferrari-365-gt4-bb-c-1.htm

Chassis 17847 was also listed in the classified ads in 2016 too:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/365-gt4-bb.509634/#post-144416284

Wow, how times have changed... $295K USD Ask in 2013 and now $509K USD Ask in 2019...

Cheers,

Sam

Hemmings ad info

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    wait some more years, even now the CIS parts are getting rare, but carb parts still available
    easier? that could be, but not cheaper