296 GTB or 296 Spider? | FerrariChat

296 GTB or 296 Spider?

Discussion in '296' started by RarriFrost, Mar 23, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RarriFrost

RarriFrost Rookie

Feb 20, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dr. H
    I'm very grateful to have an allocation for 296, I have the option to choose between the GTB or Spider.

Looking at the photos of the GTB, the engine bay doesn't look as "exposed" as the previous models. I guess because it's a hybrid?

This leans me toward the Spider but I'm still very unsure.

I'm a rookie at this so if this is a no-brainer please let me know.

Thank you!

2. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    My dealer insisted I chose coupe or spider at the time of downpayment and that it was not a choice later. I chose coupe. How is ur dealer able to offer u a choice?
    My dealer insisted I chose coupe or spider at the time of downpayment and that it was not a choice later. I chose coupe. How is ur dealer able to offer u a choice?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How can dealers make customers choose a car that does not officially exist ?

4. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    Dealer said v r taking deposits for spider even though spider has not been announced. I suppose spider deposit will sit with them and coupe order they enter into Ferrari order portal.

RarriFrost likes this.
  5. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    You will likely wait longer for the Spider than the GTB.
    It really comes down to whether you like open top cars better, in my view.
    I prefer the Spider always but others do not.
    I like hearing more of the engine with the top down.
    In my 488 Spider I can lower the rear window with the top up which still gives me the sound I'm always looking for while driving.

I wouldn't make your choice based on what you can see or not see of the engine bay.

Shorn355 likes this.
  6. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    My dealer opined strongly that it’d be a targa and not spider. He explained the roof will most likely go behind the seats. I agree with his logic. Besides, coupe will be lighter and stiffer. Yes, sound will be little muted but there is a compromise in either choice.

7. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Thanks for the info.

8. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    If the roof goes behind the seats that is going to be less leg room and the coupe is already a bit tight for me at 6' 3. Obviously depends on if you are long in the legs or body.

BigJay2050 likes this.
  9. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    If the roof goes behind the seats and is a manual operation then I don't want one. :(

DQSF likes this.
  10. williocom

williocom Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    I was told by my dealer for the 296 the only way to get the spider is if you order the coupe first.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You may want to find a new dealer. That’s not accurate at all.

chet, SonomaRik, mj1214 and 2 others like this.
  12. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    That looks like a dealer looking to get your "old" coupe in p/x for the spider.

There is no reason why you have to buy the coupe first but... a dealer will likely bump you up the queue if you have a p/x they want and they will have limited numbers, even for a "standard" model. As @mkraft3003 said, try another dealer.

mj1214 likes this.
  13. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #13 MisterMaranello, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Most serious dealers are talking about a 2 year wait time for the GTB, which sounds correct considering the correct order book volume for the factory. There are some salespeople which [in many cases out of inexperience] will "promise" earlier delivery, but this is most often not realistic.

I saw the F8 Spider summer 2019, before the official presentation. The first F8 Spider to arrive here was delivered just under 10-11 months ago. Even taking covid delays into the equation, the order book is now fuller than ever for new car orders. There is no reason to expect the deliver time will sway in favor of the Spider - probably as long if not longer then the GTB from deposit confirmed by the factory to delivery. More final calibration required on a convertible than a coupe during R&D. GTB has been out long enough now that it should start being shipped very soon, entering business as usual.

Regarding the comment of the engine bay being less exposed - the block in the SF90 and 296 is placed so low you have to take quite the long look to get a good glimpse.

If you want a Spider and are prepared to wait 2 years, considering the factory is not yet locking in orders, then you do that. If you want a GTB as a warmup act and sleep well with taking a loss when a Spider arrives (at more or less the same time as ordering it standalone), you do that.

Also a dealer claiming GTB required first for a Spider is silly and unprofessional.

chet, SonomaRik, mj1214 and 3 others like this.
  14. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    I was told the same. Need to order a coupe to get a spider allocation. Maybe I just don't buy enough cars?

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They try that **** just hold your ground and offer only a deposit for spider

MisterMaranello likes this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Not over here (in Europe), we can order both.

17. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    GTB and Spider belong to the same product category offered to the same tier of clients.

There is no distinction from the factory that I'm aware of, that should limit the possibility to purchase a Spider from a drop in client. This has to my knowledge never been the case in recent times. The distinction between coupe and convertible has been on the Special Series models, offering the Aperta versions to clients one tier above the coupe.

Although Ferrari North America may run a different game then what we get here in Europe, there is no known precedent to me, that should validate this way of doing business.

I would advise anyone in the market for a Spider who's being given the runaround by their salesperson to order a coupe first, to start asking some critical questions. In my opinion this is a sleazy modus operandi for short term gains on quarterly sales reports, versus building long lasting client relationships. My dealer has already offered the Spider to several of my friends, even though it's not even launched and they don't have an order down for any new car.

victorg likes this.
  18. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Well, looks like I got duped. I already ordered the coupe to get in line for the spider.

19. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    I ordered the coupe to get the spider as well. Who knows how many 296 GTS units they'll produce or when we will receive our cars? I figure I'll have the GTB for a year while waiting for a GTS order to get filled. Will I take a loss on the GTB? Probably although not definitely and I know its likely that I'll have a build slot for the GTS ahead of someone else who doesn't have a GTB on order...or a long list of Ferrari purchases besides a 296 GTB.

BigJay2050 likes this.
  20. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    I wasn’t given the impression that I HAD to buy the GTB to get into a GTS, but that it would likely be the fastest path. Who knew how long it would take the GTS to come along. When it does I’m sure there will be plenty of GTB folks in a long queue who may consider flipping over. I heard that at the current order rate the GTB books could close by year end - who knows if there’s truth to that.

I took the same approach. Get into a GTB for a year or more while I wait on GTS. Best case it holds its value in the current market and I drive it for essentially the interest+tax carry cost. Worst case it’s depreciation is what I’d likely lose on year 1 of GTS ownership anyway, and in the meantime I get the car a year+ early, albeit with a fixed top.

IF I didn’t have an order in early already, at this point I’d go with whatever I prefer to keep. Not a big gap between now and GTS release. But my guess is you’re almost guaranteed to get a GTB delivery sooner than a GTS for quite a while.

Jarusse5 and IvanRico like this.
  21. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    I wonder how many of those GTB orders are those that purchased to flip into a GTS. Put another way, I wonder what the split would be if the option to order either were on the table.

22. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    I ordered both in Germany. But never hear from this rule. But the best you can do is, to order both. Drive the 296 GTB for a year and sell for10.000 - 20.000 Euro more. Then start with the 296 Spider. Nobody will lose a cent in Europa if you order an 296 GTB. Perhaps different in North America.

And we all know the 296 GT3 is released. So if you ordered the 296 GTB and 296 Spider you have a nearly 100 percent chance to get the 296 Pista or how they call the car later.

Cheaper you can not drive a car. This is my personal opinion.

IvanRico and DQSF like this.
  23. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I have a 308 as a daily driver in San Diego. not many times the top is on - so it becomes a moot issue if this happens.

24. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    GTB order book officially closed as of this past week! Roma orders closed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

IvanRico likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Depends where you are.