296 Carplay | FerrariChat

296 Carplay

Discussion in '296' started by mateifu, Jan 23, 2023.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mateifu

mateifu Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Matei
    Hello,

I just placed an order for a 296 GTB, I was looking at videos of the car online and noticed that carplay is covering the whole of the dashboard. Living in Europe, apps such as waze can help you keep your driving licence and have fun at the same time.

Is there any way of having waze open and to see your tachometer?

Thanks

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe you may be able to see some kind of virtual tachometer with the HUD and also make sure to order the steering wheel LED rev lights. I agree its a bit of a shame that you can't have the giant tach display when the CarPlay is active.

PieGre and gzachary like this.
  3. mateifu

mateifu Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Matei
    I see, thats a shame. I don't remember the hud being on the options list, is it standard?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Yep. That’s my understanding and so is the passenger display. Interestingly, passengers can control Apple CarPlay from their display. I think this is a new feature. I don’t think u can do that with the Portofino M passenger display, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dino_Argento, Caeruleus11 and mateifu like this.
  5. sharkblue

sharkblue Rookie

Oct 23, 2023
    CarPlay is not worth using in the 296 due to the lack of a center display.

Dino_Argento likes this.
  6. Dino_Argento

Dino_Argento Karting

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Dino Diary
    Full agree - keep it switched off which is a great shame and a really bad piece of design… the whole new user interface on the current generation of Ferraris leaves a lot to be desired - a combination of information overload and low usability… crazy at this level

Juvendude, RADONCulous and Ivan Drago like this.
  7. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    CarPlay does overtake the dash display, however, you can see the tachometer readings (race style) via Race Mode in HUD. It’s not as pretty or gratifying as it is to see in the dash but a work around. Another work around is when you switch out of CarPlay to regular Ferrari display by pressing the home button, the turn by turn directions will appear in the dash on one of the four side areas; just the next turn details. Also, if you’re playing music thru Spotify, that also will appear in one of the four areas with album artwork. You can of course rearrange the side displays to show both these details in the left or right side. The real problem is not all this, clicking in and out of CarPlay or choosing anything from the myriad menu options using haptic controls while driving is a nightmare; u need the finesses of a Swiss watchmaker while trying to focus on the road. They seem to have addressed this issue on the purosangue steering wheel; some of the Haptic Touch controls have been replaced with buttons that you can click thru. Wish Ferrari would accept the full Haptic Touch steering wheel is a failure and swap out for free. But we all know that ain’t happening… ever .

Ivan Drago, IvanRico and Dino_Argento like this.